Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I have all of them, including Barry's! They just give them to me when they want a new one. LOL. Serioulsy, I would think that some of them are kept by the factory to inspect parts and such, since they are using the race track as a proving ground for our future stock bikes. Now, the teams like MotoXXX, who are not factory backed probably sell them or donate them for charity giveaways. I really don't know, but that is my guess.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I don't know about anyone else but I know some riders like Jeff Fredette sell them. Jeff auctioned one of his race bikes off on Ebay. Unfortunatly I didn't get to see what the high bid was. But I figure most of the riders sell them and donate the money to charity, or the money goes into parts.

Ben

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
After most of the off-road races that I have witnessed, the Pro bikes resemble nothing more than a steaming, quivering, smoking, pile of rubble.
I don't want one!

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
Originally posted by Jon K.
After most of the off-road races that I have witnessed, the Pro bikes resemble nothing more than a steaming, quivering, smoking, pile of rubble.
I don't want one!

looks like you called it Jon

here is my little adventure:

much thanks to you guys for the info, but i saw the bike and decided its a BIG NO!
first the guy lied to me after i asked him repeatedly about the bike. i get there and im so pissed, a 5 hour(10+ round trip) drive to take a look at what was something that should have had some maintenance.
barry sold the bike to current owner, he raced it and didnt maintane it.
i estimate the bike at 10-12k new, but as it sits your pretty much buying parts. motor wasnt too bad but would need a rebuild shortly(like next week), dented swingarm(i asked atleast 5 times about the SA), the following were shot , fr pads & rotor,r pads & rotor, chain , sprockets F&R, rust all over frame, 2 coats of rust on the PC raw pipe, and a triple clamp turned into a standard double clamp with the holes filled in with silicone ??? i have no idea i guess he didnt want the aluminum to pit who knows. but it was done to both sides.
if i had not been lied to i think i would have taken the bike. only to have to rebuild it. but i bet the motor work alone was over 1300.00. but when sellers lie to me even if i can see past it , it just makes me not want anything. problem with that is almost every idiot out there lies. oh i dont know, i have no idea, i think it was... and so on and so on. you know the way the lies roll out.
so 10 hours later im home 130 bucks shorter then when i left but i bike seed money is still in hand.
next time im taking all my guns and playing with them while i look at the items FOR SALE ! ;o)

damn it im not a happy camper today. i gave up riding for 2 days on top of this sh*t.

well i vented thanks again for the input guys.

Red

and the spark plug award goes to JON K. for calling it in advance.

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
Steve Hatch grew up and lived in this area before his move to Arizona. I have friends that have bought and ride his ex-race and practice bikes. The funny thing is that they seem to multiply. Any time a RM or RMX 250 comes up for sale you hear that it was Steve's bike! Only problem that seems to occur is replacing parts. The bikes can be put together with what was thought to be the best parts. One years forks, another years shock, etc. You don't get a parts list either. Alan Randt sells Mike Lafferty's race bikes each year. There was a thread on the ECEA board about this a year or so ago. The bikes are totally rebuilt before being sold. A local rider who rides hare scrambles and motocross bought Steve Lamson's Factory Husky CR250 from Ferracci's team this past winter. Every trick bit for what one cost retail. So all race bikes aren't bad.

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
i agree but the KEY to this story was Hawk's bike had been sold to another rider. that is where the problem comes in.
here is the other problem , for some reason people think they can buy a bike ride it ,beat the piss out of it and say " i ride hard" well then they have to pay hard too. who wants to buy someone else's broken down bike unless its cheap enough to compensate the new owner.
if any of you ever buy a bike or atv from me you will know exactly what your getting. i prefer to just spend the cash and make it right so there isnt any of that , well this is bad and that needs replacing.
i dont say **** like " oh it will last another season dont worry about a warped rotor. BS what the hell at least buy a 75 dollar rotor.
when ever you see little stupid things that are left for the new owner when they really need to be replaced, tells you a little story how the bike is taken care of.just imagine if stopping isnt important then a oil change is way in the back of an empty head.

as i said it had some decent parts but they had been used up, or should i say " rode hard". good grief charlie brown !!! UGH

the ride hard guys are always the ones with the bad parts , guess its to show how hard they ride. how about ride hard and dont brake sh*t.

my instinct told me not to waste my time but on the other hand if it worked out then i would have been a happy camper.

"dirt biking good clean fun"

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
and yes you are correct there is no build sheet on the bike at all.
and i have a feeling if i were to call ProCircuit that they wouldnt tell me how the engine was built. im sure they have a build sheet for the bike but it was answered with another I DONT KNOW.

"dirt biking good clean fun"

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I have seen the Garrahan Brothers selling their old bikes on their wensite before. Most recently a 300exc

CRfury

Jan 16, 2003
Up here in Canada you can buy really good race bikes. Blackfoot racing sells all of the used practice and race bikes for about the price of a new model at there dealership. You get all the goodies and they have usually been completely rebuilt. Tom Morgan does most of the engines and suspension I dont know much about him but he must do good work to be used by Canada's top teams. I don't know anyone personally that has bought one but from looking at them and the build sheet you can tell they are awsome machines that have been extremely well taken care of.

Eric

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, pro's bikes are probably so wore out you wouldnt what to try to ride it,, but iw ould pay a good bit to own the bike rode by rick johnson at unidilla des nations, just to put it on a stand, still with original mud and all.

bigborefan

Oct 17, 2003
I drove 7 hours to buy a KX 500. It was a 94 off of ebay. The good news is it was better than advertised. I bought what basically amouts to a near brand new 10 year old motorcycle for less than 2K. But I agree, I am tired of seeing ads for mint, near mint, clean, bikes that are just crap, and need major work. I looked for six months on ebay before I found this one. As far as the pros bikes go, they are trick, but remember these guys ride hard and fast, they stretch frames, break shocks, etc. Things we would never think of.

Top Bottom