danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
So I just got back from college and was elated to fire up my dirt bike for the first time in...well 10 months! So I bring it out, fill it up with fresh premium fuel and fresh premix. This thing is a 91' KX250 that just came off a complete enigine rebuild with new seals, bearings, etc. Anyways, I start it up and ride it around a little bit and notice that its smoking a lil too much like its running rich, so I decide to go back and rejet it for summer. I changed the needle clip position to the top position and left the pilot jet at 38 and dropped the main to 152. I put it all back together and ride it around and it responds real well, with great throttle response..until i hit the power band. When I floor it down a flat road and hit the powerband, a decent amount of blue smoke poofs out until I back off the throttle, considerably more than what comes out at lower rpms. I go back to smell he smoke and it smells like its burning tranny oil. I think to myslef that it cant be the crank seals, becuase I replaced those when I rebuilt it. The only thing that comes to mind is this: when I took it out of storage, I noticed that it had leaked some oil out of the drainplug and had dropped the oil level a bit. I went to go fill it up and put too much in, like it was at the very top of the oil fill window. This makes me think that since I overfilled it with oil, that maybe at high rpms, its generating enough vacuum to suck in the excess oil, and will jst continue to burn excessive blue smoke until the oil level is back down to normal. I would realy like to know what heppens to the excess oil when one overfills their transmission. Does it just sit there, or does it find ways to be burnt off or leak out someplace?
I also thought that maybe its been sitting too long, it just needs to be ridden and cleaned out. Can any of you confirm my suspicions, or perhaps let me know of another problem that may have occured.

Thanks for the help.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
There should be a breather pipe leading from the top of the tranny to the air box. Sometimes the breather pipe comes out on top of the air filter and drips excess tranny oil on to the filter which could be sucked in with the air causing the rich condition.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
you probably leaned it out too much. i'm not sure what the stock jetting on a 91 is but my 01 is a 160 main jet, 52 slow jet and 2nd clip on the needle. remember to make small changes with jetting. I'll take black smoke over blue smoke any day.

Top Bottom