Where in Michigan to ride this weekend?

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Anyone have any suggestions? Here in the UP we're under 1 to 3 feet of snow yet! A bunch of us are gettin a bit antsy to go riding, so we're gonna venture below the Bridge this weekend, looking for some trails to ride!
Hope some of you "down-staters" can give us some thoughts on which trails might be passable/rideable.
Thanks for your help!

------------------
Magoo
Fear is Temporary, Regret is Permanent!

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Your are going to have to venture way south of the bridge. The only problem is that areas that you can ride are in the northern half of the lp and still have snow.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I was thinking of possibly Gladwin? There's also Evart, or even Newaygo? I don't know how far south the snow goes, but I hope it's thin enough somewhere that we can ride. Maybe there's a pocket somewhere that isn't too buried with the white stuff.
Got any suggestions on where to look?

------------------
Magoo

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
magoo, do not go to evart, the west side had a lot of snow and somes still there, i went to evart for the first ride two years ago and will never make that mistake again, some snow in gladwin is alright because the sand never makes for frozen ground syndrome, i've been told just patchy snow there,warning! make sure your waterproof, i've started more drowned bikes there than anywhere else! i might even go saturday myself, if the weathers right.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by WALKMAN:
magoo, do not go to evart, the west side had a lot of snow and somes still there, i went to evart for the first ride two years ago and will never make that mistake again, some snow in gladwin is alright because the sand never makes for frozen ground syndrome, i've been told just patchy snow there,warning! make sure your waterproof, i've started more drowned bikes there than anywhere else! i might even go saturday myself, if the weathers right.

Walkman, if you decide to make that Sunday I can meet you in route to Gladwin and join you. I need to get on the bike for the first tiem and get a feel for it, break it in and do some carb tuning. This way I (we) can scope out the riding quality up there. E-mail me if that's cool. I may go up there by myself just to do the tuning and break in anyway.

------------------
Oh Oh 220

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Gladwinas far as I know still has snow. The forecast is calling for rain in the next few days. That should help with the snow.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I guess it's gonna be a crap shoot...
Will probably try Gladwin or Laota areas. I talked to the DNR office in Roscommon, and they said there is still some piles of snow around, but for the most part it's just about all gone.
Maybe some riding late Sat evening, but for sure Sunday, somewhere down there! As we narrow this down, I'll keep ya posted; maybe we can hook up.

------------------
Magoo

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
From all the years I lived in Michigan, UP, Grand Rapids and Detroit. I remember the East side of the State always has less snow. You might call the park office for Genesee County Parks and see how the Mounds is now. It's a dirt riding area North of Flint.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Magoo, I just talked to my uncle who was at my camp this weekend There is still 6-8 inches of snow in the woods.The camp is located between Leota and Gladwin. About the only place I know of with Zero snow would be the Mounds, but that is a 6 hour drive for you and the whole facility is not open yet( part of it is closed during the spring).

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
It's starting to look grim... :(
I'll call around a bit more, to see if there are any possible areas with little/no snow.
I wonder why the Roscommon DNR office said there was "very little snow, most of the ground is bare."?
I'll post whatever I find out; hope anyone with some info/help will too!
Oh, and SHHH! bwalker, MQT is supposed to be our Yooper little secret! ;) (I saw your other post!)

------------------
Magoo

[This message has been edited by Magoo (edited 03-29-2001).]

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Just got off the phone with field representatives with the DNR, who have been in the woods as of yesterday!
Gladwin officer reports no snow on the Gladwin trail, but LOTS of water and MUD!! He says that you'd probably want to stay off of it with a bike, but 4X4 quads would probably have fun. He said many riders bring rope to haul their toys out when they get stuck!
Roscommon officer says conditions are variable on the Laota trail, but mostly snow-free. He saw some "ORVers" on the trail yesterday. Sounds like that trail is drier than Gladwin.
I'll be checking with my riding buds later today to try to nail down where we'll be heading. I hope Nathan doesn't want to do a mud run first thing!! I'm more interested in an easier first ride of the season!

------------------
Magoo

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I just got off the phone with a KAw dealer in Clare MI and they have absolutly no snow in Clare, Evert or Farwell. Also no snow in Gladwin either. I plan to go to Gladwin on Sunday to "pit race" a bit and get some time on my motor but I plan on staying out of the deep water and real muddy stuff. I really don't want to trash my new bikes bearings etc on the first ride, just want to get a feel for the bike. I am not sure where to go to find the trail head. Is there a north and south trail head? I'd be willing to meet someone in Evert or Farwell too if interested. Feel free to e-mail me.

------------------
Oh Oh two twenty

[This message has been edited by Fred T (edited 03-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fred T (edited 03-30-2001).]

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Fred T, if you travel to Gladwin the trail head is located off of M-61. Take the Standish exit off of Hwy 75 and go west. You will go about 10 miles (past the road to Bentley). The trail head (including parking area and toilets) is on the south side of M61.
I can not ride this weekend, but I am planning to ride on the 6th. Have fun!!! :)

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Staying in Houghton Lake, will be riding primarily the Leota trail. Hope to see some DRNers there!

------------------
Magoo

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo, How were the trails in Leota? Were you able to cover a lot of ground miles? I hope it was worth the trip across the bridge.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
We rode the trails in Leota on Sunday (April Fools Day!). It was sometimes a bit treacherous in the thick woods areas with lots of standing water covering icy stretches of trail, and the occasional piles of snow. Overall though, we had a great time! Once we found some of the the more open (less treed and sheltered) areas, the riding was really pretty good! We rode for about 3 hours -- probably only put on about 30-35 miles. We had several guys out on maiden voyages with their new bikes (Nick wants everyone to know his Cannondale DID NOT breakdown once :)), and since it WAS the first ride of the season, we really took it pretty easy.
I'd say that you'll have pretty darn good conditions next weekend, with some residual snow and ice to be on the lookout for. Certainly nothing to keep you away! If you know the trail there, you'll probably be able to get more mileage in (we had no clue, just kinda poked around to find rideable area). Our best luck was looping around the corner markers 18,19,22,24,25 (if I remember right). Fun trail, it was GREAT to get out and ride!!

------------------
Magoo

[This message has been edited by Magoo (edited 04-02-2001).]

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
bwalker - yes, Nick Z. is riding a Cannondale this year! He is so far very pleased with the bike, and is looking forward to racing (A-class) D14 and D16 enduros on it.

fatherandson - yes I know Ken and Carole. I ride with the Sandstormers Club weekly; Ken's work schedule doesn't allow him to ride as often as (I know) he'd like, but he is and Carole are very active (and are a HUGE help) in many of our club activities. I hope my wife will (one day) be as good a rider as Carole is! They are good people (and have some great kids who are learning to ride!), who really enjoy the sport.

------------------
Magoo

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
I rode the Sands enduro course with nick last year and could not keep that old bugger in sight. Not to shabby for a guy twice my age.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo, Ken has helped my dad and I a couple of times with our section of the Jack Pine enduro. I have offered to travel to Marquette to help with the Sandstormer enduro. Maybe this year in July.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
bwalker - LOL! I know what you mean! I just look at him and shake my head in disbelief at how fast he can ride! I will say, though, he does share his enjoyment of the sport with others, and will ride with anyone. I certainly can't keep up with him, but he's always willing to go out on a ride with me (and doesn't usually complain TOO much about my spodely ability!).

fatherandson - Ken is really pretty good at setting up trail, and usually sets up some of the more, ummm, "interesting" sections of trail for our enduro! We can always use additional helpers at our event. We'd enjoy having you up here!

------------------
Magoo

Top Bottom