jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
i went to bed hearing th news say there is a winter Storm warning and the city of east point has already called a snow emergency.
i woke up to:::::::: nothing, dry pavement.
i bought a new sled two years ago and i regret every second of it.
both of my brothers bought new ones last year and they are both talking about selling them to buy new 450's.. well one 450 and one with training wheels...

my friends are making plans for tip up town, the last thing i want to do is ride that week. with how little snow we have been getting i can only imagine the amount of drunk sled geeks.

i guess i need to buy a snow maker to cover the property i bought in st. clare county

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
We still have some snow. We are supposed to get some all next week but that is just an educated guess.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It's coming. It has been snowing like crazy for the last hour here in Grand Rapids.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My family rode snowmobiles for 10 years up around the Grayling area (1974-84). We rarely ever had a problem with lack of snow. We'd spend a week between Christmas and New Year's, and always have enough snow. From January on, we'd play in waist-deep snow out in the fields. Sold the cabin in the late '80s, and got out of the sport for the most part.

I don't know if it's just as a kid the snow seemed so much deeper, but Michigan seems to have been in a snow drought for the past 10-15 years. Living in southeastern Michigan, I've yet to purchase a snow blower in the 15 years I've owned a home. Occasional shoveling is like free exercise, and for rare blizzards, it still only costs me $50-60 per year for the guy down the street to plow my driveway (it's a big one).

Snowmobiling is an expensive sport considering the amount of riding you can do in Michigan. The U.P. is a different story, but over the past few years I know guys who have driven 7+ hours up to the U.P. in search of snow, and even then it's been marginal. At $5,000 - $10,000 a sled, it's a lot to spend to ride on bare trails. And you can snowmobile 3, maybe 4 months out of the year. With dirt bikes it's a solid 8 months, or if you're hardcore (crazy? :eek: ) it's 365 days a year! (Woodsy! :worship: )

My advice is to head out west a few times a year if you can. We've snowmobiled Yellowstone and the surrounding mountains and valleys. It is absolutely incredible. 800 miles of 8'-10' wide, immaculately groomed trails. You ride across miles and miles of virgin fields with 3'-4' of powder. You have to stop with your sled pointing downhill, and before you stop you have to circle a few times to pack down the snow. When you step off the sled, you are up to your waist or chest in powder. Coming around a mountain pass, we ran into 40-50 bison grazing. They were blocking the trail, so we had to cut trail down the side mountain. You can rent everything out there. Get a guide for the first few days, then set out and explore with your own group. The scenery and snow conditions will make it one of the best adventure trips you will have ever taken.

I know the lack of snow here really kills the ski and snowmobile businesses. My kid just got a new snowboard, drove up to Alpine Valley last night - and they were closed! And I know a dealer that had about 100 sleds left over from last season. Do you know how much it costs to store and finance 100 snowmobiles? :scream:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Oh yeah?

Well I'm booked for 3 nights at the world renowned Shanty Creek Resort. That's right, 39" base and 450' of heart pounding vertical! Fortunately you get a nice 3 minute ride up on the chairlift after the intense 24 second runs. :confused:

And no long flights or jet lag to deal with either. Nope, I'm the pilot of a Venture minivan, and my passengers are 3 kids... for a 4 hour drive... :scream:

Seriously Magoo, going to Alta rocks....

Where are you staying? We've stayed at the Alta Peruvian. Short walking distance, but the rustic lodge w/ bunk-style rooms, combined with awesome food, fit right in with the Alta experience. They even pack a hearty deli sandwich for your backpack in the morning so you don't have to come in for lunch.

If you go into the Goldminer's Daughter bar, at the base of Wildcat, see if there is a big, tall, black guy named "Bill" working the bar. You can't miss him. He is in his 60's, and a slalom skiing world champion in his class. Big picture of him water skiing behind the bar. He's a good friend of my step-dad.

Better rent some powder fatties! :worship:

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Smit-Dog, I'm actually going to be staying at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird. Gonna be skiing with some friends; will be sneaking up to Alta and, I hope one day to Snowbasin (my new favorite place to ski!). I'm taking a Big Mountain Freeskiing and Backcountry Skills Clinic based out of Snowbird.
At least the toe doesn't hurt TOO bad in the ski boot -- but I haven't pushed it thru 6 days of big mountain skiing yet either! :ugg:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
We did Snowbird one day. Bigger than Alta, but also A LOT more crowded, lift lines, and snow boarders! :|

The night life was much better at Snowbird though. At Alta, it's non-existent. Depending on when you're going, the Sundance Film Festival is in Park City Jan 15-25. We caught Sundance one year. Pretty wild (for Utah anyway). Check out the sights and sounds if you get a chance. BTW, the "No Name Saloon" rocks (but the drinking laws are whacked!).

Post some pics when you get back to make me drool with jealously! :cool:

Top Bottom