Where to dispose of old 2stroke fuel?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
P.S.

I know my statement is "backwoods shade tree mechanic "talk but isnt far off the mark. "burning" for oxidizing and the "collecting the stuff that won't burn" for impurities adhering to the catalist plating

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
OK, I admit it, I don't mow my own grass. I hate yardwork. To this end, I have a great relationship with my yardman. Every Friday when he shows up, he leaves his premix jug open for me and I dump off my old fuel. Usually about a half gallon. I like to run only very fresh fuel so I mix up just a little more than I need for every ride and give him what's left over. Stihl weedwackers apparently run fine on Motorex at 40:1.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Amadeus
....and clog the fuel injectors on my truck? NO WAY! Remember this is 2stroke mix not straight gas. Hell, if it was straight gas I would just light a match;)

My Tin-Yota is fuel infected and I run old premix through there all the time. It never makes a difference one way or another. I do run fuel injector cleaner through on a fairly regular basis so if it does plug anything up, that'll clean it out.

Of course I register my truck out of town to avoid emissions and my catalytic converter is long since gone to hell so that part doesn't affect me. I feel bad for all you Californians with your smog obsession.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Amadeus
Man, some of you guys are wired like clowns sometimes. If one jumps they all jump! I bet you guys are the same people who think you should "ride it like you stole it" when it comes to breakin in an engine huh? YIKES! Remind me not to let you near any of my stuff.

Oh and xterminator, its boneheads like you who California has to set an example for. You would probably eat your young if you thought it might taste good.

Hey now back down! It's simply a matter of knowing at what point something is harmful to a vehicle. I have a 10 year old Toyota with 190,000 miles on it so it really doesn't matter at this point what it does. No need to judge anyone by your standards, we all have our own decision making processes.

I don't think California is setting an example for anyone. I won't even get STARTED on that subject since politics are TABOO (and for good reason) on these boards, but not everyone believes that California is a pedestal of environmental responsibility.

You haven't seen Pred, have you? You might pick your battles a little better if you had.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
All kidding aside, i would run 2 month old gas through my bike, i've even ran 3 month old fuel in it.. Gas is too expensive.. If you don't want too run it in any bike or truck or what not, call your local garbage company, im sure they could give you the info you need..

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I'm a little confused as to why gas would be substandard after 2 months? If the can is sealed, nothing can evaporate from it, correct?

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Now Amadeus, I know these guys are giving you a hard time, but you really shouldn't have disposed of your fuel by dumping it and lighting it in San Diego, San Bernadino, and Simi, that was just uncalled for!

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by linusb
I'm a little confused as to why gas would be substandard after 2 months? If the can is sealed, nothing can evaporate from it, correct?

Yes and no.  If you are using a plastic gas can, then the gas will evaporate through the plastic since it is porous(sp?).  If you are using a metal gas can, then the evaporation will be significantly reduced, if not halted.  Gas will last much longer in metal gas cans. 

sngltrk

Apr 23, 2002
Been dumping old 40:1 mix in my MFI, smog legal , Nissan Pickup for years. 150,000 miles, with orginal O2 sensor and cat. No problems yet.

Top Bottom