Where to dispose of old 2stroke fuel?

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
I have about 3 gallons of two month old fuel that I need to get out of my tank before I ride this weekend but Im not sure of a good place to dispose of it.
I dont mow my lawn that often so the lawn mower isnt practical.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
JC

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Add it to the gas tank of your car or truck just before you have to fill the tank. That's what i do with mine when it gets old.

Steve

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
....and clog the fuel injectors on my truck? NO WAY! Remember this is 2stroke mix not straight gas. Hell, if it was straight gas I would just light a match;)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It wont casue any problems with the injectors in the car. It is very little oil. In fact, 3 gallons mixed at 32:1, added to 15 gallons of straight gas, yeilds a ratio of 192:1.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Run it in your truck and be happy.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Grab the phone book and call the city. They take oil and gas every saturday in my city. Only problem in Fontana is they keep your can.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have been using premix in all of my company trucks for years. All of these were new Ford Vans. No fuel related problems...ever.

Still, I got sick of wasting all the expensive oil. I went to a two tany system. I used a sharpie to mark the one gallon line on a two gallon tank. I fill my 5 gallon can with straight gas, then use it to fill to the one gallon mark and add my oil.

It sounds more cumbersom than it is.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Would this not affect you catalytic converter?

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by splatt
Add it to the gas tank of your car or truck just before you have to fill the tank. That's what i do with mine when it gets old.

Steve

If its premixed it will damage your catalytic converter and possibly clog the fuel injectors.
Give it to neighbours for their lawn mowers or snow blowers. I take mine old gas and oil to work and have maintenance guy dispose of it properly.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Do not put the gas in your vehicle. I repeat do not. CA emissions sensors will fail your vehicle at your next smog check. Sustained practice of dumping old premix fuel in your car or truck will fail your O2 sensors and load up your cat converter. I found out the hard way. $2600 later.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by kelsorat
Do not put the gas in your vehicle. I repeat do not. CA emissions sensors will fail your vehicle at your next smog check. Sustained practice of dumping old premix fuel in your car or truck will fail your O2 sensors and load up your cat converter. I found out the hard way. $2600 later.
Well, up here in the wilds of Idaho we don't have silly things like CA emissions sensors. And if that dang ol' catastrophic converter goes bad, junk it.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Now now pred, we all know you cant just cut of your converter, its an imoportant part of your vehicles emissions equipment that is mandatory to be on your car, never mind that anyting it saves in emissions is more than lost on loss of efficency of the motor, we all know you have to take it off and hollow it out with a big punch and carefully weld it back on.
I have dumped the ocasional 2 smoke fuel in my truck and EFI van and never had an issue, but , to be safe, call some of your local garages, many have waste oil heaters, not that it gets that cold in CA, but they burn waste oil and fluids to heat thier shops in the nippy 65 degree cold winter days :) .

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Man, some of you guys are wired like clowns sometimes. If one jumps they all jump! I bet you guys are the same people who think you should "ride it like you stole it" when it comes to breakin in an engine huh? YIKES! Remind me not to let you near any of my stuff.

Oh and xterminator, its boneheads like you who California has to set an example for. You would probably eat your young if you thought it might taste good.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I have restored cars as a hobby for ~15 years so have several vehicles to worry about the stale gas problem. And yes, they're all old enough that they have vented fuel systems. I've used 2 month old fuel many times in my vehicles and never had a problem. 3 months is the point where you should either have added a fuel stabilizer or think about dumping/using it soon, as the volatile compounds start to evaporate. I guess if I was racing I'd consider a fresh tank but otherwise I'd just ride it, perhaps topping up with some fresh stuff.

I definitely wouldn't put old fuel in a newer, EFI engine. I even hate to put it in my older cars since I don't want people to think my rings are shot or I don't keep my engines running up to snuff! The lawnmower and weedeater are the only engines to get old bike gas, and then only if it's not too old else they run like garbage, too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Amadeus,
You gotta stop thinking that you in CA are setting an example for the rest of us. The examples that CA set show that with just a little bit of trying, liberalism and fuzzy ecological logic can ruin a decent state.
Surely you were just kidding...or have your mind screwed up like many others.

And btw....Pred used to have 12 kids. I think the tally is down a bit now, but Mmmmm boy don't those kids ribs taste gud!

Also, if you promise to stay in CA...I promise to NEVER touch your stuff. :)

(set an example...yeah RIGHT!) LOL.....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Jaybird, it was only 8 kids. I want my baby back baby back baby back . . . ribs . . .

Rock Me Amadeus, I don't need no Californian settin' no example for me. When the ol' Predmobile chokes and sputters and farts and coughs and dies due to me burning too much premix thru it, then I'll worry. Until then, anyone want a whaaaambulance ride?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
How in the world did it cost you 2600$ for a catylitic convertor and an O2 sensor?

I have no problems burning my old fuel thru my car heck even ran 32 to 1 thru it when I was low on funds, straight out of the bike into the tank of the car. I doubt highly that premix is going to cause any severe issues when just getting rid of leftovers and then topping it off with regurlar pump.

Leaded race fuel on the other hand will clog the convertor prematurely. The convertor's job is too burn the leftover hydrocarbons from the engine,its part time job is collect any thing that doesnt burn. If you have a car long enough the convertor will clog eventually, the leaded fuel accelarates it. Haven't had to change mine yet.

safety note a clogged convertor can cause a fire so if you car starts losing power and you are burning left over leaded fuel check to see how hot the convertor is getting before something really bad happens.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
jmics, you're coming to the right conclusion but not technically correct in how you got there. A catalytic converter doesn't burn the leftover hydrocarbons. It actually chemically converts the polluting molecules. To do this requires the material in the cat to be hot enough to do this effectively. Clearly if the precious metals in the cat get coated in some irreversible way in can no longer do its job.

A great bit of info that dispells common myths on this topic can be found at http://www.castensdynojet.com/Random.htm . A great quote from this is: In theory, a catalytic converter should last the life of a vehicle; it has no moving parts, the bricks are not consumed by the catalytic reaction and the cases of all original equipment converters are made of stainless steel, so rust isn’t a problem. In the real world, an excessively rich air/fuel ratio, oil or antifreeze in the exhaust system or physical damage can send a catalytic converter off to the great recycling yard in the sky.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
that was a good read I definately understand more but two things I would like to point out from that article in my defense.

1st it oxidizes hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, it might not be a chemically correct term but wouldn't rapidly oxidizing these things be considered burning them?

2nd is the fact that the can only work when they reach a certain tempature, cold start ups and long idling periods in cold weather they don't function properly and will load up, then when they do get to proper operating temps the stuff that is in there will overheat it causing more problems. Add in the fact that cars do not stay new things start to wear out and you will get internal oil leaks whther from bad valve seals or blowby. I stand by my statement that if you own a car long enough they will clog. Of course it is not the norm for somebody to hold onto something until the bitter end like I do.

If I had a good clean batch of unleaded race fuel and two stroke oil at that 192 to 1 ratio that RV6junkie talked about going down a highway I would put money down on that it would in fact burn cleaner and cause less problems with the vehicle then a high mileage short trip city car in a northern winter burning pump fuel. Yet the 2nd scenerio is so common nobody would think of it.

Top Bottom