Where to get a new air valve for a rim?

Mx523

Mar 3, 2007
Well the nut on the air valve stripped out some how and now it won't hold a seal. Where could I buy a new one? Bike Bandit dose not have one...

Thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Mx523 said:
Well the nut on the air valve stripped out some how and now it won't hold a seal. Where could I buy a new one? Bike Bandit dose not have one...

Thanks.

Errrr.. I believe you are going to need a new inner tube.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Man that's a huge 10$ you'll have to spend!

Mx523

Mar 3, 2007
trial_07 said:
Man that's a huge 10$ you'll have to spend!

****! I guess I'll have to start selling crack to get some money now. :nener:

The nut that goes on the valve is stripped though, if I buy a new inner liner tube it comes with the valve right? Like a bike tube?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Mx523 said:
****! I guess I'll have to start selling crack to get some money now. :nener:

The nut that goes on the valve is stripped though, if I buy a new inner liner tube it comes with the valve right? Like a bike tube?

Uhhh.. yeah.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Let's get some terminology straight here so we all know what you are talking about.

The part of the inner tube that sticks through the rim, through which you pump air to inflate the tire is called the "Valve Stem".

There are several different types of valve stems but the type that is most commonly used on cars and motorcycles is referred to as the Schrader Valve. This has a fairly large inner diameter. The inside is threaded and a "valve core" is threaded in that allows air to be pumped in but blocked from coming back out.

The Schrader valve stem has several different varieties, variations of the outer diameter. A "TR-13" is commonly used on automobiles and bicycles, it is simply a rubber coated stem.

The "TR4" or "TR6" is what is commonly used on dirt bikes, it has an 8mm diameter metal, threaded stem.

The threads on the outside of the valve stem simply hold the stem in place in the rim while the tire is being assembled. Once the tire is inflated it really doesn't do much anymore.

The only threads that would have anything to do with an air seal are the inner threads that hold the valve core in place. The valve cores are standard parts, you can go to just about any auto parts store and buy a package of valve cores to replace a lost or damaged core. If the threads on the inside of the valve stem are stripped, however, you will need a new inner tube.

If you buy a new inner tube, be sure to buy one that is the correct size with a TR4 or TR6 stem.

Rod

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Hey Rod, do you think the he may have spun the tire and ripped the stem loose? Possibly from tightening the nut to the rim enough to strip the threads?

Top Bottom