Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I’ve been thinking about this, since next year I graduate college, and I’m pretty sure that I don’t want to live in southern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><ST1:pIndiana </st1:State>anymore. I know that I wouldn’t totally base my decision on where to live on this question. Where would be the best place to live for motocross?

Everybody knows that the east cost has some of the best dirt of anywhere in the country. You guys know what I’m talking about. That thick, heavy, moist, black dirt that’s almost like potting soil. The stuff that ruts up like no-other and offers more traction than you know what to do with. If dirt was all that matters, the east coast would win hands down. But the weather also has to be taken into consideration. Most areas that have this wonderful dirt also have a cold and harsh winter, much like what I have to deal with here is So-Indiana. From December ‘til late February the ground is mostly frozen, negating the advantage of conditions of the dirt and closing most of the tracks until temps warm back up.

Florida dosen’t have these winter problems, but for the most part, the dirt there is really sandy. And then you have the hurricane season.

SoCal has riding year round, thanks to the warm temperatures there. Unfortunately the lack of precipitation and the always warm temperatures leads to tracks that are mostly hardpack, dry, and burntout.

It would be ideal to live on the east-coast for the summer months, and head west when it gets too cold/starts snowing, but for most of us, this isn’t going to happen unless we hit the lotto.

So, what does everyone else think about where the ultimate place to live for moto would be, assuming that you can only live in one part of the country, where would it be

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Northern Illinois.

I know people are now "gasping" but pound for pound there are more places to race, ride, and play compared to almost anywhere. Also one indoor facility, another one to be built, should have some winter time places to play also. Moto, Hare Scrambles, Dirt Track, etc..... a little bit north of your area but hey, there are over 20 tracks to race no farther then 2 hour drive. 10 places to just "play", and the highest volume of quality racing anywhere.

I live here so i am kinda bias.

:)

wardy

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Phil,
Man you are right in the middle of tons o' ridin!

I'm curious if you are going to USI and live somewhere else, or are you homegrown hoosier?
My youngset brother went to school in Evansville and he hardly had time to venture much past his building and class. So it would have been very hard for him to make a clear assesment of the area he was in, given the limited time he had to actually enjoy what the area had to offer.
Granted, my brother majored in Texas Hold'em and the occasional drunk soroity chick took up lots of his study time, so he didn't have much time to make sound judgement about the classroom either...

But anywho, IMO, you are living in one of the best parts of the country, bar none.

Well within driving distance of any of these following areas.
(ok...some are a bit much)

BACKWOODS MOTORSPORTS TENNYSON, IN
812-567-2453
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BADLANDS OFF ROAD PARK ATTICA, IN
765-762-2981
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CROSSINGS MX VALPARAISO, IN
219-477-6501

D & D MOTORSPORTS ROCHESTER, IN
574-893-1649

DIRT MX RACE PARK KINGSBURY, IN
219-362-2208

HANGTIME MX PARK AKRON, IN
574-893-1649

HOOSIER HILL TOPPERS M/C UNIONTOWN, IN
502-742-0261

LAWERENCE CO. RECREATIONAL PARK SPRINGVILLE, IN
812-275-0186

LEISURE TIME GP MOTOX MEDARYVILLE, IN
317-897-6232

MOTOLAND KINGSBURY, IN
219-988-6686

MOTORHEAD PARK SPEEDWAY EVANSTON, IN
812-499-1246

PODIUM ONE MOTOPLEX CHARLESTOWN, IN
502-515-6549

THE MOTOPLEX LAOTTO, IN
866-MOTOPLX

TROJAN MX NORTH WEBSTER, IN
574-893-1649

WABASH CANNONBALL MOTOCROSS WABASH, IN
765-883-2362

800 MOTOCROSS PARK CROFTON, KY
270-269-8967

BALLANCE MOTO X OAKLAND, KY
270-792-RACE

BLACK ROCK MOTOCROSS PARK LEITHCHFIELD, KY
270-259-5960

BUCKS RUN MOTOCROSS & ATV PARK BEDFORD, KY
502-255-4363

BUZZARDROOST MOTOCROSS BIG SPRING, KY
270-536-3761

CUMBERLAND PARKWAY MOTOCROSS CPMX EDMONTON, KY
270-432-0000

D TRACK MOTOCROSS MILTON, KY
502-268-5748

DANIEL BOONE MOTOCROSS PARK LONDON, KY
606-877-1364

DUNN'S PLAYGROUND MOTOCROSS BROWNSVILLE, KY
270-286-8459

EARLYWINE RACING INDOOR MOTOCROSS DOVER, KY
606-883-3098

ECHO VALLEY MX POOLE, KY
270-639-6500

LITTLE STURGIS MOTOPLEX STURGIS, KY
270-333-7846

LOCO AIR RACING MOTOCROSS TRACK FALMOUTH, KY
859-654-5588

MEADE COUNTY MX BRANDENBURG, KY
270-422-3600

NORTH WASHINGTON MOTOCROSS WILLISBURG, KY
859-284-5062

WESTERN KY SUPERCROSS MADISONVILLE, KY
270-249-3125

BELLEVILLE ENDURO TEAM BELLEVILLE, IL
618-277-3478

BUFFALO RANGE RIDING PARK OTTAWA, IL
815-433-2471

BYRON'S MOTOSPORTS PARK BYRON, IL
815-234-2271

CROSSROADS MX MASON, IL
618-686-CRMX

FOX VALLEY OFF ROAD WEDRON, IL
815-431-9913

HARRIER MOTOCROSS WESTVILLE, IL
217-442-4508

HENSONS MOTOCROSS VIRGINIA, IL
217-452-7365

JOLIET MOTO SPORTS PARK WILMINGTON, IL
815-476-RIDE

LINCOLN TRAIL MOTOSPORTS CASEY, IL
217-932-2041

MC MOTOPARK MT. CARROLL, IL
815-238-1614

MEGACROSS SHOOTOUT SERIES MENDOTA, IL
815-539-9021

MOTOMANIA MX & QUAD PARK BRIGHTON, IL
618-372-7433

MOTORSPORTS PARK BRYON, IL
815-234-2271

PARADISE MOTOPARK DU QUOIN, IL
618-542-6203

PLEASURE RIDERS MOTORCYCLE CLUB DANVILLE, IL
217-247-2923

SOUTH CENTRAL MX SALEM, IL
618-548-5259

SOUTH FORK DIRT RIDERS TAYLORVILLE, IL
217-237-4752

SPLINTER CREEK DIRT RIDERS INC. ALTON, IL
618-372-4355

SUNSET RIDGE MX WALNUT, IL
815-379-9534

TRI CITY MOTORCYCLE CLUB COAL VALLEY, IL
309-799-9449

WATERMAN INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY, LLC WATERMAN, IL
815-264-8834

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
North Texas is pretty good. Ride year round, right now it is sunny and 65. It does get cold, but not too bad. From July to September the heat is brutal but you get used to it and most tracks open at 6am OR have stadium lights and open late so you can get laps in and beat the heat. You have Cooperland a few hours north. Several local tracks (5-6) and many more just outside the local area. Job market is strong while the cost of living is low.

I have lived in SoCal, Florida, New Hampshire, Texas and Illinois. I came back to Texas by choice. Just got on my FRZ600 one day in 1994 and drove from San Diego to Dallas. No regrets.

What kind of work will you be doing? That will play a big factor in your location I would think.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I'm homegrown hoosier. I know that we've got lots of options around here, from national HS races at lynnville to tracks like Casey, that features a 4-stroke national. We've got at least 10 tracks less than 3hrs away. Not to mention the badlands and turkey bay. Where do you ride at, Jaybird?

My major is in Biology, but I have no clue what I am going to do with it.

MotoZen37

Jun 30, 2005
I recommend Oklahoma and Texas area if you're not going to California. Although I did not enjoy Oklahoma for other things (lack of sweet tea), the Tulsa and OKC areas have plenty of venues for parts and bikes, and you're guarunteed within 45 minutes of an open track. Cooperland in Stillwater could rival some national tracks and the climate for riding is getting better...the temps are good too save mid winter. My only asterisk is watch the winds...it gets up there on occasion. Oklahoma enjoys an AX race in Guthrie, the Ponca City qualifier, a great 8 or 9 race state series and it's 3 hours from the Dallas SX. Best of all there are lots of terrain types...clay, sand, silt...I only got to ride a few tracks (Cooperland, MCR, Blanchard, Sooner State, Rush Springs and Anadarko) but there are a ton more without leaving the state. I am in NW FL now and feeling the pain of only having 1 local track, bbut it's close and its a good one.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i'll tell you where NOT to live,, and thats in the midsouth around north mississippi/memphis area...very little riding here. sure, you may find a set or two of woods,maybe one track or two. and those are usually a good drive away.

i'd look anywhere in cali, co, or fla. california sure is a cool place. i'd make sure i lived where there is a major airport and top twenty university. and at least 200k people in your zip code.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Damn Chili, I thought you were further east, I was in Winnapeg all last week! I'll keep that in mind as I'll be going there more.

Sorry no thread jacking intended.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
You should look into Northern California. The riding is also year round just like southern California but they do tend to get much more rain than Southern Cali... by Northern California I mean the Bay area... We just moved from Monterey and loved it there.... now we live in Southern California and love it here too! I've lived all over the East coast but you have to drive long distances in order to ride. Same thing w/ Texas and Florida, we lived there as well. Personally I don't like to drive all day just to go and ride. You could do what my husband did and still is/does for work (his undergrad is history!)....Join the military and you can get stationed just about anywhere and ride for a few years in one area until the next duty station. It's worked for us for the past 15 years and we've decided to settle in Socal .....Hmmmm only 5 more years until retirement, hopefully he won't get us stationed somewhere else!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Define "drive a long distance"... there are no less than 4 places to ride in less than an hour form north Dallas. Muenster and Nocona (DV was there a couple weeks ago) within 1.5.

It's kinda nice that the "average" person can afford a real house here, lol... no $500K crack-house mobile homes :p

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've heard good things about AZ, minus the really freaking hot in the summer. Desert riding is supposed to be amazing. We have great riding in the northwest but you do have to deal with the winter situation.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Phil,
You must come over to Charlestown (where I live) next spring!
I would think Podium1 to be one of the best mx tracks in the state, if not the whole region.

My pop also has 40 acres that I play on, and there is a guy right down the road with a very cool track for practice moto.

Let me know whenever you want to venture over here, there are others in our area that have been wanting to also try out Podium1. (no longer AMA sanctioned)
Maybe we do a Kyana Chapter ride?

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
You got me regarding the housing market...It is definately crazy! Luckily for many, the market has been coming down.

Okiewan said:
Define "drive a long distance"... there are no less than 4 places to ride in less than an hour form north Dallas. Muenster and Nocona (DV was there a couple weeks ago) within 1.5.

It's kinda nice that the "average" person can slo afford a real house here, lol... no $500K crack-house mobile homes :p

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
SpeedyManiac said:
I've heard good things about AZ, minus the really freaking hot in the summer. Desert riding is supposed to be amazing. We have great riding in the northwest but you do have to deal with the winter situation.

That is where I plan on going myself. Most of the tracks are in the Phoenix area. Some of the tracks have practices early in the morning and have stadium lights for night riding.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i agree with oklahoma/north texas. you could probably pick a point with 20 tracks within two-three hours and numerous public riding places. good people, good weather, good riding and relatively low cost of living, what else is there?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
MotoZen37 said:
Although I did not enjoy Oklahoma for other things (lack of sweet tea), the Tulsa and OKC areas have plenty of venues for parts and bikes, and you're guarunteed within 45 minutes of an open track.

if you drink sweet tea, you're not an okie. :debil:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Good Idea, Jay. I've been planning on hitting podium 1 for awhile now. Podium 1, Casey, and the Mammoth East race are 3 places I've gotta go this spring.

MotoZen37

Jun 30, 2005
mx547 said:
if you drink sweet tea, you're not an okie. :debil:

Without a Doubt! Although Okies are good people and have great tracks and hospitality, I claim my southern heritage faster than I can twist the throttle at the gate.:)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Masterphil said:
Good Idea, Jay. I've been planning on hitting podium 1 for awhile now. Podium 1, Casey, and the Mammoth East race are 3 places I've gotta go this spring.
Casey is a bit tamer than Podium1, but still a very nice place to moto.
I have always wanted to do the Mammouth East thing, (motocross races on a ski slope, for those who don't know) but it always seems to conflict with DirtWeek.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
XRpredator said:
Don't live here. We got enough outsiders coming in and screwing things up.

That might have been the problem with your campaign for local office.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Planet Hillbilly Is The Best

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I live in the DFW area and I'm really disappointed in the riding options here...They just closed Mosier Valley which was a popular track down here...Used to be some free park and ride areas in the 80's set aside by the city of Fort Worth but those are now closed.

On the plus side is the weather...Downside is that riding areas are disappearing and long drives to the places that are still around.

For the MXer/offroad enthusiast there are better places.

Top Bottom