DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
I just bought a bike after having sold my last kx250 to start college. Now I am done so I bought a cr250 because I have been getting the itch to ride so bad. I'm from N. California and I live in Salt Lake now. I don't know where to ride and I don't know who to ride with. Where are the good places to ride and is there anyone I can tag along with?

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Whereabouts in Salt Lake do you live?

I'm sure that others here, as well as myself, would be happy to help point you in the right direction. :cool:

Just to name a few places: 5-mile, the knolls, the dunes. What kind of riding are you into? (sand, rocks, dirt)

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
i live in sandy just west of the freeway and so far i have been to corner canyon, 5-mile, and the track in north salt lake. I'm hoping to go to the knolls with my cousin soon and I can't wait to go to the dunes. I like to ride just about anything. Is there anything fun in the American Fork Canyon? Anywhere else? I have been riding by myself or sometimes my wife will tag along and mostly watch. It feels good to be back on a bike again........

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
If you head up American Fork canyon you will end up at a location called 'Tibble Fork'. You can park and unload there. Lots of good trail riding up there. You can head up to Mineral Basin, or get on the Great Western Trail.

You will have to pay a toll to go up the canyon, and make sure you have a spark arrestor. The fish cops check that stuff up there.

Good luck!

-- Rod

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
thanks. what type of trails are there? mostly dirt roads, single track or what? are there areas where bikes aren't allowed or can you explore anywhere you want to?

i went with my cousin and some of his friends to the bountiful B on memorial day. We had a lot of fun on the trails back there even though it was pretty crowded. there is still a lot of snow at the top and on the back side. so much that we got to a point where we couldn't go any more becuase the bikes don't climb snow very well.

also, are some spark arresters better than others or will any after market sparky do? I have a pro circuit pipe and silencer right now.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
DGMCR250 said:
thanks. what type of trails are there? mostly dirt roads, single track or what? are there areas where bikes aren't allowed or can you explore anywhere you want to?

In most cases (90% of the time) you need to stay on the designated trails. There are some places like 5 mile pass that have *some* free roam areas. I can't emphasize enough the importance of staying on the trail if at all possible.

The great thing about Utah is that you can find pretty much any type of riding you want. There are some gnarly Tight Single Track trails around as well as more groomed trails. What it really depends on is your skill level, how far you want to travel and how long you want to ride for. Down here in utah county we have some excellent options in Hobble Creek canyon, Spanish Fork canyon, American Fork canyon.

DGMCR250 said:
i went with my cousin and some of his friends to the bountiful B on memorial day. We had a lot of fun on the trails back there even though it was pretty crowded. there is still a lot of snow at the top and on the back side. so much that we got to a point where we couldn't go any more becuase the bikes don't climb snow very well.

There are places in Utah that only seem to melt for about a month. The Paiute trail has some of these elevations. Isn't it great?

DGMCR250 said:
also, are some spark arresters better than others or will any after market sparky do? I have a pro circuit pipe and silencer right now.

Your main concern is getting a USFS approved S/A. Depending on what bike you have, some affect your power more than others.

GL

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
WOW!! sounds like there are a lot of places to ride here in Utah. For a second I was starting to wonder. should be fun, but it will take some time to get to know the areas to ride.

thanks

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
How bout Southern Utah? What are some of the "must ride" trails near St. George? Thanks.

crf12002

Jun 24, 2004
There are great places to ride all over this state. St George has some really fun trails out in the Fort Pierce wash area, just be ready for miles of nasty whoops. The Rhino Rally is run out in this area, so most of the trails are pretty whooped out, but still alot of fun. If you want some really fun riding down south head for Mesquite. The terrain is alot like St George, but not near as much traffic so most of it is still fairly smooth. There are some really fun high speed washes down in that area. Just be alert, there is a local BLM ranger (D.C. Miller) who does not care for dirtbikers much. We go riding down there during the winter and almost always have a run in with him. Maybe he will be a little nicer after I helped him change a tire on his truck last time we were there. If you are up for a challenge and don't want to go down south, try the Stansbury front trail. The trail can be accessed from several places, but I like to start from Big Hollow and ride the hole thing. Its about 30 miles long and 90% single track. Its alot of fun, but a really slow paced ride. Plan on riding out the way you came, there is no way to make a loop out of it. There are some fun challenging trails up in the Uintas as well. Lily Lake has some fun trails, enough to keep you entertained for a weekend. I go out riding almost every weekend and sometimes in the ride in the morning during the week up at the B. E mail me if you want to hook up and go for a ride.

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Hi all,

I live near Dallas, TX. My wife and I are driving to Utah Wednesday to look at the campuses where 2 of our daughters will be attending college this fall. We're going to be there thru Monday. We'll be staying in a cabin some friends own up near Park City.

I'm toying with the idea of towing my XR650 and doing some riding while we're up there. I've read about a number of places in Utah from the posts above, but I don't know how close they are to where we'll be going. We'll mostly be in the Salt Lake, Provo (BYU) and Ephraim (Snow) areas. Are there any places close by for some good trail riding? Somewhere I could possibly hook up with other riders?

I suppose Saturday morning might be the most likely time when I could get a few hours in. I haven't run this past my wife yet, so I may be kidding myself, but I can always hope!

Thanks,
Seldon

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
there are a lot of fun trails in bountiful (just north of salt lake) by the big "B" on the mountain. you can ride all through the mountains up there. There is also american fork canyon just between salt lake and provo. lots of trails up there too. although i don't know if i should be telling you this knowing you are planning to visit BYU. I graduated from the Univ. of Utah and i bleed red for sure but i will tell you where to ride out of respect for my parents who graduated from the Y and my brother who is still attending. :) let me know what your plans are, my bike is a part right now but i should be able to get it going by saturday. i ride a cr250.

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the response, but I had already left on Wednesday when you posted. The whole idea of taking the bike only occured to me at the last minute. I ended up taking the bike and riding in Wasatch State park, up by Midway.

I had a blast. Fantastic scenery and good trails.

Now I've made a promise to come back with my sons for a week of riding.

Seldon

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
DGMCR or anybody else out there.
If you will give me your phone #'s maybe we can arrange a dunes trip sometime. We usually take the FMX ramp too.

My phone # is 801-652-5943

-Richard

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
a dune trip sounds good. I have been itching to go. i'm just waiting for the heat to drop a bit. let me know what you've got in mind. i've never been off a FMX jump before :yikes:

my #: 801/352-0647
email: dgm97snow@aol.com

my name is Dave

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hey,

I'm in Sandy as well and do a ton of riding (approx 20 hrs week). I usually go to Five Mile as I believe it's the best, least crowded, and offers the most variety. It is fairly extensive so keep your bearings or you could get lost easily. Especially Sunshine Canyon and up to the top. Deele is very similar but tends to be wall to wall weekend wallies Friday thru Sunday. The knolls rocks. Far better than Sahara and firm enough sand that you don't need a paddle.
As one of the other posts indicated A.F. canyon can be nice, but unless you're on a thumper you will need to re-jett, sometimes on the side of a trail at upper elevations. Also make sure you have an approved spark arrestor or you will be fined.
One other thought: The flats east of Saltair can be good if your looking for a quickie after work. Not much terrrain features though and only 2 little kickers. It's good for wide open running or checking repais for sure and only about 20 minutes from us(light traffic, if that ever happens anymore)
If you have any other ?'s hit me back. By the way, where in N. Cal were you. I lived in Santa Rosa for a while myself. Nice area. I am bringing my bike back there over Christmas and was wondering if you could suggest some good areas that are still open. KEEP ON ROOSTIN!!!

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
i'm from Redding. Way up north. there are tons of fun riding areas up in the mountains. the smaller areas are getting eat'n up by developers so they are dissappearing fast but the mountains are still a great place to go.

we should meet up and ride sometime, i don't know enough people who ride so i don't go as often as i would like.

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been out of town on business. As far as riding goes, let's do it. I currently have my bike broken down, but am hoping to have parts and to be back up an running within the next week. I'll hit you next time I go. If you have any ?'s, hit me back. Keep on roostin'.

Dave

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Cool. I'll give you guys a call when we are going somewhere.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
BTW My phone # is 8 0 1 6 5 2 5 9 4 3

Jun 20, 2006
i just moved to utah a few days ago and i just bought a 04' yz450F. i used to race motox back in ohio and i was wondering where there was to ride around here i am living in roy utah. you guys talk about 5-mile and other places to ride but i still don't know how to get there. does anyone have an address for any of these places so that i can look them up on mapquest. also i want to go to the dunes soon. where are the closest dunes? thanks my phone # is 801-499-9998

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Welcome to Utah!

There are a lot of options in all categories. There are 3 or 4 places for dune riding. About 20 tracks. And more trails than you could ride in twenty years if you went every weekend. In the northern area, There is a track in Ogden, one in North Salt Lake valley (jordan River Raceway State Park). Little Sahara Dunes are they largest in the state and they are west of Nephi and about 2.5 hours from you.

If you go to motoutah.com you cna get a little bit more info. We really need a good "one stop" resource for this but I havn't finished it yet ;)

-mx

Top Bottom