Where to start with jetting?

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
OK, I'm finally going to jet my bike right.... I read the tips on JuskKDX and printed the instructions on the thread (JETTING FOR DUMMIES) so I have a hard copy with me...

Anyone know where to start with the jetting?.. I assume it's factory jets (everything else was stock when I bought it)... it runs rich right now (spooge, but not tons).. I don't want to buy a bunch of useless jets.... so which should I get to keep from running back and forth for jets (are they returnable?).... I am at about 500' in elevation, and ride mostly inside the 500-1000' range...

also, whats the best way to get the jets in and out quickly?... Im thinking just turn the carb and take off the bowl without removing it?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
At your elevation you should be fine with the setup on Cdave's site. I ended up 1 more smaller on the pilot to reduce any loadup after long stretches at low rpm.

His recs are VERY close. Here are his Recs:

With a performance pipe/expansion chamber, the air box lid removed and the stock or a performance silencer run a 42/45 pilot, R1174K jet needle in the mid clip position, a 152/155 main jet fine tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

Personally with all above mods but no engine work - I run a 42/152. My box is cut, and I have an aftermarket pipe with stock silencer. Clip is in he middle. We are at the same elevation.

You can try this and see how it works for you - will be very close to dead on.

sn

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
thanks.... and should I start somewhere different because I have a stock pipe? (I did an airbox mod already)

oh, and do you happen to know the stock jet numbers for an '01?.... I don't have mine out yet and want to run and get some jets quick :)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Get yourself a 42 and 45 pilot and a 152 and 155 main. I am not 100% - but I think your stock is 48/158.

sn

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Never assume, grasshopper....(regarding the jets in your bike)

And one minus to rotating the carb and removing the bowl is the float's pivot dowel can fall right out never to be seen again, so beware.

Last edited:

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Right on,, thanks for all the input.... I ran down to Bob's Cycle Supply (just a few blocks away), but they were already closed (I was literally 1 minute late... *sigh*),,, I'll get them tommorow though, and let you know when I get it all done how it worked out.... is the stock needle the one I want?

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
where do you live? Im in elk river :cool:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Some helpful tips---I think you could safely drop the pilot and main one size, BUT then---make only one change at a time. Be sure the bike is thoroughly warmed up for testing and pay particular attention to what throttle settings are performing well and which aren't---ie off idle response, midrange and wot. This will help narrow down which jet to adjust, though there is some overlap. Expect to remove the carb and change things around at least 5 times---maybe 10!!! Also, test the pilot via the A/S method and clean out you silencer. Might also want to check the reeds and/or replace with some Boyesen's before doing anything. Need fresh plug and gas also. Make sure everything is in order before jetting or you will just be making the best off a poor situation instead of getting the most out of the bike. Have fun at it---took me two weekends and many tries to get right---don't make it work! Good luck and please report back the results!! :cool:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
G. Gearloose said:
And one minus to rotating the carb and removing the bowl is the float's pivot dowel can fall right out never to be seen again, so beware.

Just had this happen to me, float dowel flew off into the great unknown along with the float needle...took some time to find. Place a nice white towel on the ground around your bike, helps find those things that go boing and vanish.

-Maurice

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…