MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My brother is set on taking a street bike frame and putting a 2-stroke MX engine in it. He would like to know which 250cc 2-stroke engines came stock with lighting kits. I guess that would be enduro type bikes. Liquid cooled preferably. He is aware of all the exhaust fabrication and frame mods that may be necessary.

Anyone like to take a shot at it?

Thanks!

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I was thinking yamaha had a two stroke wr250 that would have lights or the kawasaki KDX 200s. I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket kits you can get to put lights on just about anything as well.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the WR didn't have lights, but it had a lighting coil. KTM has several 2-strokes with lights. The Suzuki RMX had lights. KDX comes with lights.

Honestly, none of that matters. You can run any engine you want with something such as a Baja Designs lighting kit. Plus, many people will rewind your ignition coil to make it work some lights.

tepco

Mar 29, 2001
Hey guys i'm the brother looking for the 2t with a lighting coil,

To make sense of what/why i'm looking for it, ive been riding street bikes for 21 years and also raced dirt bikes in the past. I have always had a passion for two strokes and those of you that share the passion understand.

So with the great emission laws in the US it has forced me to either spend mega $$$ on a gray import and battle the title process or build my own.

Im board with 4strokes (my last bike was a '04 CBR600RR).

So im looking for a up to date chassis with a good 2 stroke engine that i can modify get parts for etc.

So what i have come up with is a Derbi GPR50 or Aprilia RS50 chassis and a 250 2stroke (i think a 500 would be too much for the chassis) for the power plant.

I have thought of the RZ and have rode one in the past, they are just......um....old.

I think this combo would be easy to title, easy to find parts, not hard to keep maintained and a blast to ride.

Hope that explains it and i would welcome any input. :cool:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
02 WR 360 Husky has. Lights, plenty of power, wide ratio 6 speed. The 250 Wr's have lights too but newer ones have 5 speed close ratio tranny if that matters.
12-22039.jpg

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some KTM 200's, 250's and 300's have lighting coils, like my '02 250 exc (which is a strong running motor too, btw). But they may not have enough watts to power a DOT legal headlight and taillight.

FWIW, I had an e-line lighting coil on my '99 Honda CR250. It worked great, and had 2 x 100 watts, which was enough to run a bright headlight and grip warmers. Check www.elineaccessories.com

Also, I've learned from past experience not to engine brake a hot two stroke on the road after an extended high speed run. Hot engine + high rpm without cooling fuel and lubricating oil = crank bearing failure on my '99 CR. Oil injection like on most road legal two strokes would have helped. Without oil injection, pull in the clutch!

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
sr5bidder said:
Get a tripple 2t from the 70's

i had a waterbuffalo, what a fat bloated pig that was. just get an RZ, RS250 an RG or a NSR/NS. theyre getting stupid expensive but the fun factor cant be beat and unless you wreck it, it will only gain value. what do you mean old? a well tuned rz is a blast to ride.(unless youre a fat ass, then is can be a bit slow)
never mind i see youre in NC, too close to me, i dont need more competition, better forget the old 2 strokes, build ur own :p

tepco

Mar 29, 2001
Well dont get me wrong i love the RZ's it would just take some building to get the chassis up to spec and run in the mountains. I just think i would like to build a one off, i just like working on bikes and am an avid Moto GP fan and the RS, Derbi TZR, NSR, all are just so GP like and i think would handle better then a RZ after all the chassis work due to weight.

Check out this link this is a Aprilia RS50 with a WR450 in it.
Price is a little off the wall but it gives you an idea of what im looking to build, but it must be a 2-Stroke!!

Thanks for the info so far, great stuff. :cool:

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
I hear ya, im putting a rz500 lump in an FZR400 chassis right now myself and would kill for a YZR500.
there is also a company out of Australia (i think) thats putting RZ500 lumps in RS250s
check out usa2strokers.com. a lot of guys over there do exactly the things youre trying to do. (including putting CR500 motors in all kinds of small aluminum sport bike frames :worship: )

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm just jealous.....

At least I will be able to ride it when he's done. This is a project that I really hope works out well. A 2-stroke on the street will be great! Didn't even think about that potential engine braking issue..... Good point.

Top Bottom