GSXR_Drew

Nov 2, 2003
Hello all, new to the MX sport, but been street riding for about 16 years. Mostly Suzuki GSXR's is what I use for the road. Lately I have decided I want to try MX. I have never ridden a dirt bike, let alone ever shopped for one. I am 31 years old, 6'1" tall, and weigh 220lbs. I figured I would stick with a 2 stroke 250. Now here is the question...

Which one should I buy? Options are...
2003 RM250
2003 KX250
2004 YZ250
2003 CR250

If these were street bikes, I would know which one I would want. Since these are dirt, I have no idea on how to compare these bikes with each other. Your opinions and input would be really appreciated.

GSXR_Drew

Nov 2, 2003
Mostly track riding. Don't plan on doing to much trail stuff. As far as sitting on them, they all pretty much felt the same to me. For some reason, the Honda felt better to me, but a lot of people tell me to stay away from the CR as the other manufacturer's offer more bang for the buck.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
AT 6'1" you'll probably wanna stay away from Honda or Kawaski. Both bikes are rather compact. Ergos would be better on Yamaha or Suzuki. I think the RM is the tallest. YZ probably has the best power by far over the KX and CR while just abit more than the RM...more top end. The YZ is not as fussy as the RM is with jetting. Rm would probably be a little plusher than the YZ's suspension as it can get harsh even with new forks but supposed to be better than 03. The YZ is more stable at high speeds. The RM might have better initial turn-in but they both handle nicely. I own a 03 YZ and my buddy has an 03 RM. We are both extremly happy with them. My buddy with an 03 CR has changed the jetting in his stock bike 10-12 times and purchased VForce reeds and the bike still lacks power and snap. I don't know much about the KX though. Just that its really small.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The KX is the most powerful one of them all(besides the SX). I was looking at some old Dirt Bike mag's and found a test(can't remember if it was 01 or 02). The KX was the heaviest but didn't feel like it. It dives into corners w/ easy. Some claimed the ergo's were to big and the peg-to-bars distance was tight. Sit on them find the cost and test ride them if possible. Then get back to us.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
2stroker I think your info. is dated according to dyno's the 03 KX has the least horse power.

I would get the 04YZ, and I am a suzuki guy. A year newer, a great motor and at 6'1" would probly fit you best. Personally I wouldn't run out and buy a new bike, I would by a used one 2-3 years old to learn on and see if you like it.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I said the magazine was 01 or 02. I didn't know you were looking at a brand new bike. That's spending a lot of money for a bike. You could just as easily get a used one.

I don't think power on a 250 will be a problem. You don't have to get the most powerful bike anyways. The KX has the most bore potential(up to 305cc).
RM's and CR's are 285cc and YZ 290cc I think.

At 6'1" your open to the motorcross world. If you want more power and speed check out the KX500.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm a 125 rider on a KTMsx. I've been considering a 250 and here's what I've found. Though I haven't ridden much other than KTM I have thrown a leg over the KX 125 & 250, Yamaha's 426 and an 03 RM250. Riding on the KX's makes me feel like the big dude on a tricycle from the old show "Laugh In". They are extremely cramped feeling, to say the least. So was the 426 but I can say the 03 RM250 was the best so far. I do want to try a YZ250 and the SX200 (from KTM).

I think most all the Jap bikes feel about the same but the KTM 125 is as different as night & day.

Top Bottom