150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Okay, I want to get a 250 and race C and keep my 150. But I don't know which one I should get.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'3 115 ibs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 8/10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? MX racing
4) Do you have any riding experience? a few years. 1 year on my 150R
5) Do you think you will race ? Yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? my dad is
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 250 4t
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? everything
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? i want to by a used one an 05 or 06, but there's not much limit.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 12
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- I'll probably have a suspension company lower it a couple inches, and I'll shave seat foam. Like I said, I want to get a 250 to race 125 begginer and keep my 150 for supermini. Or would it be better to just keep my 150 and use it to race 125 begginer?

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I'd recommend getting a 125 two-stroke. A 250 is a lot of power for a 12 year old, and it's a better progress. Remember you have to be able to lift your bike if you dump it. Also, 5'3" is way to small for a 250. Even with seat shaving. I'm 5'11" and can barely touch on my 125.

It's personal choice really.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Buying a used 4 stroke is a crap shoot at best, I'd only consider one that I was very familiar with the owner and their maintenance habits. Yamaha has the best track record with the engine in this class but I think it was also the tallest of the 250F's which may be difficult even with lowering mods at your height. Personally I'd just line up on your 150 to get the experience and save my dough to get a new 250F next season.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Chili said:
Buying a used 4 stroke is a crap shoot at best
I really hate to get off topic, but is this a pretty "all encompassing" statement? Or only for certain sizes? I've pretty much decided that I want a 250F over a 125...the idea of having to have the bike at 9K+ constantly doesn't sit well with me...mabey I've been driving a diesel too long).

I can afford a new 250F but really don't want to, especially as a first bike.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The new breed of high performance 4 strokes are prone to very expensive failures if poorly maintained. Some like the YZF start life with a headstart as far as reliability but if they are poorly maintained they lose any edge they started with very quickly. I've seen racers buy used 4 strokes only to see their season end with a 2k+ repair bill a few races later.

Another case in point is our Suzuki dealer will not even consider a 250F in trade while they take pretty much any 125 they can get.

The absolute only way I'd buy a used 250F is if I knew the previous owner very well and was very confident in their maintenance practices.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
just go down to Mac's and plunk down the coin for a new Honda. Since you and your ol' man are familiar with the Honda technology, that would be the best step forward for you guys so you can keep up on the maintenance.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
MeanorMX said:
I'd recommend getting a 125 two-stroke. A 250 is a lot of power for a 12 year old, and it's a better progress. Remember you have to be able to lift your bike if you dump it. Also, 5'3" is way to small for a 250. Even with seat shaving. I'm 5'11" and can barely touch on my 125.

It's personal choice really.
I can handle the power. And I've ridden a 250 beore and it doesn't seem to have to much power for me. And I dumped it and I picked it back up, it was hard but I got it up. I'm 5'3 but Im growing like mad. Devol racing can lower your forks and your shock 1-4 inched. A CRF250R has a seat heighth of 38 inches, If I had that lowered 3 inches , that would be a good height for me.

GEORGIA_boy

May 8, 2007
check this out: my neighbor just got a crf450r and he's only 12 and about 5' 4''. he can barely touch the ground standing over the bike. ( he's on his tiptoes). so if you say its not too much power and you have some experience then i think you will definantly be good. go for it! id get the crf250r.

Last edited:
Top Bottom