Which 300 - KTM, Gas Gas, or TM Racing?

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hi there, well my previous thread pretty much crossed out the 450 and the more and more I researched it I just dont think that it is the bike for me. Anyways, after a suggestions I started researching the KTM 300exc, and then that lead to the Gas Gas EC300, and from what I read they are both amazing bikes, with the Gas Gas being a bit cheaper, then at my local dealer I seen they have a TM Racing 300 for sale for not that much, its dirty, but it looks like it could be a good bike. Anyways I will go through what the sticky suggested....

1) I am 6'2" 220lbs, big build, lots of muscle hehe with a belly

2) When I ride through tight trails I am very aggressive when riding with others, by myself I am still aggressive but not so much, out of the trails I usually ride easy on the long straightaways(fireroads, fields, etc.)

3) I will be riding woods and fireroads exclusively, the trails can fit quads through, and there is alot of ruts, washouts, hills, and mud as alot of 4x4s go through there, but there isnt much for straightaways through them, constantly twisting.

4) I have been riding since I was 6 years old, I am no expert, I rode dirtbikes up until I was about 14, then I bought a quad, and have been riding it for a couple years, but I find myself more and more asking my friends if they want to ride it and I can ride their bikes for a few stretches of trails.

5) I wont be racing this bike at all, the only racing I will be doing will be through trails, on roads etc. with my buddies.

6) I will be the only person that will be working on my bike with the exception of suspension tuning and wheel lacing etc. I am in the process of restoring my CR500, I love to tinker on bikes, and I am a freak about keeping my bike clean, greased, oiled and working properly.

7) I dont really have a preference of motor, I like 2 strokes on bikes and I like the hit they have but I really like the tractor effect of a 4 strokes when climbing hills, going through mud etc.

8) The dealer that is closest to me carries alot of KTM, he was a Honda, Suzuki, Bombardier, and KTM dealer but as far as dirt bikes he is going just about solo on the KTMs and not so much Honda and Suzuki. As far as Gas Gas and TM Racing I dont know of any dealers around here at all, but I dont have a problem with mail ordering.

9) I plan on spending probably $6000-$6500 CAD on a bike, as I will probably get that for my quad.

10) I will be riding with a KTM 200exc, WR250 2stroke, CR250, CRF450, CR450F(or whatever the quad), RM250F, and whatever anybody wants to go riding is riding, I usually will go with anybody. I want something that will keep up to all of these bikes and hold its own if they start to show off doing catwalks past me and such, it definately doesnt have to be the fastest though. Anyways I think that is all. Thanks for any of your opinions.

-Jared

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Try to get a test ride on them. The GasGas is smoother than the KTM, it is more four-strokish, but it will still have the top end two-stroke power. Get a test ride and see which one you like best.

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
I am going to go Tomorrow and get a test ride on that TM 300, I dont know of any Gas Gas bikes around here at all, but a new 300exc is 8200 I think, from the same dealership the TM that is there is going for 3900 I think. I forget what year it is, 2002 mabye, not sure, does anybody have experience with these bikes? A buddy of mine use to have a 100 and loved it.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
2 stroke diehard, have you ridden anything other than a ktm? Sure doesn't sound like it... If 4 stroke type power delivery and decent handling is important to you, the GG is what you're looking for. If you're looking for a more aggressive bike with awesome handling and suspension and reliability in stock condition, the TM is what you are looking for, despite poor resale value. If you want somthing orange, then it's ktm all the way. If you go orange, budget for a suspension revalve and steering damper. I base this on having ridden these bikes new or near new. Any 4 year old bike is an iffy proposition. A test ride would give some indication...

Top Bottom