Which 65 for off road and track

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Hey guys

I know nothing about the small 2 strokes of today. I ride a KTM 450 MXC and my son rides a TTR 90. I'm thinking he may need to change to a bigger bike soon and thinking the 65 is the next step up.? He doesn't get to ride that much but loves it and picks it up fast.

What 65 (lets say from 2000 on) would make a great off road (trails) and sometime track bike. I race enduros and would like him to be able to have controllabe power for off road. The smoother the power the better I would think.

Is there a bike to stay away from - too much of a screemer or unreliable?

Are these bikes usually 5 speeds?

Thanks Dan

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
all of the 65's from 2000 on are 5 speeds. They are all pretty much topend bikes but you can port them, add flywheel weights. Or just let him get used to spinning the motor.
The older KTM's had their share of problems...don't think about a 99 but an 02 or 03 is pretty good.
The KX's have been known to have crank problems but you can drop in a wiseco hot rod crank fairly inexpensivley.
The RM is just a KX with yellow plastic.
The Cobra DC65 has the most bottom end by far but is designed for the mx track. The seat might be a little uncomfy for a rider that uses the seat for resting like alot of kids do on the trails.

How much does your kid weigh? One thing will all the bikes mentioned above is their suspension is targeted at a heavier kid like 90lbs or so. If you can find a used model with suspension work done then you can save a bundle. We sold our KX for what the market was getting for stock ones and we had over $500 in suspension work done.

tmbo

Dec 16, 2002
ktm 65 of course,a far better ride than the other two and both the o3 and 04 have good bottom and pull pretty steady on through. the kx has junk suspension and sketchy motor and the cobra is track only and a constant breakdown waiting to happen and has no bottom if its setup right to race,sorry Jason but thats horse poop and a bunch of it. Add a set of boyeson pro series reeds and a doma pipe and bud silencer and you got about a good a package as any pound for pound.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
We picked up a Polini X-5. 65cc automatic. We race a lot harescrambles and didn't want to deal with shifting the first year on the longer course. In our area the 50cc bikes run a really short course, but the 65's step up to what is generally a three to four mile loop. So far, we've got a few practices on it and it seems to be a good one. Some peculiar features include cable actuated disc breaks and a KTM 50 style air filter, but so far my son likes his. They're worth looking at.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
My advice would be to look in the local classified section for a good used one. Kids out grow things fast. If you come up with nothing or want to buy new, then go to all of the dealers in your area, have your son sit on each bike, see what he like, and compare prices. I would stay away from the off-brand bikes, stay far, far away.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
By the way, i have heard opposite of what tmbo had to say. Many people praise the KX and its source of low end end grunt. It is used for both woods and track. The RM is extremely similar to the KX. And the KTM has the most HP of them all. Not sure about the Cobras, Polinis, or LEMs, but the most common site in the woods are the KX and RM. Remember it is 5% bike and 95% rider. It doesnt matter what hes riding, but wether or not hes having fun and doing his best.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Just bought my 6 and a half year old an 02 KTM 65. The light clutch pull is great for him. He had no chance with clutch pull and reach on KX.

With a slightly larger rear sprocket the bike pulls off the bottom just fine. Bike came with the DEP pipe and silencer mounted, put stock pieces back on for more grunt.

The rear shock is tricky to rebuild, ours was butchered by the guy that "rebuilt" it for the prior owner. Use someone GOOD to do the shock of a KTM 65.

Matt came off a very modified PW80, seems to be transitioning well.

Top Bottom