sdg5656

Jan 2, 2003
My local dealer has three used 85's. They have a 99' kx 85 for 1000, a 01' kx 85 for 1400 and a 02' yz 85 for 1800. Some people say pick a color and go with it, but besides that which make has less matinence or more reliability??

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
The biggest difference between the KX and the YZ is the handle bar to foot peg relationship. The KX felt small to my son so we bought the YZ. He is now 5'5", 4 inches taller than when we bought it but is still not too cramped, He would probably hit his knees on the handle bars on the KX now.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The 99 would be a KX80 not 85. The bikes would all be relatively similar for maintenance and reliability. The factor I would look at is the riding style of the rider, the KX's are a slightly easier to ride bike with a little more down low power while the YZ has a narrower powerband and harder hit. The YZ really screams if the rider is adept at keeping the bike on the pipe. As a side note my son has a 99 KX80 that he raced last season and we were very pleased with the bike.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The KX and RM's have powervalves for more low to mid power, the YZ and CR's do not, so they are more pipey.

sdg5656

Jan 2, 2003
my mx trainer said that some of his students new rm 85's clutches went out? is this common? is a bike that i should stay away from?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I know an MX family that races here and recently switched from Kawasaki to Suzuki.
They claim that the Suzuki clutches last much longer than the KX's, mostly due to increased low-end horsepower.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Clutch life depends on several factors: how much you ride, how hard you are on the clutch, how often you change your oil, etc...

I have owned both KX 80's and YZ 80's and think you will get longer clutch life out of the KX. And, as stated above, the KX has a smoother power delivery (because of the power valve engine) compared to the YZ. But the YZ does fly when you ride on the pipe. So if you're a beginner, I'd go for a KX. If you're more experienced, maybe the YZ. I also had a '99 KX 80 and thought it was a great bike. Never had a mechanical failure or anything break. I didn't have as good of luck with my YZ.

A new 80cc clutch (for just plates and springs) should run ya somewhere around $70-$100. If you need new baskets/pressure plate... then it can get expensive.

Check out the Mini Forum for lots of good info to help you out. If Ivan wants, he can move your post to the Mini Forum also, as you might get more responses.

Top Bottom