Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
1) your physical size: 5' 11", 185lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?7/10, I like to push it, but know where to draw the line
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Yes. I live close to the MX track, so plan to spend time there, but lots of time in the woods and mud
4) Do you have any riding experience? Just the experiance I gained test riding 125's
5) Do you think you will race ? Nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes...I think that's part of why I'm getting a bike, something new to work on
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I'd like a 2-stroke for the ease of maintenance, but the 4-stroke power band looks so much better
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, and all of them
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $4K max (Cdn)
10) Do you live in California? Not if you paid me
11) Your age?21
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I've been looking around everywhere I can doing as much reading as I can. Originally I was leaning towards a 125, but talking with a bunch of locals and seems 125's don't do so well on local trails, and reccomended big bore 4-strokes.

I know that I would kill myself on a 450 MX bike, but what about the big bore trail bikes? I found an 01 KTM 400 EXC, and an 05 300 EXC that really caught my eye. Would either of these be a first bike that I wouldn't die on?

And yes, I understand that there is a direct relationship between how fast you go and how far I twist the throttle.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sapper33 said:
. . . I found an 01 KTM 400 EXC, and an 05 300 EXC that really caught my eye. Would either of these be a first bike that I wouldn't die on?
either one would be a fine ride. I know a guy with an 01 400 EXC that the prior owner ran all the oil out of, and all he did was change the oil and it's been running since. KTM 300's have been known for their broad powerbands as well.

Jan 3, 2007
I would say the KTM400EXC amd KTM300EXC because they are great in trails (especialy Calgary trails). The 300 might be better for the fact you guys have some big stretches of open space. Anyone of them are good.

Top Bottom