Which bike for a returning novice rider

G

GlowMe

:think
All right, I have had a few duel purpose bikes before I turned to road bikes (sport bikes, very fast and very fun, but dangerous). I am interested in starting to ride in dirt again and to get my sons involved. I am not sure what bike I should get. I would be doing just about all types of dirt riding, i.e. back yard, trails, big jumps (hopefully) and any others that come to mind. I am looking for something light and fast. I am about 195 lbs and I am 6'2". Can I have your recommendations please? I am thinking about a 125 or 250 two stroke. What do you think?

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Glowme,

I just got back into riding MX after 13 years away from it this past January. I prefer MX but at the same time plan on getting some trail use out of my new ride. I also do not want to rebuild a top-end or replace clutch plates to frequently. Because of this, I went with a 250 as opposed to a 125. Not to mention, I don't (can't is maybe a better word) ride as hyper as I used to. The bottom end allows me to use less clutch and throttle to get around a track or woods and therefore less momentum is required at all times. A 250 is easier to ride in most situations than a 125. I went out and bought a 2001 KX250 this year. It is setup mainly for MX but there are plenty of add-on's for woods use available. I am only 5'6" (little fella), but the bike fits me for the most part. I probably run a little more sag than I should but it would probably be perfect for you out of the crate. But then again any of the mfr's 250's or bigger would be. You'll get numerous opinions on this, but I feel as though 125's at this point require a bit to much effort to ride in the woods and require a lot of energy to keep momentum on a MX track. Hope this helps.

Andy

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
At 6'2", 195, you'll appreciate the low end grunt the bigger bikes will give. I say go with at least a 250, and you might even consider the KTM 300s'.

daman

Aug 8, 2001
My buddy just got a kdx and it is great on trails. It plenty of low end for big hills and requires less momentum to keep moving at a fast pace. The low end is good enough so you only have to use the clutch changing gears. You also have enough speed and plenty of top end for straight aways. The kdx is an awesome bike and I really suggest it for you. (ride hard):cool:

G

GlowMe

Thanks guys, this information helps. I am leaning toward a MX 250. I might add on lights and hand guards later. I am probilby going to buy a used bike at first. I am thinking about Yamaha, but I also like Honda and Kawasaki. What year, bike do you think I should go with?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
glowme,
I was in a similar situation myself. I decided to go with a 125 untill I learned to ride again. I do think you are a bit large for a 125 though.

Considered a 4-stroke?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
If you think you might want lights later you may want to make sure you get a bike that already has a lighting coil, as these are very expensive.:D

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I am just back on dirt bikes after a ten years since I rode a dirt bike and 14 since I last raced one. I'm 5'10" and weigh 195 without gear. I picked up a used 99 Husky 125 motocrosser. Last bike I had before was an 89 KTM 250 EXC. I would have perfered an enduro bike for the lights, softer suspension, and wider power band/trans but the bike was a deal I couldn't pass on. I find the newer 125s have plenty of power to get around on for someone my weight and are plenty big enough for someone even taller than me, but I wouldn't want to race it. A 125 crosser is also hard to keep on the power and is actually more work in the woods and trails than a bigger bike even though it is lighter. I will probably add a flywheel weight to help that out. If I was about to by a new bike I think I would go with either a 400 4-stroke or 250 2-stroke enduro, KTM EXC or Husky WR (or maybe even a VOR or GAS GAS if I had lots of money) To start with a 200 EXC might be the ticket, weight of a 125 with a little extra ooomph.

G

GlowMe

Thanks for the replys guys. But what bike would you buy if you were buying a used bike? KTM, Husky, Kawasaki, Yamaha? Lights are not really important but enough power and ease of operation is. What year and make would you buy?

daman

Aug 8, 2001
i would really consider the KDX. It has speed and low end for trails. It is the best aal around bike. Year and size are up to you. (Ride Hard)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I think the KDX is an excellent choice if you want to do mostly trails. There is no better woods bike out there that will give you more fun for the dollar, and it is extremely reliable and long-lived. If you are looking for something a little more competition oriented, a KTM 200 or 250 MXC or EXC would work nicely for me. I currently ride a 250, but my next bike will most likely be a KTM 200.

G

GlowMe

I think that I will mostly be riding MX style of areas and tracks with ocational foreys into the woods. I am interested in getting my boys into dirt bikes also. They are 7 and 4. Would you recommend a 50cc bike for them?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you are going to do mostly moto-style riding, but want to do occasional off-roading, I would consider the KTM 200/250 MXC first, because they have the lighting coil you are looking for. For the kids, if they have never ridden, an XR 50/70 would be an excellent choice.

There are a lot of bikes that will work for what you want, both for you and the kids. Your first consideration should be getting a good deal on a bike that is a brand you can get good local support from a dealer or shop from, don't just decide on a particular brand to the exclusion of all others. Any good condition125/ 250 two-stroke MX bike can make a good offroad mount with minimal work, and people even moto KDXs and XRs.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Glowme,
For the kids, be sure and use your very best judgement and size them up both physically and emotionally. Like spanky said, the little Hondas are great bikes for kids, those little ones don't have clutches.
Most importantly, you need to access the kids maturity. They need to show a bit of maturity to be able to handle a machine, so just be careful and don't place too much responsibility on a kid who isn't ready. They also need to have at least average motor skills.
These types of things one should only decide as a parent, and use dealer recommendations as a guide only. You are responsible for your kids and making the best decision for them is your most important task.
I do know that Honda puts out an excellant little brochure with the little bikes owners manual. It has some great info on preparing for the first ride.

Be safe and Have FUN! :)

G

GlowMe

Thanks guys, the feedback is much apreciated. I am definatly not one of thoes parents that thinks that my kid is the next MX superstar. If they want to persue dirtbike riding, then they can, but if they are not interested in it, then I will not push them. Motor skills are good. They both learned to ballence on a peddle bike early.
:eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom