Which bike for me? KDX220 or KX250?!? Buying this weekend!

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Okay, I have the money to buy my first dirtbike now! First, a little info about me. I am 26 years old, about 6'1" and 195 pounds. I have never been on a dirtbike before other than sitting on some at the dealerships! I used to ride cruiser style street bikes. I also ride and race mountain bikes. I don't think I'll be doing any motorcross stuff. I don't have time for a compressed spine or something like that. I want to do woods/trail riding here in central Oklahoma. Maybe try an enduro race sometime! Now, I've done a lot of research on here on bikes. I have my choices narrowed down to the KDX220 and the KX250. I know the KDX is an enduro style bike, and the KX is more of a MX bike. But how hard is it to set up a KX for woods riding? Would I get bored with the power on a KDX? Which bike has more mods available to it? Can I fix up a KDX to have power comporable to a KX250?
Okay, I've been looking around the area on cycle trader. I'm not wanting to spend more than $2500 on a bike since I will have to buy gear as well. There is a shop here in town that is selling a 2001 KDX220 for $2,400. He said the price is negotiable if I pay cash which I plan on doing. The bike is bone stock. Really good shape, but no mods of any kind. Then there is a guy in Tulsa who is selling a 2000 KDX220 which has renthal bars, FMF pipe and a couple other mods. I talked him down to $1,900 over the phone. I doubt I could talk the local shop down $500. Is there any reason an 01 would be better than a 2000 model?
Another bike for sale around here is a 99 KX250. It has a lot of mods and all new black plastics, LCS suspension, shorty pipe, gripper seat and he is also throwing in a HJC helmet, Thor pants and jersey that are all my size. He was asking $1,900 for it and I talked him down to $1,700 gear included. The bike has a huge picture on the internet and it looks super clean. The last bike I was looking at is a 2001 KX250. It has team Kawasaki graphics, renthal bars and a skid plate. The ad says it has only been ridden 7 times since new. The picture looks super clean as well. The seller is asking $2,600 but I haven't been able to get hold of him yet to negotiate. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the 99 KX 250. What do you guys think and recommend? If you read all of this, I appreciate it! Matt

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Nice post KC, lots of relevant info here. Basically, your decision between a KDX and a KX is a decision between an entry-level bike and a race bike. The KDX would surely be the best bike for you today, but in 6 months it may not be. I would be curious to know how aggressive you are on a mountain bike. Since you race MTBs, I'll assume that you are pretty aggressive and like hammering downhills. If so, then maybe the KX will suit your long-term needs best. However, you will need to take it easy on the KX for a while because it is far less forgiving than the KDX.

It would not be cost effective to modify a KDX to KX standards, but a novice to intermediate level rider could easily be as competitive in the woods on a KDX as a KX. A KX makes a great woods bike too, with very little modification. Probably a $100 spark arrestor is all the bike really needs. You could spend thousands modifying a KX for the woods, but a good rider can take a bone stock KX to the sticks and still have an advantage over alot of so-called "woods bikes".

Don't write off MX until you have tried it. I know several riders who initially said the same things you are saying. Most of them ride tracks almost exclusively now. Good luck.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I dont know much about the KDX's as most people on this forum but they look pretty nice. The 00' KDX seems like an alright deal as does the 99 KX250, with all the extras. For that price that sounds really good since you will be getting a few hundred $$$'s worth of extra's. Hope whatever you pick works out for ya. I'm buying an 02' kx250 after this weekend so i hope team green is good.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Thanks for the info guys! When I ride mountain bikes, I am a very agressive rider. My brakes are like brand new! I love to go fast. I would say that I am very coordinated. I'm really leaning towards the 99 KX250. I'll go check em out and see what I think! Matt

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Shig hit the nail on the head. The KDX would e the perfect bike for you right now, but it may or may not be in the coming months. You mention that you don't think that you want to ride MX, but then again, you never know. I will tell you this; it is far easier to get a KX to behave well in the woods than to make a KDX into a track machine.

BTW, all of the bikes that you provided pictures looked to be nice bikes.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
If your gonna get the kx, then get the 01, as it looks cherry...plus the power would be better suited for you over the 99kx....but I think a kdx would be a better bike, bone stock for woods riding, cause you gonna have to make some mods to a kx to make it woods friendly....btw the kdx may have alot less hp than a kx, but trust me it can still hurt you....hope this helps...

Rob1111

Aug 15, 2004
Yea that 01 KX250 looks awesome. I know lots of people that said "Oh I'll never go on an mx track ever I just like to ride trails" and the next weekend they were looking for tracks nearest them. I thought I was only going to ride trails, then I bought an 03 KX250 and I couldn't be happier with the choice. Will the owners allow you to take a test ride? Good luck finding a bike, they all look pretty nice. :cool:

Top Bottom