Telemarker

May 28, 2007
I appreciate input from the forum. After many years on the street, I'm switching to off-road. I've got two young boys, and someday I'd like to get them involved in the sport. Thanks for your advice...my responses to the standard questions are below:
1) your physical size - I'm 6'2" and 190 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you - Physical, not overly agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- trails, with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience? 10 yrs street
5) Do you think you will race ? Never
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Only a limited amount of work my self
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Definitely 4-stroke, probably Honda, possibly KTM
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Multiple dealers nearby, carrying all brands
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $5K to $6K
10) Do you live in California? Nope - Colorado
11) Your age? 41
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. I have been recommend to go with a CFR450. I'm thinking that a 250 would be fine.

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
the honda crf250x bike sound like a great bike for you. if your just starting off road i definantly wouldnt want to hope onborad a 450.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Since you plain to ride trails and no track I'd recommend the CRF250X or CRF450X from KTM I'd recommend the 450 EXC. The advantage with the KTM is street legal right off the showroom floor if there is any need for having the ability to hit a road to connect trails. If there is no need for the street legal aspect I'd go for the CRF450X.

Top Bottom