NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Here's a variaton on the "which bike should I get" topic- I have 2 MX'ers. I don't need two MX'ers. Which one should I keep? Here's me:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5' 6", 175 lb street clothers, 44 yrs old.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Let's say I'm "cautiously agressive". That is, I'm not foolish, but when I need to turn the throttle, I turn it. I'm one of the faster/better riders on our little local track.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with
I play-race on MX tracks on these bikes. I ride 1-3x a week

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Only about 30 years worth....

5) Do you think you will race ?
Unlikely. Maybe once a year in a western-type Hare Scramble (.ie much more open an MX-like that an eastern woods).

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Absolutely. Always have.

Here are the candidates:
2001 KX125- purchased new in crate in '03. Ridden by a local AX'er for 1 year, then purchased by me. Bike has PR2 suspension, ProCircuit pipe/silencer, V-Force reeds, new chain/sprocket, new tires, new bars, 2.5 hrs on new piston/rings. It needs nothing and has been a very reliable scoot for me. I love the size and fit. I know the bike inside and out. I've learned a LOT from riding this bike.

2004 KTM200sx- I'm the 4th owner, but owner #3 only had it for a month and never rode it. #1 or #2 rode this bike hard- deep scratches in plastic, bent up brake cable, infamous KTM crankcase countershaft leak (but not bad), other signs of less-than-perfect maintenance. I don't know the status of the piston/rings yet, but plan to pop new stuff in ASAP. Will need new piston/rings, chain/sprockets, bars, and CS crack welded. Has typical (so I hear) KTM problems of not holding pressure in front brake between rides, leaky fork seals (not bad), and the already mentioned CS crack. In spite of these things, I love the great power, good handling, and overall feel of the bike. I'm very comfortable with the bike and I think I ride it safer because the extra power helps me on jumps and I just don't to push as hard as I do with the KX125.

I don't really need to sell either one, but I also really don't want to maintain 2 MX'ers. The KX is almost worthless in today's market and I think I'd be lucky to get $1200. The KTM should bring around $2000, esp. with fresh plastic. I like to ride them both about the same, but like I said, I think I'm safer on the KTM. The KTM will require more $$$ to get into shape, the KX is good to go for the next 6 months.

I don't want a new bike and I don't want a 4-stroke.

What would you do?

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'd keep the kx and sell the KTM ASAP without investing ANY money on it. Unlike you, I have 2 months of experience in mx and have bought my first bike (with my money, not papa's cause he hates the sport) at the start of the season. I was too anxious and bought the first bike I "visited". Later on I found out that the bike was not in the shape I expected :
Rear shock equaled Game Over, clutch plates were toast and the basket was notched, you've never seen a rear brake disc as finished as mine (I'll get a new one next year), right engine cover was cracked and started leaking after I changed the basket,

Brief, I should have sold the bike instead of investing on it. I bought the thing 2500 bucks and it is now worth 4000. Learning=Costly
Being in your shoes, I'd sell the KTM.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Like getting a bike, in the end, the decision must be made by you. Maybe this will help: which one do you like riding best - brings the most enjoyment? And to a lesser degree, which one do you like wrenching on most?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sell the kx and make the pumpkin better than new .......................in the spirit of halloween

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
placelast said:
Like getting a bike, in the end, the decision must be made by you. Maybe this will help: which one do you like riding best - brings the most enjoyment? And to a lesser degree, which one do you like wrenching on most?

I like riding the KTM better. It's like the KX, only more of it. The suspension is sprung better for me, the power's nice, and I have no real issues with RIDING the KTM. I like working on the KX better, though, probably because I've worked on Japanese bikes all my life and Kawi's for the past 7 years. The KTM has just enough "different" stuff to make wrenching a game of "huh??". I mean, I had to get the manual out to find the oil drain plug!! Plus, it seems like I HAVE to work on the KTM more- leaking fork seals, finicky brakes, etc.

The resale value is also part of it. I hate having to practically give the KX away.

BTW, the 200sx came from Las Cruces.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'd invest on some new 3 valve body system suspensions for the kx and get a big bore 144. That should keep you busy! You'll probably regret selling your kx as you seem to love the bike. I have a feeling the KTM is new stuff for you and that is interesting. But make the kx run differently so to surprise yourself. Plenty of modes exists. The decision in yours...

Oh and KTM's aren't reliable, but if you like mechanics you must not mind. In what classes can you race with a 200 BTW?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
trial_07 said:
I'd invest on some new 3 valve body system suspensions for the kx and get a big bore 144.

Oh and KTM's aren't reliable, but if you like mechanics you must not mind. In what classes can you race with a 200 BTW?

Pretty astute answer- you're almost reading my mind! I've been thinking about a 144 kit for awhile.

Reliability is VERY important in my book. I manage and maintain 4 pickups, a Suburban, a back-hoe, a tractor, 2 generators, 2 stock trailers, 2 flatbed trailers, 3 utility ATVs, 90 miles of barbed wire fence, 7 windmills, 8 tanks with floats, 3 kids, a house, a wife, and 2,000 head of yearling cattle. I don't mind doing routine maintanence on the bike, but when it comes time to ride, I want the bike to be ready. That's why the KTM brakes and fork seals are kind of frustrating- they get mushy and start leaking while the bike is sitting on the stand.

Which classes? Age classes- I'm 44 so I can ride the vet class. I'm only racing once a year or so anyway, and it's not like I'm in contention for the Nat'l Championship or anything, I'm just doing it as a challenge. And the races I've done are 2 hr. Hare Scrambles where endurance is more important than sprinting speed. Last one I did (last year), I rode my KDX200. 90% of my riding, though, is done as play-racing at the local track- we don't even have official races, just "open track".

I think I'll take the KTM down to my local-ish dealer and put it on the floor. He does consignment for just 10% and if it sells, great, if not, that's fine too, I'll take it back in the spring.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I agree with you especially if you have to maintain a wife:yikes: (Just kidding) The kx just seems as your best bet. I'm looking to getting a 144 on mine too if I don't sell it. The trouble is I'm in Canada=no place to get the cylinder done. Good luck!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
trial_07 said:
I agree with you especially if you have to maintain a wife:yikes: (Just kidding)

Actually, I have an incredible wife and she doesn't want me to sell EITHER bike! Her exact words were "You should keep them both and that way you'll have a backup."

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
NM_KDX200 said:
I like riding the KTM better...I like working on the KX better

Ride the KTM and wrench on the KX? Nah; as much as your wife's suggestion is wise.

Reliable KX125s? I'm glad for you both, though mine ate all my wrenching time ad naseum (due to being a hybrid?), whereas my RMX was XR-ish by comparison. My conclusion was the 250 did not have to work as hard to extract a particular level of performance - therefore I would be less inclined to buy small again. (Hyprocryte here: a few months ago I bought a 250 RFS!)

The 144cc idea did initially spring in my mind earlier but it seems like most of the newfound power of thus is up high in the RPM range - more like big-125 delivery without the forgiving lower-RPM grunt of a true 200.

Ain't it grand being an American?

NM_KDX200 said:
The resale value is also part of it. I hate having to practically give the KX away.

Either way, you will take a loss - be it dollar-wise or sentimentally.

NM_KDX200 said:
BTW, the 200sx came from Las Cruces.

You say that like it's a good thing....j/k. I take it the cases need to be split to weld?

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
well, take the bike with more power, KTM. I have no bias and wouldn't listen to one with a bias and having a Kawi avatar.

If you sell the KX and fix up the KTM you will have a bike that is perfect condition, and have more power. Parts are great priced these days, don't worry about that.

Don't listen to bias BS.

I have NEVER heard of KTMs being unreliable. That is a false and ignorant statement.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
placelast said:
Reliable KX125s? I'm glad for you both, though mine ate all my wrenching time ad naseum

You say that like it's a good thing....j/k. I take it the cases need to be split to weld?

I thought the KX would a headache, too, but really- it's easy on chain/sprocket, easy on tires, and the brakes and suspension are trouble-free. The clutch has been amazingly good, granted, I'm not riding it at full race pace. Ring life has been great with no problems. All in all, I've been surprised. 'course, I suspect a clean air filter every ride and fresh tranny oil every 3 rides might have something to do with it? :nod:

I just mentioned the Las Cruces connection in case you might know the former owner. You LC guys all know each other right? :)

I was looking at it and I don't think the case needs to be split- looks to me like it will bolt-off. I'll have to check KTMTalk and the manual to be sure.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. We'll just see what happens.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
If you can swing it then do the 144 kit and see if it raises the fun factor of the KX up to near the SX's territory of go; may make the decision easier, but at a price. I know you are out in the sticks but perhaps an owner will let you throw a leg over one; too bad there's no DW2006.

I'm not brand loyal either - just oriented to what is most fun or applicable to your style, use, etc.

NM_KDX200 said:
I just mentioned the Las Cruces connection in case you might know the former owner. You LC guys all know each other right? :)

Lol.

Yah; like all two guys I know that ride thus far, and we've been out twice. The third fellow - time out in the three months of being here - we met up at Cloudcroft (nice place but lots of rocks - did I say lots of rocks? The Texans sure like it, though - got to see Steve Hatch at last month's Mile High enduro rider's meeting and then later through our check; he rides KTM now.)

There's not many folks who ride here, and that's a shame. It may be economics, the heat or what I don't know. There is plenty of open space.

I would ask about the SX for you but these guys have been involved with KTM for less than a year.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
NM_KDX200 said:
I don't want a new bike and I don't want a 4-stroke.

I'm such a hypocrite. I was down at my dealer's today and he has 2 brand-new, left-over, '05 YZ450F's on the floor, one with Tag upper clamps and bars and FMF Titanium pipe, the other stock for $5777 and $5250 out the door. I came THIS CLOSE to signing off on the FMF one but decided to give it a week. If I sold the KTM and the KX and a Fender '52 RI Telecaster I have, I'd have at least $4000 toward the YZ and I bet it would last me for the rest of my riding career.

The fun thing about all this is, as far as I'm concerned, ALL the options are good! :) No matter what I do, the resulting bike is sure to be fun.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Keep the KX, 125's are fun bikes on and off the track. Back in the 80's I had an 85 KX125 and loved it. We rode woods back then and all my friends on their 250's although more powerful could not handle the trails like I could on that 125 with the quicker power band.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
At your height, moreover riding intent, you certainly want to do a few laps on a 450 before taking the plunge; the Yamahas are tall, and all 450s brutally powerful - so much bike that it would plain wear me out with all that firepower on tap; they are not gentle giants. That's not to say it would not be a good choice for you or anyone else - just be sure what you are getting yourself into - it's a whole different animal than a 125 or 200.

My observation and preference is to be wanting motor rather than regretting excess and the baggage it brings. Hence, the 250 (351) RFS i recently bought as opposed to converting a 250 MXer for off-road; the former I can wring for all it has and at teh same time avoid the emergency room, whereas the latter is much closer to that trip to the Dr.

I'm all for getting something a bit different with each new bike purchase (because life deserves to be lived to it's fullest; there are many things to be experienced and appreciated before one leaves), although that's (450) is like being on the other side of the world of where you perhaps want to be.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
placelast said:
the former I can wring for all it has and at teh same time avoid the emergency room, whereas the latter is much closer to that trip to the Dr.

although that's (450) is like being on the other side of the world of where you perhaps want to be.

Good advice and I hear ya. That's why I bought the 125 in the first place, then moved to "just" a 200 (instead of, say, a KTM300), and that's why I was able to walk out on the 450. I spent some quality time tonight reading "450F vs 250F vs everything else" posts on the various forums and I think I agree that the 450 would be too much. I HAVE ridden a YZ450F and an RMZ450. I felt a little bit "tippy" on the YZ and instantly comfortable on the RMZ. However, I also noted that whereas our little track seems roomy and challenging on my 125 that it feels tight and everything is easily over-jumped on the 450.

Plus, at my age, I'm doing this at least 50% for the work-out and there's no question I work harder on the 125.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
NM_KDX200 said:
II came THIS CLOSE to signing off on the FMF one but decided to give it a week. If I sold the KTM and the KX and a Fender '52 RI Telecaster I have, I'd have at least $4000 toward the YZ and I bet it would last me for the rest of my riding career.

Amazing....in the past week I have sold the KTM200sx, the KX125 (which I've been trying for 3 months to sell), and the Telecaster. I didn't really want to sell BOTH KTM and KX, but I had a commitment on the KTM and then a kid came out to look at the KX and wanted it, so I figured the smart thing was to let him have it.

I'm riding the track/shop owner's 450F and 250F tomorrow and then I'm going to stew for a few days on whether I want the brand-new '04 YZ450F (for a killer price) or the brand-new '06 YZ250 2S stitting next to it. One thing I'm not going to do is rush the decision. Lots of great bikes out there. Who knows- maybe I'll end up with an '06 YZ125 or a new 200XC...or...well, anyway, I'm bike shopping and it's FUN!!! :nod:

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I was just going to say sell them both and buy a bigger bike lol.

Sounds like you liked the 125 for reliability and the 200 for power.

The obvious choice was to sell both and buy a bigger more reliable bike. That was almost a DUH....

While the power seems intimidating when you go from a smaller bike to a bigger bike, a little seat time and you will become acustomed to the new power.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
If you are not intimdated with the seat height of the YZ250 2s then that may be the most versatile bike of the bunch - perhaps you get near the power of the 450, in the weight and handling package of the 250f.

The 2s may be at their zenith of development (I hope not) and general availability; our last chance to enjoy them at their fullest potential before they are regulated off the shelf.

(I know; then why did I not buy one? Believe me I tried - test rode two Gas Gases, 3 KTMs, and one CR, but none of them came accross as "the bike" to me. I do somewhat regret not trying RM250 - would still like to, though the few found when I wa ready sold quickly. Conclusion: like the latest YZ250 2s, most owners like them so much they are holding on; they must be good...)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
placelast said:
If you are not intimdated with the seat height of the YZ250 2s then that may be the most versatile bike of the bunch -

I'm not too intimidated by the height on the track- the KTM was pretty tall, after all, and it also had a straight-out fender that made swinging a leg over a pre-calculated deal. Plus, if I really like the bike, I can always have the suspension dropped an inch. I remember my XL125 with 3.5" in the rear and a whopping 6" up front (AFTER the fork kit!) and I really don't think I'll miss 1" from a YZ's nearly 12" of travel. :) I'm with you on the versatility. I rode a woodsified YZ250 a few years ago and it was fabulous.

apb

Feb 1, 2005
NM_KDX200 said:
Amazing....in the past week I have sold the KTM200sx, the KX125 (which I've been trying for 3 months to sell), and the Telecaster. I didn't really want to sell BOTH KTM and KX, but I had a commitment on the KTM and then a kid came out to look at the KX and wanted it, so I figured the smart thing was to let him have it.

I'm riding the track/shop owner's 450F and 250F tomorrow and then I'm going to stew for a few days on whether I want the brand-new '04 YZ450F (for a killer price) or the brand-new '06 YZ250 2S stitting next to it. One thing I'm not going to do is rush the decision. Lots of great bikes out there. Who knows- maybe I'll end up with an '06 YZ125 or a new 200XC...or...well, anyway, I'm bike shopping and it's FUN!!! :nod:
lucky!!!...

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Placelast,

If you need people to ride with let me know. I usually spend Sundays out on the West Mesa or the Dona Anna's. Im in the process of getting a new rim and tire (other one ended up oblonged from an A mountain rock) but should be up and running some time this week. If you would like to hit the trails, give me a time and place and I would be glad to shred some desert with ya.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
mongial said:
If you need people to ride with let me know. I usually spend Sundays out on the West Mesa or the Dona Anna's.

Hey, can I get invited!?! Long drive for me, but I love Las Cruces in the winter (got my wife and B.S. degree down there 20 yrs ago. Still have the wife and the initials on the degree are appropriate.... :) ) I also have musician friends down there. Might be time for a road trip!

I rode the YZ450F for 8-9 laps. It feels like a uber-XR400 to me. Definitely 4-stroke, but slim, good handling, all that stuff. I could live with one, I'm sure. At the same time, I'm going to miss the smell of pre-mix and the YZ250 still beckons. I think what I'm going to do is go to the dealer's this week, put my hands on each, and make a decision then.

I also rode the YZ250F (for 1 lap!) and it was clearly out for me. Light weight, but nowhere near the power of the 450F. I think the KTM200sx had it beat in every respect (which goes to reason that I'll probably like a YZ250 better than a 450F, eh?).

Top Bottom