mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Alright everyone on the board helped out a lot for my first bike purchase. After racing my 1990 CR250 a few times I've come to the realization that I kinda need a newer bike in order to be competitive :) I will list the usual stuff first, then go over some specific requirements.

I'm 6'0" 167lbs. This is my first year racing, been riding for a while. I am already set on a 250 2-stroke.

I'm going to disregard the outline, cause I'm looking for some specific things.

I'm looking for a good bike for woods racing, mainly Hare Scrambles. I will probably take the bike to an open MX practice or two, but woods racing is #1 priority. I am a "C" class rider right now, but pretty ambitious, hopefully in a few years I will be moving up.

My main concerns are:

1. suspension
2. braking
3. weight
4. reliability

My CR already has more power than I can fully utilize. I like riding in the lower range of RPMs, but I can adapt if need be.

I want something with a strong motor that "just works." My current plan is to spend the bulk of my extra $$ dialing in the suspension and upgrading the brakes. I have 2 years of college left so I will probably be buying a new bike in 2-3 years. Therefore I want a bike that will be competitive for that long.

My budget is right around $2500. I prefer buying from a private party, I'm not a fan of dealerships for new or used things.

I had my heart set on a newer CR, but after reading it seems that probably isn't in my best interest.

Am I better off buying a 2000-2002 era bike, and spending $$ on suspension / brake upgrades, or do I go all out for a 2004-2005 and ride it as is? It seems that manufacturers redesign the bikes every 4-5 years. Is my money better spent buying the 1st year of a new design (like a 00-01 YZ) and putting money into upgrades, or just get the newest bike I can...

Any insight y'all can provide will be helpful.

P.S. I am in the Minneapolis area, if you have a bike for sale that meets the above, please contact me.

Al2707

Jun 22, 2006
When i was looking for a bike i read in some forums that the 00-01 CRs had the best and most powerfull engines but the frames were re-designed in 02 so it depends what you want realy. Also if you prefere to use the lower rpms you should probably consider a 4 stroke as they have way more tourqe and a smoother - better delivered power bands.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Naw no 4 -strokes. I'm strictly against em for no particular reason.

I do fine on the 2stroke and have come to like the thwap of the powerband.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Well I'm going to look at a 2002 CR250 tonight. Not exactly what I wanted, but the price is right. He's looking for $2000 / B.O.

I'm fairly certain that if I offer him $1,700 he will take it.

From the ad:
This is a 2002 honda CR 250 very well taken care of with many after market parts. Applied Racing triple clamp. Pro taper bars. Gold series FMF pipe with FMF shorty silencer. Radiator guards and supports. Skid plate. Extra durable chain Slide. Full race tech suspension. Full Hinson clutch with brand new clutch plates. V force reeds and cage. many more extras and stock parts.

Top Bottom