KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
My clutch fibers and plates in my KX250 are trash. I was looking at the EBC Kevlar kit from Rocky Mountain. Not too bad for $100. Steel plates. I was also looking at the DP clutch kit. Any thoughts or experiences with either of these kits? Thanks! Matt

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
KC10Chief,
Did you take care of your basket or did you just file it down? It really depends on what you are looking for from your clutch. If I remember correctly you like to abuse your clutch? If that is the case carbon fiber truthfully is not the way to go. Look at steel clutch plates. Carbon Fiber are tough but they are not designed to be used long term. They are a fiber design and therefore absorb more oil than you want for long term use. They are great if you can afford to replace them after every race due to the weight savings and reduced metal shavings in your tranny fluid.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
The EBC kit does have steel plates. The "fibers" have a kevlar lining on them or something. I am definately hard on a clutch. I ordered a Hinson basket today and went to the dealer and bought another OEM clutch hub. My old clutch basket looks like a serrated knife! Thanks for any more thoughts! Matt

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
Let us know which product you went with and how it works for you. And as you may well know being a military man stick a disclamer at the bottom stating this is my opinion and my opinion only.........

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
Matt,
I think you will be just fine with OEM plates. The basket is what usually wears first. If you are hard enough to break a plate make sure the the bottom end is torn down and every piece is found. Otherwise you might miss a few gears on a regular basis.

Top Bottom