geeshawner

Sep 30, 2002
I am thinking about selling my KDX to buy a 250 four stroke. The KDX has served me well for the three years I've had it, but it just seems like it doesn't fit me too well. I am 6'3", 180 lbs, and 15 years old. The KDX is plenty fast but when I get on my dad's DRZ it seems much easier to go faster because I am more comfortable on the taller bike and I don't have to concentrate on clutching and shifting as much(it being a four stroke). I know I could mod the KDX to make the ergos better but I would rather not put the money into a two stroke when I really want a four stroke. I don't really need all the power of a 400 and could do without the extra 60 lbs so I am leaning towards one of the new 250f's. I will be riding it on michigan singletrack which is really sandy and whooped out, and I also want to try a little MX. I could buy a used yz250f for a little bit more than my KDX cost me or I could buy a new bike with a payment plan. Which bike would suit me best considering my size and riding? I know I will probably have to get high bends, tall seat foam, ect... to make any of them fit me. I also would like to add an autoclutch if money allows.

Shawn

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
You could get a killer deal on a KTM 250 RFS if there are any around .

I am biased, because i like KTM's, but the 250 KTM is a downsized 450- so it should be pretty rugged. The YZ seems delicate for trail riding, just what I have heard from those who own them.

The KTM also has a big chassis. most really big guys seem most comfortable om KTM's, you have room to stretch out.

have heard good things about the CRF250X, but once again it is a screamer and will need maintenance.

You could consider a 300 KTM, you get the benfits of a low maintenance 2 stroke, some serious grunt and a big chassis. Just my ideas, hope you find the perfect ride.

00rm125

Nov 28, 2003
Get a yz250f hands down! I own an 01 yz250f and most of my riding buddies have yz250f's and kdx200's. We ride mainly New England woods with major rocks, roots, mud, whatever you can find along with some motocross for fun. With a suspension revalve, skidplate, and other guards, the yz250f is by no means "delicate" on the trail! As far as maintance goes, change oil frequently with a good quality oil (yamalube etc), keep airfilter clean and lubed, check valves every few months, and that is about it for the yz250f along with the other basic maintaince (greasing, chain maintence, etc). The yz250f is a torque monster and is the type of bike that makes your face sore from smiling so much :laugh: . It really is the perfect all around bike in my eyes. Yea, its "only" a 250f but it doesn't require me to rev it to the moon. I would certainly go with a yz250f or even the crf250r or crf250x, those Hondas look pretty good as well.

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
i would suggest that you would stay away from a 250f. Nice bikes, make good power, but engine life isn't really all that long. if you want a buletproof 4-stroke a drz, klx or xr is a good choice. if you want a 4stroke that is tough with a little more snap i would suggest a KTM. it is easyier to adjust to a little more power that a 400 puts out then to buy a little motorcross bike and not be happy with the power.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Take a look at the new TE250 Husky - the 450 won bike of the year. They have turned out to be longer living motors than alot of brands.

geeshawner

Sep 30, 2002
Thanks for the replies.

Enduro_Nut, where can I find some info on the TE250? Also what did the 450 win bike of the year in? (which magazine or whatever) I'm just curious as I will probably still end up buying a used Yamaha for a couple thousand and then putting the money I save into some upgrades to make it a woods weapon. I'm thinking I could make it tougher than nails with protection, revalve the suspension, and maybe even do a few motor mods yet keep the whole thing under 4000. I will get 20/hour doing construction for my cousin next summer so it shouldn't be hard to save that much. I'm not too worried about the engine rebuilds as I need to learn that kind of stuff anyway so it will be good for me.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Firewalker said:
i would suggest that you would stay away from a 250f. Nice bikes, make good power, but engine life isn't really all that long.

I've been looking at buying a four-stroke as well. One of my major concerns is the maintainance intervals, more specifically the longevity of the valve train.

What I've come to learn, is that those who do not adjust thier riding style to suit the nature of the four-stroke (i.e ride it like a 125 two-stroke) suffer the worst engine damage.

While four-strokes are designed to hit red line, it isn't prudent to keep it there. If you always "need" to make maximum power, you will pay the price in maintaince.

geeshawner, in the environment you ride, this shouldn't be an issue. However, if you buy a used 250F, you need to assume that the top-end is trashed and maintain it accordingly. WIth that said, a new 250F might be a better value.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
By all means get a YZ 250 F, it is the most fun thing on 2 wheels. :laugh:
I bought the first 01 that my local dealership got in and raced it for the better part of 2 seasons with out a problem.
I am 6'4" and 250-260ish.
Now I know what you are thinking, I am an old fat man and my opinion doesn`t matter.
But while I do ride the vet class sometimes, I am an expert level rider, so lets just say that I did not "baby" it at all.
I raced it in anything from a WORCS race on the west coast to the Alligator enduro on the east coast.
I never found the bike to be a handicap, in fact I felt like a hero on the bike because I could ride at my true potential longer.
Sure in the west coast races I would get my doors blown off on any really high speed straight, but an hour latter I would blow by those guys because they were all getting tired and I was still feeling fresh and just giggling under my helment.
But I will say get at least an 03 or newer, the automatic decompression release is worth its weight in gold. I did have some starting issues with mine when it was good and hot.
I lived a couple of years in Mich. so I know the terrain you will be ridding in and I whole heartedly reccomend the bike. You will rage on those whopped out sandy trails. :eek:

Bundy

geeshawner

Sep 30, 2002
Thanks for the advice. I might consider buying new or at least an 03 like you say. If I buy used I plan on treating it like it was beat to death, valve clearance never checked ect. I've looked around a bit on the forms and heard about guys who buy them used, go off and ride them not giving it a second thought and a little while later end up with a thousand dollars worth of engine repairs. Doesn't sound like fun.

Top Bottom