Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
I want to race a C class enduro next year. I have a 20003 XR250. I will be riding in wooded areas half the time. I was told I will want something with an aluminum bar and the plastic guard that is easily replaced.

So...which brand and model do I get?

I saw some from Tusk "D-Flex" for $50

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I would buy the Enduro Engineering ones they are about the same price or cheaper and sometimes the will even engrave them for free.

oilfieldtrash

Nov 29, 2000
Enduro Engineering is the only way to go, steer clear of the models with the bend in them, they have to make them out of softer material to get the bend so they also bend easier durring a fall, IMO

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Funny thing.... I called Cycra and asked them "...so, why the bend?" They didn't have a real good reason, other than "...it gives the rider more room". :think:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I know a few guys who have broken their wrists going over their bars and catching their hand on the plastic shield mounted to the aluminum hand guard.  The Cycra 'dip' lowers the plastic guard enough that you are less likely to catch it.  Also,  a lot of the debris that flys up to hit you comes from the ground, and the lower mounted guards will catch more of it, IMO.

Cycra Pro Bends are the best I've used, and they are plenty strong. 

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. For me, I'm much more likely to get whacked with a branch - both under and over the BB, than I am to go over the handlebars and get my wrists hung up on them. The sides of my BBs take a beating from trees as well.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I really like the Moose hand guards. They are one of the best guards I have used.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I personaly have the moose guards which have out lasted two sets of handlebars without a bend in them. I believe the bend in the cycra is so that you can mount them to the triple clamp instead of the handlebar. My brother has them on his bike and he did put a dent in them in a collision with a tree.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I personally love the Acerbis all plastic hanguards. Yes, I said ALL plastic. I've had zero stuck throttles, and after a crash I simply move the barkbuster back into place. I highly recommend these, I've raced for 3 seasons on them, and have yet to experience one failure, and I've wrapped them around the bars alot.

Give is good in my opinion, it keeps your wheels on the ground pointed where you want them to go, rather than deflecting.

Jon

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
The Moose and EE's are the same thing. although moose has not updated their plastic shroud to the new design yet. I like the idea of being able to replace just the shroud.

coolktm

May 29, 2002
I have the Cyra and everytime I have a hard crash the screw strips out (the swivel piece) I do think they have a lot of room but the aluminum mounting pieces are way to week.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I've had the Cycra's for a while(2 years), and don't really like them. The metal seems really week, I've had to replace various pieces because of bending or getting stripped out alot. By the way Dirt Bike Dave, these guards do NOT protect you from breaking your wrist when going over the bar anymore than any other company, it's happened to me twice. Don't get me wrong the guards are alright, and the guards(any company) only HELP prevent injury, smashing your hand into a tree while riding in the woods is inevitable. I would reccomend buying a guard with a replaceable shroud.

Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
I ordered the Enduro Eng. with aluminum bar and old style deflector. They weren't exactly my first choice but, it seems that most people are using them with a decent track record.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I had some Fredette Racing Products handguards, and they worked great. The Moose and Enduro Engineering look about the same as an FRP. I think he used to make the ones Malcom SSmith sold or maybe it was Moose. I am not sure. Anyone know for sure on that?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I feel the moose ones are a bit thinner, Then the Fredette or EE ones But not sure.  Acerbis has a high end set of bark busters that work nicely. I had a cheap set of Emgo's. The only thing on those I like was the way they locked to the end of the handle bar's"split plug's". Go for either the EE, Fredette or Acerbis.

Last edited:

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I have the Acerbis Rally Pro aluminum guards with the plastic shield built in and I don't have any complaints with them. They are sturdy and take a beating well.

Mark

Jtown

Nov 26, 2001
Ditto with the Rally Pros. I tried the all plastic Acerbis guards and one broke the first time I clipped a tree. Never had a prob. with aluminum guards. I also use MSR brush guards- the plastic/cordura floppy type that buckle on over the bark busters with a strap that can be taken off easily for open stuff or warm weather. They're great in cold or muddy conditions.

Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
+1 Rally pros
I have stripped out the handle bar clamp mounts
(There like 10/32 ish)
But I just re tapped them for a 1/4 20 F.H.C.S. plenty of
meat for that.

Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
What ever you do dont buy the acerbis ones they suck. The threads on mine got ripped out on a crash I now run the MSR ones they are great

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by ktmracer
The Moose and EE's are the same thing. although moose has not updated their plastic shroud to the new design yet. I like the idea of being able to replace just the shroud.

Moose has a totally new hand guard protector....it is pretty trick, easy to mount to the handguard, and offers a new design to allow brush and limbs to roll off the ends.

Check them out! On the Mooseracing.com site under products/controls/competition handguard protectors

http://www.mooseracing.com/HTML_catalog.asp?page_id=54&page_logic=Gear&page_title=Products

Top Bottom