jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
This season i am going to start hunting whitetail and wild boar/hog. which rifle would be good for that type of hunting? I want to use the same rifle for both types of hunting. I will be hunting in south georgia and northern florida. I really like the way bolt action rifles look but which one would have enough power to put down a large boar and whitetail?

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i currently have two rifles. my savage .243 is my favorite, small and little kick. i know from experience it could take down a whitetail and im pretty sure it could handle a boar.

i also have a savage 7mm magnum which has a LOT more power and kick. it could easily take down either one.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Moose said:
dirtrider.net :think:
off-topic discussion forum :nod:

Thanks for the advice guys. I am new to hunting and rifles. I am gonna go in search of one in the next few weeks or so to see what i can find.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I would want something with a BIG bang for boar. Those guys tend to not be really happy to begine with and when you irritate them they get really nasty.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I have to agree with Pat. Boars is related to Bears, and both can take a lot of damage before they go down.

I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06. Might be a tad overkill for deer, but you can get lighter loads for 'em. If you really want to be sure, go 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (DEFINITELY overkill for deer, but nice flat shooters).

If I had my 'druthers, I'd look into a lever action .44 magnum, and I'd pack the pistolero chambered the same for the close range stuff with the pigs, but I already got an /06 and a 7mm Mag.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
:p
untitled-1.jpg

Just add BBQ sauce

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06.

Ditto......Savage makes a great shooting bolt action rifle for the money.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
XRpredator said:
I have to agree with Pat. Boars is related to Bears, and both can take a lot of damage before they go down.

I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06. Might be a tad overkill for deer, but you can get lighter loads for 'em. If you really want to be sure, go 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (DEFINITELY overkill for deer, but nice flat shooters).

If I had my 'druthers, I'd look into a lever action .44 magnum, and I'd pack the pistolero chambered the same for the close range stuff with the pigs, but I already got an /06 and a 7mm Mag.
so either some type of a 30-6 or .308 and ill be fine with the boar?

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
Go with an 06 or a 308. You can buy factory ammo for these rifles the will do just about anything want in terms of North American game. If you get into loading your own ammo then there are few limits on these rounds. The 06 properly loaded can take anything on the continent.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Back in the day I had a Remington Model 7 .308. Had an 18 1/2 inch barrel and shot 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Great gun for deer and probably boar - it's so short (doesn't get caught on branches and bushes as much as a 22 inch barrel) and light - the models are around 6-7 pounds. Of course, the light weight does make it feel like it kicks a bit. . . It wasn't a lot of fun to shoot on the bench, but then again, I'm a wuss. ;)

I think that would be a great gun for you.

BTW, many of the other companies also make similar models. I'm sure I've seen Savage and Ruger lightweights. . .

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
I'm 17 and have been hunting since the day I was of legal age to do so lol. Of course, I would sit with my father in the woods before then. Maybe things are different here in NY, but the 30-06 is the gun of choice for deer. My father's whitetail gun is a 30-06 and all my cousins and family deer hunt with a 30-06. I have a .308 for whitetail. I was going to use a 6mm (about the same size as a .243) for deer, but opted for the .308. I don't think a 30-06 or a .308 is overkill for deer. It's a good caliber for boar and it's just as good for whitetail. If you're sensitive to recoil than go for a .308. Depending on the load a 30-06 can beat the hell out of your shoulder, but a .308 is a pleasure to shoot. My .308 is a bolt, nice and light for woods hunting and the recoil is minimal. My 12 gauge kicks more than the .308. Take a look around, a .308 or 30-06 will suit you fine. A .300 is probably pushing it.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
270 is a great Versatile gun, Winchester or Remington are great choices. I have a 270 Remington and Brother has a Winchester.
Just remember a properly placed bullet is more important than anything else. Get a good reloading guide and you can figure out which loads to use for which game.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Im not sure about the other rifles, but with the 30-06 you have to be careful because that round is going to travel up to 1 or 1 1/2 miles. If your shooting in the woods you probably wont have anything to worry about. In Northern Illinois due to hunting regulations we are only allowed to hunt with shotguns, because it is pretty populated and there are houses everywhere. Shotgun slugs dont travel far at all 750yards max. Just make sure when your hunting you know whats behind the deer or boar. Im pretty new to hunting myself, I started a couple years back when I was 16 so Im learning and picking things up as I go. good luck and be responsible, its another awesome sport!
Ben

Mar 16, 2007
hunting with a rifle is unfair in my opinion. A deer sees you from 100 yards away. Doesnt think you pose a threat because you are too far away. takes a look at you, and than slowly walks off or continues feeding. Than you prop your rifle onto a log or what not and blast the guy from so far away. he never knows wtf happened. Now I know deer that are hunted regularly become smarter but the still dont see you as much of a threat at 100 yards. I hunt deer with the bow and arrow. I use traditional archery equipment. Not a compound bow with all its sights and bells and whistles. I have both a longbow and a recurve. Use wood arrows and traditional broadhoads. An I deal distance for most game is about 20 yards. If you get good you can handle 40 yards. When any animal sees you this close they know you are a threat. I think its more fair for the deer. Its much harder than hunting with a rifle. But its alot more rewarding. Its REAL hunting. The way man has done it for 1000's of years. You should try it sometime.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
For Bolt 30-06 is a great caliber. For added fun use a .444 Marlin lever action and still hunt on the ground.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Hubert altho I haven't had the time for a while I prefer hunting dear by hand with a rock (if I can find one) the way my ancestors did it 1 million years ago. :nener:
Since I haven't had that much time lately and was getting hungry I switched to a bow which I vary between one I made in high school composite Fiberglass wood recurve and an old compound I bought 30 years ago.
When the gun season rolls into Wisconsin I pull out the rifles. My favorite is an old Winchester 30-30 model 94 carbine (to light for ideal boar hunting) that was made in 1947. I have never missed a deer with this rifle and only on 4 or 5 occasions needed a 2nd shot- but then again when I use this the average shot is around 20 yards.
my next 2 favorite are a .308 semi auto ( no recoil but heavy to lug around) and a 30-6 Savage bolt (higher recoil but a bit lighter). These 2 rifles tend to make me want to take long shots sometimes out to 70 yards (we hunt in very thick tight hilly woods).
Ideally I want to find a .243 bolt so in my old age I have the light no recoil longer shooting rifle to pick.
If I was going boar hunting (not bore they are to easy to find at work and seldom offer any challenge) I would want at least the .308 but would probably opt for 30-6 or 270 at least.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
hunting with a rifle is unfair in my opinion. A deer sees you from 100 yards away. Doesnt think you pose a threat because you are too far away. takes a look at you, and than slowly walks off or continues feeding. Than you prop your rifle onto a log or what not and blast the guy from so far away. he never knows wtf happened. Now I know deer that are hunted regularly become smarter but the still dont see you as much of a threat at 100 yards. I hunt deer with the bow and arrow. I use traditional archery equipment. Not a compound bow with all its sights and bells and whistles. I have both a longbow and a recurve. Use wood arrows and traditional broadhoads. An I deal distance for most game is about 20 yards. If you get good you can handle 40 yards. When any animal sees you this close they know you are a threat. I think its more fair for the deer. Its much harder than hunting with a rifle. But its alot more rewarding. Its REAL hunting. The way man has done it for 1000's of years. You should try it sometime.

i have wanted to try to hunt with a traditional bow. right now i hunt with a rifle and a bow but have never tried a traditional bow

Top Bottom