Which is better: XR250 or TTR250?

Terry Nugent

Apr 17, 2001
I am 5'6" tall and have not ridden in 10 years. Wanting to get back into it with my 8-year old son. I sat on the XR250 and could barely touch with one foot, but felt comfortable enough that I could ride it. The seat height on the TTR is supposed to be the same but haven't found one to sit on yet. Is the electric start something to consider? The price on both bikes is about the same. Also looking at the XR70 and TTR90 for my son, who has never ridden. Any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
We have both TTR 250's and XR 250's in our group and I would rate the bikes equal. If the price and dealers are equal, I would go with the Yamaha because the added benefit of the electric starter.....CRX

------------------

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I've never ridden a TTR 250 but from everything I've heard they run quite similar to a XR 250, which I owned for 2 years. The electric start can be a plus on the TTR, but the XR really isn't difficult to start. The electric sart will add up to more weight, so I think it would come down to whether you want more weight plus electric start or less weight but manual starting. Each bike has a large aftermarket following so you can easy upgrade either one if you feel the need for more power.

------------------

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
We have both TTR 250's and XR 250's in our group and I would rate the bikes equal. If the price and dealers are equal, I would go with the Yamaha because the added benefit of the electric starter.....CRX

------------------

Top Bottom