Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Hi all,

I need your advice on my next KDX. I currently own an 84 model, which I haven't ridden for several years. It's currently in pieces, waiting to be sold off as a wreck. So looking to upgrade to a newer model.

Take into account that I'm currently at 250lbs and 6ft. And I'm in Australia, so we're talking in australian dollars.

I'm looking at 2 bikes. The 1st a 94 model selling for $1500. The 2nd a 96 model selling for $2500. Each have had top end rebuilds. The 96 model has an FMF exhaust, whilst the 94 model has not. Both bikes at this stage appear to be in similar condition. Very good but missing a couple of components (ie. speedo, minor wiring).

In terms of suspension and ergos for my body and weight, which would be the better buy? Especially with the 94s USD forks versus the 96s conventional forks. Any notable difference in performance between the two?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The 94 USD's are for all practical intents and purposes the same as the 96 conventionals, save a bit more rigidity perhaps. From the price alone I'd be looking at the 94, assuming both are in similar condition. I don't think the 96 will be worth 1000 more, although the improved overall ergo's of the 96 are a plus for sure. Overall the suspension is going to suck equally on both models ;). You'll need to respring for your weight regardless which model you choose, and it's an equal undertaking on either bike. The 89-94 or "e series" engine is legendary for grunt factor though. It's a workhorse, for sure. Porting is a bit different on the H series, which gives it a bit more up top than the E series engine.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Check that the E series is not a JAP import, I live in NZ and we have quite a few of them here, not sure if you do in OZ too. The JAP import is a totally different spec and is pretty slow (28mm carb, metal tank etc. Just a thought.

samiam

Jan 3, 2000
I would spring for the '96 if only because it is the latest and most advanced design of the KDX. There seems to be more aftermarket plastic available for the '94 (Maier), but the '96 has the perimeter frame, and slimmer ergonomics. The '96 design ran from 1995 to 2007 with virtually no changes except shroud and tank color, and graphics.

Top Bottom