Which KTM, I know this has been asked many times!!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I ride a KX250r 2006 which I have converted for woods riding. I bought the bike because I wanted more power than the KDX200 I have before and the KX was priced right for me.

I rode a friend's 200exc 2000 yesterday, and all I can say is it is super smooth and makes riding seem quite effortless.

I like the power of the 250, but I like the smoothness of the KTM, the 200 didn't seem to lack power, it just wasn't explosive like me KX was when you needed it and you couldn't get the front up as easily to get over obstacles.

I think that KTM is the way to go and I will definitely get a KTM next, the question is which one would suite me??

I am 5'9" 194lbs and in good shape, I do technical trail riding, with big rocky hills and slippery forest sections and I want to stay on a 2-stroke.

Please advice.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Get the 300 and you'll never look back!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks mdkuder, please could you tell me why you say the 300?? I want as much information, so I can make the most informed decision possible.

Thank

Jul 24, 2006
the 300 will have a better bottom end and will not bog like say the 200 will pluss the added power is a big + i like my 250 but i think that i might be boing a 300 swap for my 99 in a short while the bike shop that i go to has one that the guy cracked the case and the cylinder and everything else is still good so i could do it for free (they will give me the stuff)

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I don't have any experience with one but have read plenty of praise in magazines and on message boards like this and www.ktmtalk.com.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I own a 05' 300, last bike was an 04 KX250 (both for woods riding); before that a YZ426 (woods converted) - if I were to buy a bike today I would first look to a 07 KTM 250 XC. Reasoning as follows: KTM for application, build quality and reliability. 250 because I want more response than the 300 offers, the 250 has enough bottom end power, the 300 has more but not so much more to offer an adavantage. I can't ride the 300 as hard as I can a 250. The 300 is more 4t like (this is good in certain situations - but a drawback if all you want is 2t characteristics) I would go with the xc for the closer spacing in the gear box, the wide spacing of the xc-w leaves "gaps" and doesn't offer any real advantage in top speed over the xc unless you are constantly in top gear on open terrain. All of this is IMHO and in complete opposition to most.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I spoke to Butch Hirsch and some other guys form KTM South Africa, they all said that I should go with the 200 XC-W. Butch has been involved with KTM for the last 35 years, many of his sonsored riders do testing for KTM before the bikes are released to the rest of the world, this is probably due to our favourable climate, terrain and our world class rides like Darryl Curtis, Riaan van Niekerk, Dom Finnis, Craig Stone and Louwrens Mahoney to name a few (all KTM mounted).

These guys have proven themselves against the best, Riaan and Darryl finished 2nd and 3rd in last years Red Bull Romaniacs Hard Enduro and 4th and 5th in this years edition, they also finished 4th and 5th in last years Erzberg Rodeo, Dom Finnis and Craig Stone finished 7th and 9th in the Red Bull Romaniacs this year and Louwrens Mahoney finished 14th at Erzberg this year, Darrly took a wrong turn and missed a check point while in 6th or 8th.

In our local national off road series Riaan raced the prototype 250 XCF-W, which was released for 2007 to the rest of the world.

So I guess what I am saying is I trust Butch’s opinion, he said that the 200 XC-W was the best bike because of it light weight handling, smooth torque and power delivery and he said that they are less likely to boil in comparison to the 250 or 300. He said that the 200 was less tiring to ride than the others, because you don’t have to fight the bike and he said the bike would climb anything the other bike could. He rides a 125 and says he gets up hill before guys on bigger bikes, he said the 200 was like a 125 in handling, but with more power. He also said that the XC-W (same as the EXC)was the better gearing for enduro’s and the suspension was better suited, the XC has a harder suspension setup and more of a motocross gearing like the old MXC.

stretch169

Apr 19, 2003
I have owned 2 200's and now own a 2001 250exc as well as a 2001 300exc. I haven't had the 300 very long but I love it. Don't get me wrong, the 250 has plenty of torque and power and I can ride it harder, but you can just leave the 300 in a higher gear and lug it like you wouldn't believe. If you are on all tight stuff and the trails rarely open up then the 250 may be a better choice, but the 300 really is a blast.

Dave

team FTB

Sep 26, 2005
Can someone enlighten me as to why the 200 is supposed to be easier to ride? Less wieght is understandable but don't you need a more aggressive mode (clutching, keeping the thing in the powerband, not losing momentum up hills that cannot be regained, etc.) on the small bore relative to the 250 and 300? I understand less wieght and subtle power use less energy but don't the above situations I stated also claim more energy?

I'm looking hard at the 200 and looking for others opinions who've ridden the 200 VS 250, 300.

Thanks in advance.

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
Well done going the KTM route, i live in P.E. and ride all the surrounding mountain trails on my `03 300, absolutely the best choise i ever made. I rode 2 KDX`s before the move and my riding improved 99% immediately. My bike was Darryl Curtis`s sponsered bike from Pro Action that i bought at season`s end, so speak to Butch and try to get hold of one for yourself, already race prepped, goes like a rocket and you could climb a tree with the thing. If you wanted to! THE BUSH IS ORANGE!!

greenrider200

Feb 21, 2001
You sound EXACTLY like me only a few years behind-- Started out on 98 KDX 200-- loved it but wanted more power after a year or two, so I got a KX 250. Definitely lots of power, but it was hard to ride in the woods. I got a 8 oz flywheel wt for it which definitely made it better (and I thought good)-- until I rode a buddy's 300 EXC for a short stint. It seemed slower at first (it was so smooth and linear, that it was misleading), but I could tell I liked it more. SO then I got my own and WOW, what a difference spending more time to get used to and and riding your own bike makes. It definitely has more power than the KX after goign back and forth between the two(especially down low), but it also handles better, has both lower and higher gears (wide ratio), less tiring, bigger gas tank, etc. etc. It is completely controllable, compared to teh KX which breaks loose without warning at times. I find myself going much, much faster on the 300 without even trying. And I can keep that pace for much longer as its much less tiring to ride. You can't go wrong with a 300 EXC (or XC-W as they are now).

Top Bottom