Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
Which KTM mini would be a good bike for a 7 yr old just coming off of a PW50? I was looking for a used one, but have heard that they are not very durable. He is wanting to race MX, and I just want one that will let him learn how to ride without scaring him. I am considering just letting him learn on a KX 60, but I think it might be too big of a jump right now.

vetracer

Jan 20, 2000
my daughter went to a 2001 pro jr from the pw still races both the pw dosen't get used like it did the pro jr is a great bike very reliable had a 2000 cm 50 cobra bought it new and never kept it running long enough to get through a race.those kids get used to the extra power quicker than the dads do!!

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Take a look at the Huskys. They are a good bike. And run with the KTMs. Not as equipped as the Polinis or Cobras, but are a very good bike. Plus they are easier on the wallet and they are havin a $200 accessory deal right now, and they even have a contingency program with the 50s

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Older KTM mini's had some problems but the newer ones are pretty problem free. If your buying used locating one that hasn't been raced obviously should result in a bike in better shape. There are several different versions of the same bike as well depending on what you want the bike for. As a side note I currently have a 1999 KTM SX50 Comp 2 which is a factory race model that came equipped with a Dominator style clutch and R&D pipe from KTM that will be for sale. The bike is perfect, never been raced and maintained by an anal KTM freak (me). Comes with a pair of MSR World Tour boots, KTM factory style graphics and seat cover still in the bag, spare clutch disc and the special tools for removing and installing the clutch assembly. Farmer John has first dibs but I'll entertain backup offers. Email or PM me if you are interested.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
As your child is 7, you'll need to look at a senior model. As he wants to race, then look at an LC50 SR or Polini X3 or Cobra BM. Alot of the problems with the LC50 have been resolved by KTM. Especially with the rear shock. Once the suspension gets dialed in most of the frame problems dissappear.

Don't sell your child short. If you get a non competitive 50, he'll out grow the power quickly and you'll be looking to upgrade it.

Also consider going straight to a 65! Depending on his birthday, you may only have two years of eligibilty in the senior peewee class. Where as on a 65 he has till age 11.

No matter which 50 you choose, you'll have mainentance issues with them all.

Good Luck

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
I would consider all these mini bikes in the high maintenance category. The CR50 from husky has the morini engine. We have had the husky in the family since January. The bike is used for about 4 hours almost every week. The biggest weakness is the ignition coil. They fail without notice. We have replaced 3 so far. The crank is the next problem. It is really only meant for a 5 HP engine not an 8. We have just had a new crank installed. The main bearings and big end were finished. Suprisingly the piston and rings were still servicable. The axle which is used for the swing arm is a joke. It is mild steel bolt with the thread on one site cutting into the 10mm frame guide. We replaced ours with a high tensile bolt and made spacers to avoid the bolt thread cutting into the frame. Simple and effective. Why couldn't husky do this ? The top engine frame mount had to be re-welded. There was almost no weld penetration. The frame and suspension are solid. The front sprocket is a 10 tooth and has been replaced with a 11 tooth. The regina chain is weak and been replaced with a 415 DID gold chain.

Consider this bike for the maintenance enthusiast. My advise would be to attend a race meeting and observe the spares people carry.

I would prefer the Husky over the KTM. You should have a look at the HM bikes. If I had to buy another bike it would be the HM.

Regards
TR
:silly:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Holy crap TR :eek: ! Have you had any luck with the dealership in replacing the coil. I had mine go out after 2 months, and took it up to the dealer and they replaced it free of charge. And it's been 6 months and it hasn't happened since, knock on wood. We ran the stock chain until it was time to replace it and the sprockets, and had no problem with it. Mabey my son wasn't as aggressive, who knows. I mabey mistaken but I think this is the second generation for the Husky minis? They are not the 50 class leader, but still a very competative bike, and hopefully will improve their mistakes in the future. I would like to see them suceed. You talked about a HM. What bike are you refering to?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Wraith, my choice would next time be the HM CRX 50. It costs a lot more, but I think the cost will probably be less over the period of bike ownership.
The Husky is solid. The bike has been crashed twice and nothing broke.
For Husky to succeed they will need a better engine and fix the swing arm bolt. The rest of the bike is fine.

Top Bottom