Which motor oil from an auto store

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
First of all... I've tried the search option and it gives me an error. Also I remember there was a post awhile back about this but for the love of Vishnu I cant find it.

I have an '03 cr125 and I went riding once with it (i guess it's somewhat broken in). So I'm thinking about changing the oil in the crankcase. Problem is the bike shops around here charge and arm and a leg for the "specific oil". Seeing the kragen auto parts is just around the corner I was wonder what I could use.

Also would I be able to use the same motoroil in an '03 crf230f?

Thanks in advanced

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
I wouldn't know wich oil you could use from an auto parrts store, as I use only 2 stroke gear box specific oil. But if you want to go the snake oil way, just make sure there are no anti friction additives in the oil, as these would cause your clutch to slip.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
make sure its 10w40 and not 10w30 which has the "energy conserving label star"... so i'd just get texaco haveline3 10w40. if you go to pennzoil website and compare their motorcycle oil and 10w40 auto oil, there is very little difference. and change it every 3 or 4 rides.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Nevada Sixx
make sure its 10w40 and not 10w30 which has the "energy conserving label star"...
;) exactly.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i know someone, that knows someone that knows Ron Hinson......aparently, Hinson tested every oil going and the best one they found was......wait for it........Valvoline 10/40.

it goes in both my bikes and is somewhat cheaper than mobil so i swap it every 2-3 rides.

Top Bottom