pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
My friend, mellisa, is getting a dual sport bike. She is problably about 5'4'' and wieghs about 120. She is looking at mainly Yamahas, because of the local dealer. The bike she has narrowed it down to is the TW200. Mainly beacuse that is the only one she can touch the ground on. She said the XT225 is too tall for her. I suggested maybe the TTR125 with mods. What would you guys suggest? I'd hate to see her pay almost 4 grand for a bike like that. There has to be something better that at least is liqiud cooled that would be good for her. She mentioned something about her dad and her going on a dualsport ride in california (where her sister lives) in the future. She currently has a DR100 and has had a BW80, and a 50 (KTM?)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
About the most cc's she can get besides the TW200 is 150. A CRF150F could be moded but you will spend at least $700. How far is she riding and what on? A TT-R125 even moded isn't to safe on the highway. The TW isn't much safer or much of a trail bike either. BTW, how much trails is she riding and how difficult is it? A KX100 might fit her and it would be a blast on the road. Not the tamest bike but when ported its not bad. Unless she gets a already DS she will spend $500 to make it and other expenses to make it fit her riding(size and power). A cheap option is find a old('80 to '85)175 or 200 enduro. The looks might not be great but it would make a tamer bike. Does she already ride?
Hope this helps.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
She rides mainly easy/intermediate trails. As i said before, her sister lives in Cali so she'd prolly be DSing there. The KX is a great idea. I'll definitly mention that to her, although some lowering will need to be done. I dont think that she would be caught dead on something that is older than her(16) or even close. I know that she rides often, but not too frequently. She rides with another friend, Stephanie, and i have walked around the 15 acres of trails at her house that they ride. The trails are easy and broken-in from her KX80 and ATVs. Most of the creek crossing have wide bridges across the, easy riding.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You might look into a Gas Gas Pampara. They are light and have a short seat height. If she is in Cali she might have a hard Time converting a 2-stroke, but this one may go as it is imported and already has all the street gear. It depends on what type of trail she will do as to weather the TW will work or not. I think for the any extended street riding you would want a four stroke unless you wanted to carry oil with you for the tank.

Top Bottom