Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm always interested in what draws people to certain images so I like to put stuff like this out here and get people's thoughts.

Shooting street scenes in the Chicago is my favorite type of thing to do, and the scarier the neighborhood, the better the pics seem to get (go figure). This is a shot from around Pulaski and Cermak in Chicago. Those who know the area will understand why this ISN'T a night shot. ;)

If any one is willing to share their thoughts I'd be interested and grateful to hear which version of this pic you like best and most of all why. :cool:

The original color shot from the camera is in the next post.

DSC_0005_IR_drn.jpg

DSC_0005_IR_H1E_drn.jpg

DSC_0005_BW_Blue_1a.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... and the scene in it's natural state.

DSC_0005_color_drn.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I like the original version the best, of the treatment processes above I prefer the third as the first struck me as really flat, the second just didn't seem to fit the scene to me, not sure why.

The first thing I do notice though is that with the current composition of the shot I find the partial door frame immediately leads me out of the frame to the right and distracts me.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the comments Doug. It's funny, in the color shot I was thinking about cropping the door out, but in the B&W versions (especially the third one) I kind of liked it in the frame. But I think you are right, the picture is better without it.

I guess what I really need to do is get better at framing from a moving car. ;)

Here's what they look like with the door cropped out.

DSC_0005_crop_drn.jpg

DSC_0005_color_crop_drn.jpg

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
While we are on the subject of cropping, which looks better in the pics below:

cropped to sort of look like a picture frame

DSC_0007_1_crop.jpg

or NO CROP and leaving in the visual clues that this is a reflection from a glass building?

DSC_0007_1_no_crop.jpg

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
kaboom1371 said:
every photo my eyes kept going strait to the hand dipped ice cream sign. :yeehaw: It just sounds so good right now.. :cool:

I agree, with you and Chili. In the first set I was immediately drawn to the doorway. After the crop I was pulled to the ice cream sign (by the way, how WAS that ice cream Rich?). I do like the final outcome of that shot all cropped up, the boldness of the black and brilliance of the white make for an interesting contrast. The original looks a bit too...."Ghetto", for my taste anyhow.

I'm unclear on the mirror shots. I think I like the cropped in one better. But I'm afraid if I study them too long I'll end up with a headache, lol. The distorted panel in the top row messes with me.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
After the crop I was pulled to the ice cream sign (by the way, how WAS that ice cream Rich?).

That's not an area where it's advisable to stop and get out of the car, so we'll just have to wonder. :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
That's not an area where it's advisable to stop and get out of the car, so we'll just have to wonder. :)

Yet they still sell ice cream :)

I'm torn.

The full color version comes off well and in a funny way, because of the colors, reminds me of the Caribbean.

The doors in the second b&w draw my eye because of the hint of detail, but the overall is closer in the third.

BTW, I like the juxtaposition of the waste basket full of trash and the urban piss on the wall.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
After seeing the original, none of the others stack up. Pathetic that someone with obvious talent defaces walls. After the negative shots, black and white is playing second. That area is not THAT bad till after 3 pm? Of the modified, the 4th, cropped stands the best! May be my computer, but the reflection looks almost the same, with the bottom being the only difference. More to look at, it wins.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I definitely prefer the door frame cropped and it's funny Tony mentioned the Caribbean as that was my first thought for the color version. Of the reflection shots I do prefer the crop, to much dead space on the right side of the non cropped version for my taste.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's very much appreciated. :cool:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I like the color version the best, but # 3 of the b&W's would be my choice. #2 looks like too much of a glam/softening filter was applied, and I just like the arrangement of dark and bright areas better on #3 that #2

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I like the black and white version better. I saw that first and thought if it were in color it would show the vibrance of the spray paint better. But the color of the top half of the wall surprised me and took me back to the B&W. I think the B&W helps convey the grittiness of the street/neighborhood much better. I might have cropped it even tighter. I like it with the door on the right cropped out, but I might have cropped the top edge just below the ice cream sign. I thought the metal grating in the window might play off the metal of the garbage can in a cool way. The metal window and garbage can frame the graffiti nicely and tell a little story about that street. Just my 2 cents.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kawidude said:
I like the black and white version better. I saw that first and thought if it were in color it would show the vibrance of the spray paint better. But the color of the top half of the wall surprised me and took me back to the B&W. I think the B&W helps convey the grittiness of the street/neighborhood much better. I might have cropped it even tighter. I like it with the door on the right cropped out, but I might have cropped the top edge just below the ice cream sign. I thought the metal grating in the window might play off the metal of the garbage can in a cool way. The metal window and garbage can frame the graffiti nicely and tell a little story about that street. Just my 2 cents.

This is why I like taking pictures so much. Lots of people can look at them and get something different out of it.

Your thoughts pretty much echo mine on this. I had that color image sitting on my drive for a long time and while I liked it, didn't think about it much until I did about 10 different B&W conversions. Then I started to see something that to me told the story of what that area is like, and the image really grew on me.

The cool part is the color image conveys something more upbeat to a lot of people, which is more than I would have hoped for.

I sure do enjoy this stuff.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
bizarre I like the color version of the first set without the door as if showing the inner city artwork as a vibrant colorful talent search type of thing

now the black and white dismal toughness of inner city life with the door lends me to think what's around the corner.

I guess it would depend on the point you are wanting show

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Hi Rich,
When I see a picture of graffiti I expect to see vibrant colors and feel let down the with b+w ones.The black and whites do convey the gritty side as somebody said.Nothing wrong with that either.
The distraction with the door for me is that it is only half there.As a rule of thumb I would not frame the picture that way.Either all of the door or none of it.
I am undecided about the curb showing.My thought is a little more street showing would convey life on the streets.I do understand that framing a picture in that neighborhood while looking at the display would be saying hey rob me from behind.
I critique myself while I critique you....rest assured.Keeps me sharp as well.
You have a great eye Rich.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RYDMOTO said:
I do understand that framing a picture in that neighborhood while looking at the display would be saying hey rob me from behind.

I actually shot that from my truck while rolling up to a stop light. The framing was rushed at best, but I tried to make the most of the opportunity. I was up that way yesterday and was hoping to get another crack at it but they stuck a bus bench in the way, so I guess I'll have to live with what I got. :whoa:

Last edited:
Top Bottom