Which pipe works best w/ RB carb mod on 200?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy All,

I've been lurking for awhile and have an '03 KDX200. I've been riding street bikes for years but I got the bug and bought the KDX about 6 months ago. I am working on the suspension now to get it correctly set up. After I get the suspension sorted out, I want to start working on waking up the motor.

I've read the hop-up section and searched through the threads and what I have planned is an FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF Power Core II, RB carb mod, Boysen reeds, and possibly the RB head mod. One thing that hasn't been really answered is which Gnarly pipe best complements the RB carb mod. I guess what I'm looking for is the widest usable powerband so I can ride in either tight or open terrain.

Just to give you an idea of where I ride, most of my riding places are wooded/scrub but there are plenty open stretches too. I live near Houston, TX.

Thanks,
Greg

BTW, I just wanted to mention that this is a great site and I've already learned a great amount.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
one fmf pipe adresses top end power and is mostly used on the 220's, the other one is a torque pipe which is more commonlyused on 200's. The Pc pipe appears to be more top end. A company called dynoport, makes top end and torque pipes also, and have heard Bill's makes pipes.... Any of the mods you make shouold increase power across the throttle range...

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks for the response. That's what I get for posting when it's late and I'm tired. I realize the the rev pipe will take some from the bottom end and add the power to the top of the rev range and the torque pipe will have a great bottom end with some sacrifice at the top. Will the RB mod really benefit low end torque and add some of the power to the top so that I' can get an affectively wider powerband going with the rev pipe or does it work best with the torque pipe giving 4-stroke like bottom end but still a good top end? I just wouldn't want to do two mods which would really cancel each other out.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Where you start from is knowing what you want to do.

The rb mod will improve the kdx performance. Period. Doesn't matter which pipe you choose.

The pipe you do choose depends on what you want to accomplish.

'Will the RB mod really benefit low end torque and add some of the power to the top...?

Yes. Or.....

'or does it work.... with the torque pipe giving 4-stroke like bottom end but still a good top end?

Yes.

To be clear (repeat? I'm trying to say?), choose whichever pipe suits your needs. The rb mod in your carb will be a benefit in either case. Choice of pipe <A> will not defeat the carb modification over choice of pipe <B>.

I have both the -30 and the -35 FmF pipes for my 200. I generally ride single track woods stuff...and prefer the -30. Point is, 'most people...' doesn't have a whole lot to do with you! Yeah, I used to prefer the -35, but I've improved my bike to the point that the -30 works perfectly in the woods.

Improve your bike so it suits you and where/what/how YOU ride!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
CC, thanks for the input. That's what I wanted to know. I'll be ordering the woods pipe. I've been following the Air Striker thread and have pretty much decided to get a 35mm A/S and send that to RB to be modified though I'm going to talk to them first.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Do keep in mind that it's just my opinion....and you know what they say about those! ;)

There are those that don't like the rb mod. Personally, I think they didn't bother with jetting the thing to make it work. Still....it's not a matter of universal agreement that the modification is a great thing.

You might do yourself a bit of a favor on the airstryker thing. Call ron first. No sense in buying the carb..sending it to him to be modified..then him sending it back when he can do the whole thing himself.

Will save you a bit of shipping....and very likely some money on the carb. I don't know what ron's pricing is now, but you never know until you ask!

It's a good idea to change things one at a time. Gives you an idea of what effects what, and to what extent.

Have fun!

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I have a 200 with a Rev and PW Carb moded by Ron. Whith what little riding I have done in tight woods and the local track, the combo works perfectly. Chugging and ripping accordingly. I'm having a hard time finding pump gas that is consistant enough to dial in the jetting, but even when it's off a little it is fun to ride...

Top Bottom