buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what pipe to get for my '98 KX250. I race hare scrambles as well as trail ride. I've thought about the the FMF Gnarly, but not sure seeing as how it's mostly for bottom/mid and I think I'd be better off w/an all-around pipe. I've got a Pro-Circuit Platinum pipe, but I tweaked it in a get off w/a tree.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I guess. It's the only pipe I've ever had on it. I'm hoping to find someone that has had some experience w/other pipes. From what I've read, the FMF SST sounds like a good pipe. But then again, from what I've read, Bigfoot could really be an alien........... ;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
buffmaster, I don't know how the SST works on the KX but I'm not particularly fond of it on my YZ. It pings a lot. I had a pro-circuit on my KX and I really liked it. I've heard that the FMF Fatty works well, especially with the overbore. Hopefully some people will chime in here that have had different pipes on the KX.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Yeah, I'm hoping for more responses as well. So far, I've liked my P.C. pipe, but haven't had any experience w/anything else. I was thinking the Gnarly b/c of all the time I spend out in the trees and what not.

RACINRAY

Feb 18, 2004
i have the gnarly on my 01 rm 250 although i have no complaints with this pipe i think the next one will be the fatty just because they are better everywhere i wish fmf would come out with the offroad version of the fatty makes it a little more dent proof. :clue:

Jon24

Nov 24, 2004
What would be the best pipe for a 2001 CR250? all i have is stock on it right now and im having a hart time deciding between the fatty or the sst..... Thanks for your help

Jon

motoxhon250r

Jan 31, 2005
jon24
I have the fatty on my 2001 cr250 and it works really well, it has good power althrough the gears, even in 5th gear when I crack on the throttle, its instant, no bogging what soever. As a matter of fact my buddy has a 91 cr500 and my little 250 will walk all over it, seems funny but its true. My fatty was getting in hard shape so I recently purchased a procircuit pipe only because it was in excellent shape and the price was right. I cant say how the procircuit works because its winter here,but I have no complaints with the fatty except that it dents easily.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
If you want the best all-around pipe, find yourself a stock one. All the others move the power from here to there, but the stock one is the best overall. If you want grunt, the FMF Gnarly is the same as the Fatty, but it is made of thicker material to be more dent proof. For screaming top end, try the SST. It kills the bottom but rips up top. Hope that helps, YZ165

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Not all stock pipes are better. Just look at the KTM 250...aftermarket added 2hp in the top end with no loss anywhere else.

I say save your money and send your PC pipe to a pipe repair place. Takes 1 week. $40 +shipping and you got a new pipe again. Look in the Dirt Rider ad section and you will find it. Just had this done and it was well worth the money.

gottamoto

Jan 29, 2005
I,m on my 3rd Knarly.1st one w/ a 1999 KDX, and the last 2 w/ 01 CR 250. Pipe works great for woods and MX but not for desert, althought my buddy w/ a 05 DRZ-S clocked me at 70mph @ WFO. And these pipes can take a beating.

Top Bottom