fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
time to move the trusty 99 kdx 220 out and replace it with somthing orange. The kdx suited me well in getting back into dirt riding but i want somthing a little more stable at speed.

I'm considering a 200 EXC a 250 EXC or a 400EXC. Most of my riding is 40 to 60 mile tight woods in wet Wesern WA trails with a occasional trip east to the desert and a yearly enduro or 2. Evans creek, capitol forest, Befair, Reiter, Naches Cle Elum and Gifford Pinchot etc.

5'9" 190 lbs pushing 48 The kdx is a 220 with a bored and plated carb, Fmf Rev pipe and TC2 silencer, ported,squish band modified, rad valve, resprung and revalved suspension. I've ridden a ktm 200 which a friend has and I consider that adequate power for most uses but it leaves me wanting a little more on the big hills. I dont know it the additional weight of the 250 or 400 is worth the addtional low end grunt.

Sure would appreciate any input I ca get on this happy dilemma.

Last edited:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
fishhead

I recently made the same switch and couldnt be happier. I went from a '94 KDX to a '01 250 MXC. The difference is night and day!! The KTM has suspension, power, tracks straight, holds a line in a corner. I had over 1500.00 in mods on my KDX and it doesnt hold a candle to the stock KTM in any way. make the switch now and thank me later. Oh yeah one more thing, when jetting, try a single taper needle and be amazed at the smoothness of the power delivery!
I usually ride capitol forest and Belfair. tell me about the other places you mentioned, i am looking for good riding spots.

ENJOY

Brian~

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tough call, lots of good choices. Might go ahead and consider a 300, same everything except power & torque as the 250 if your going to go with the 250. Me I'd lean towards the 400 just because that's sorta' where I'm hanging right now. Plenty of other options (NEVER thought I'd say that!) with other euro bikes setup for enduro type work too.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
As you can see from my sig, I own or owned all of the bikes you're talking about. Well, the KDX is a 200 and is stock but it's about the same basic package. You're size and experience level says to me you're looking at the right bikes. I can't really help you decide, though. They're all great choices. I raced my 250E for two seasons and loved it. Completely reliable, fun, stable and plenty fast for woods work. My 400E is a bit heavier on the scale but I don't notice it at all in the woods. I really love this bike for what I do and I'm faster on it than my 250. The 200 is also a great bike with a bit smaller of a frame and lighter still. It's got an awesome motor for a 200, too. Very strong. A bit more vibe's than the other's, though. The 400 has ZERO vibes thanks to the counter balancer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom