AirtimeMosely

Dec 29, 2004
I have a 04' CR125R. It has awesome power because I weigh 115 and only ride it in the woods. However, I heard that adding a new reed valve will give it a big punch. My only upgrade is a fmf Q pipe.

My bike fouls plugs if i'm not on it in the wooods but goes white in my open feild. I just get use to it. I've jetted the bike very lean. The needle is an entire leaner needle, a leaner slow jet, and a leaner main. The shop also lowered my bowl level 2mm. It will also foul plugs on warmup very easily. I usually foul a plug every thirty miles or so on the trails. By the way, I run BR9EG's( my dad won't let me run hotter plugs) This is just a little problem that i dont't like. If you guys have any advice I'd like to hear it, but on to my question.

Which reed valve?

V-Force 3, Delta Force 2, boyseen 607.

I don't know all of them and am not an expert when it comes to bikes so please don't bag on me. I'd just like to know which one to get.

04cr_rider

Nov 16, 2005
I have the same bike and same problem. I tried a few things . . . run br8eg plugs; yes they are hotter, but my bike will foul 9's like crazy. I got my bike last year and spent 3 months trying to get it to run. You also want to clean your power (RC) valve. Mine was very carboned up from the rich running. I am running a 400 main jet, stock everything else. I will probably move the clip up to the 2nd position when I tear it down this winter. It runs great. I also have a pro circuit pipe and silencer, but stock reeds.
I am considering VF-3. Have you ever heard the saying, "opinions are like arm pits--everyone has a couple and they both stink?" Well, that is very true with your question about reeds, so here is my stinky two pesos worth. . . it seems like a lot of guys with our bike 03-05 (most 250 cc though) say the v-force really helped. The gain is minimal on other bikes, but going on their recommendations, it looks to be a good helper. It should also help your jetting as it cleans up the low end. The other option I though of is keeping stock cage but putting in Boyesen's Carbon fiber dual stage reeds (Pro Series, I think). Honda switched to more petals on the reeds for 2005 and they also were dual stage (stiff at bottom for high speed, easy on tips for low end). Just a few things I learned from months of frustration. Also Honda recommended 32:1 HP2 oil, but that was too rich for my area (humidity). I love Amsoil (if you can find it, run it by their specification = 50:1) Great Stuff! I also have had good luck with Motul 600 (800 is same but is not "no smoke" and it costs 1/3 more). Happy riding!

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
it wont hurt your bike to go one plug hotter,,, i'd mix your premix a little leaner,,, but do yourself the biggest favor and add two more teeth to your rear sprocket,, that will keep your rpm up in the woods and give it more torq..... you may can idle it a little higher,, or let your air screw out a little more... have you been keeping your air filter clean?

good luck..

sean
mississippi

AirtimeMosely

Dec 29, 2004
We just checked my airfilter, it was fine. We went on a 30 mile ride not to long ago. I rode like a monster for 28 miles and didn't foul a plug. :moon: The last two miles were strait down hill and I fouled two plugs. :( I think I'm going to go to stock jetting and run 8's. I will probably end up jetting the pilot leaner. My dad will not let me run any leaner than 32:1. He will not take any chances blowing up the engine but will pay for 5 million dollars in spark plugs. :rotfl:

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
if your plug is white after riding at full thorttle and quickly shuting down the engine and pulling the plug you NEED a bigger main jet or you might seize the engine .if the bike wants to foul you need to try raising the needle clip and or a smaller pilot because if you get a white plug after riding full thorttle its sure not your main i would put in the #8 plug (i ran one in mine and it fouled less and the bike never had any problems) but i would not put in the hotter plug until you put in a bigger main jet and get at least a light tan or darker color...........if your bike fouls most likely its not from the main its form the needle clip postion and a little form the pilot.

to get the correct size main jet ride the bike as you would normaly ride through the gears on a straight and start in first and go to at least forth gear if you can, and at the very same time pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch then coast to a stop with the clutch still pulled and pull the plug and check the color it should be tan, brown,even dark brown or light tan is good but NOT white if you bike fouls when trail riden its from the 9 plug needle clip postion and pilot jet NOT THE MAIN JET start with the main jet and work you way down main, needle clip, pilot, air screw and after changing the needle clip check the main again it might change a little

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
32: 1 is fine if the bike only wants to foul with the throttle closed sounds like the air screw needs to come out and pilot is to big but when trail riding unless wide open you ride the needle the most i would go back to stock put in the 8 and check the main jet and if the bike still wants to foul lean the needle one clip if it still wants to foul get a smaller pilot and adjust the air screw

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
AirtimeMosely said:
By the way, I run BR9EG's( my dad won't let me run hotter plugs) .

tell your dad you need the corect plug heat range for the type of riding you do......honda puts in a plug that is cold enough so if a expert rider rides the bike wide open (and i mean wide open ALL THE TIME) and the bike will run correctly and i bet you dont ride like a pro (i dont) so you dont need a pro's plug heat range just be sure that you jet the bike so the plug does not come out white after wide open riding (should be tan) and you will foul less with the 8, as a matter of fact tell your dad the 8 plug will help your bike to last longer (as long as you jet it corectly)with the 8 because you wont have to lean it out as much and richer is safer and better because the fuel carries the oil more fuel = more oil = longer engine life and cooler running

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom