Which should I buy, a 200 or a 220?

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I tried to find some comparison in the search option, but was unable to come up with anything. I know that the 220 has more torque, something very useful on the trail, but my question is if the additional cost is justified by what you get. I plan to keep this for mild trail riding, and completely stock, except for a skid plate. So far, I have not had much luck in NW connecticut locating anything used that seems like a good buy. A new leftover 2003 now goes for $400 below retail, so that is something to consider. Any suggestions would be very welcome. I weigh about 160, so I expect that the 200 would be sufficient, but I seem drawn to the 220. Help me come to some decision. Thanks for any words of advice.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/
This link will provide more info. In general, the 200 is more of a rev bike and the 220 more of a grunt bike. Besides displacement, porting is completely different, 220 has a smaller carb, o-ring chain, etc. I've seen many KDX's on eBay out on the east coast. I bought my last one off eBay from some executive bigwig who used it a total of 10 days over 2 trips. It was virtually brand new for $2100. The deals are out there, so start looking.

Good Luck with mild trail riding and keeping it stock. If you stick around here for long, and you ride the KDX, it will change you.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for your advice, Skipro. I was not aware of the O-ring with the 220. It seems to me that if I went with a 200 and wanted greater low end power later, then I could get a larger rear sprocket and get the same effect that I would have by buying a 220. Does this make sense? In bicycling, when you replace a chain you generally replace the sprocket as well. Does the same general rule apply to motorcycles also?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Changing the gearing will help low end torque but at the expense of top speed on fire roads and such. You will also be shifting much more often. If the gear reduction increases torque on the 200, imagine what a 220 would be like? first deside what type of riding you prefer, tight, technical woods or something a little more open where you can hit more than just 1/2 throttle like desert or fireroads. Stock, the KDX (both flavors) will top out at about 75mph. While I do get up to 70, most of my riding is tight single track ranging from technical to very technical and my speed averages 11 to 15 mph. Both bikes are capable of doing anything you want with lots of aftermarket parts to help you get it set up for your type of riding.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, I've got both. The 200 is noticeably faster, the 220 has noticeably more low end. The 200 has more clatter and is higher pitched. At your size there won't be tons of difference but for me, who is less than svelte, I like the 220.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Thanks, guys, for all of the helpful info----I think that the 220 is the way to go, and I have been looking in the local connecticut area, so far with little success. The bikes I have seen on ebay are a long distance away, and I hate to buy a pig in a poke. Local dealers not only charge a $200 dealer prep fee, but also a $95 conveyance fee! Is this a fact of life in your area also? I figured that at the end of the season I could get a good reduction on a new bike, but these dealers do not want to give much on price. If you bought new, what kind of deal did you get, and did you buy at the end of season?

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Here's a comparison for you, at http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html Good luck, I can't comment on the 200 but I like my 220.

Top Bottom