Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2004
Just got back from the bike shop and can't believe they want $9.00 for a litre of Yamaha 4 stroke 10-30 oil, the type I've using on my RM250. They said: "oh, the price of oil went up".

Yeah, right. 50% increase since 3 months ago.

So I go to a car parts store and ask around. Was told that Castrol 4 stroke motorcycle oil to be ok to use. What do you think? This oil apparently has no additives, which is what I think Yamalube is (Yamalube says 'non-friction modified')

Anyone knows if this ok to use on a 2 stroke 250 machine for the transmission? I was running Yamalube 10-30 and the Castrol only comes in 10-40 or 20-50. I'm in Canada where it doesn't always get very hot, in fact comes fall, I'll be biking around the freezing mark. So which oil weight should I go with, should Castrol be ok to run on my bike?
Thanks

PS: if Castrol isn't the best alternative what would be? I rather buy the stuff in galons, insteda of litres, if possible.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
look in your manual they tell you in thier that you may use regular motor oil if you cant get thier oil.

Mar 18, 2004
Btw the proper name of the oil in question is:
Castrol Grand Prix 4 Stroke motorcycle oil. And yeah, it costs less than half the Yamaha

marc_w

Apr 2, 2004
If I use motor oil, I just make sure that it's not anything that says "energy conserving". Those are the oils that have been friction modified, and those oils may be too slippery for some wet clutches.

It's just a habbit I picked up off of my street bike. Not sure if it's as much as an issue with dirty bikes.

For the most part though, I use the cheapest brand-name dino oil around, and change it every ride/race. Usually Castrol or Penzoil or something.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There are a few hundred "What oil should I use" threads running on DRN. A simple SEARCH will point you to the buulk of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom