Which type of oil for the tranny on KDX220

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
In SE Louisiana, its hot, very hot. Many folks here run an 80-85 weight gear oil in the trans, although the manual specifies 10w** choices depending upon temperature. Any experiences out there as to use of gear oil vs motorcycle multi-viscosity transmission oils? XRDad

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
CM: are you using an automotive oil or motorcycle grade? If automotive, any problems with clutch sticking, as in, engine not running, but hard to push bike when in gear and clutch disengaged?

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I use the Bel Ray 80 wt atf with out any problems. It is a good idea to change often, I go about 6-8 gallons between changes.

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
CM: in Louisiana we are fortunate to be able to ride in just about every national forest in the state. Additionally, in Mississippi, there are several riding areas in national forests just above biloxi and if you go to Centerville, MS, you can ride at the Flying W trails (operated by Kevin Windham of motocross fame) for a small daily fee, or you can by a season pass. Get on the internet and search ATV riding in National forests in LA and MS, you should find plenty of info. XRDad

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
not that we can compare weather here in upstate ny with where u live but....very hot this summer.i rode a couple days 95 deg with ungodly humidity(i had to stop one ride and sit under a tree to recover).i use quaker state atf type f ,i saw no ill effects from the hot using atf ?i change mine every 2-3 rides

munich

Jul 29, 2002
I use Red Line Light Weight Shock Proof gear oil. Red Line claims viscosity of 30wt and protection of 75w140. i've used it for 2 rides, shifting is goog and clutch operates good. I bought a case of it and plan on changing it when ever I start to see discoloration (it's blue in color).
I'll post if it ever creates a problem, but so far so good.

FOG

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
Interesting stuff; as I understand it, some people are using gear oil, some motor oil, and some ATF fluid?...are we talking ATF fluid as used in automatic automotive transmissions?...and this is not a problem? XRDad

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Yes, atf automotive brand. Most will recommend type f, but that gave me very notchy shifting and was hard to find neutral. I use dexron III and have had no problems with either of my KDX's and the shifting is smooth. I was talking with a repair shop mechanic about a year ago who told me the only oil related tranny failures he had seen in his days were due to low or no oil, or never changing it. He told me to change it often and don't worry. I change every 2 - 3 rides. :thumb:
Lew

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom