little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I have a 2002 KTM 300EXC. I have Pro-Taper bars on it with the pro taper mounting kit. Was thinking about changing whole upper triple clamp. So far, I have looked the upper Pro-Taper triple clamp with the adjustable handlbar clamps, and the Factory Connection upper triple clamp with the rubber mounted handle bar clamps. All my riding is done in the woods for right now. The Pro-Taper's looked pretty beefy but I also liked the rubber mounted handlebar clamps on the Factory Connection clamp. ANy thoughts from any one. Thanks in advance Jeff

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Little Dude,
I would check into replacing those clamps ASAP! There was an advisory message on here not to loong ago about KTM's clamps failing. I think it was for the 02-03 models. Quality costs but go with it! ;) Check KTM's website or do a search either here or in General Discussions and you'll find the thread I was talking about it was only in the last couple of weeks. :thumb:

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I think it was only the 2003 models. I will be checking into it right away though just to make sure. Was it the top or bottom clamp?
Little Jeff

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
For all the latest info, check out KTMtalk.com

It was only the 03 models that were affected. Their is also a VIN locator on the site to see if your clamps are on the recall list

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever plan to use a Scotts steering damper, they don't recommend rubber mounted handlebar clamps - the flex can cause problems. Another thing to look for is the clamps that have pinch bolts that enter from the side or front of the clamps (most of them do). The ones that have the stock-style pinch bolts won't allow you to use the triple clamp hand guard brackets. The SRC (Summers Racing) handguard brackets were just about the best $50 I ever spent on my bike.

A hot topic these days is whether to go with 18mm offset, which is supposed to make the bike turn better. If I still rode the extremely tight woods of Illinois and Indiana, I'd think pretty hard about 18mm offset, but most of my riding is the GNCC-style courses of Missouri. With my Scotts damper, I can run the forks pretty high in the triple clamps and not worry too much about extra head shake or an unstable feel. Going with 18mm offset means you have to get the upper AND lower triple clamps as a set.

I'll also be replacing the upper clamp on my '02 MXC and am looking pretty hard at the eRider upper clamp because it comes with the handlebar mounting bracket that's set up to receive the Scotts damper, and it has the SRC-style handguard brackets that mount to the triple clamps. A bit pricey, but I've found that almost all of the aftermarket clamps are now made with side-entry pinch bolts, which means I can't use my SRC brackets from my '99 (has Applied clamps with front-entry pinch bolts).

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
If you are riding the open fast courses, you might consider the 22mm offset clamps. They are popular with the desert rats and rid the bike of the high speed headshake almost elimintaing the need for the dampner to be cranked down. I know Emig Racing is selling 16-22 offset clamps and KTMtalk members get 10% off discount.

Hootna

Mar 14, 2002
I got the TAG kit with the upper / lower + bar mounts + steering stem + Lower Bearing with the 18mm offset, just slip it on an tighten her up, way trick!!. I think it was like $370 cant beat it but I do personally like the EMIG RACING clamps but man by the time you get out the door with the full set up it is around $500. Thats if you want the same set up as the TAGs above....

Kizmen

Aug 9, 2001
Thanks for the compliment.
Little correction: The same kit you described above is $435.00 in silver or orange (or other color of your choice) at Emig Racing.

dkmccarty5

Aug 30, 2000
erider Sep special: Triple clamp set - top & bottom - black "hardcoat" finish. Your choice 18mm or 20mm off-set - $299.95 pair. Note: Stem/bearing not included.

Top Bottom