Which Way To Go For Xr 50 Suspension?

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Santa (wife) was good to me and left a 2004 CRF 50 under the tree. In my stocking I got a BBR pipe, rev box, and IMS pegs.

The big fix that I need to do is get the suspension dialed in. On the rear I think I will get the I-shock. It runs about $200.

The front is where the questions come in. I figured three different ways to go........

1. Cheapest option is drop new springs in the stock forks, at about $50.

2. Sano sells the 1 inch longer and stronger fork sliders plus the springs for about $200.

3. Then there is the bling bling option which is the BBR fork kit. It is about $550, includes the handlebar kit ($200 value) and compete forks and clamps modeled after the XR 70.

I am not going to be doing triples or backflips or anything, just chasing folks around on pee wee tracks, maybe a race or two.

Anybody have any opinions on these options. I would like to go as budget as possible, but then on the other hand I don't want to go with one option and then find out I need to get a better option later anyway.

Thanks,

Walt

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
There is no such thing as an XR50 budget. If you're even thinking about changing front springs, fork legs, and bars, just go ahead and drop the extra $100 for the BBR kit. I really wish I had gone that route.

You can make up the extra $100 by looking for a Paoli rear shock on Ebay. I paid $105 delivered for my new Paoli, and it worked very well. After riding bikes with both shocks, I couldn't tell a difference between the Paoli and the Works shocks. The Paoli is adjustable, and you don't have to bend your frame mount to make it fit. I've heard some complaints about the I Shock, too.

The Paoli jacks the rear of the 50 up by two or three inches, and the BBR forks work perfectly with the rear setup that way.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Julious,

Thanks for the reply. I was doing the math and the BBR kit seemed like the way to go in the long run. I need a handlebar kit anyway so the BBR kit is perfect. I can order on line for $569 with free shipping and no tax which like you said when you add it all up is a bargain.

Thanks,

Walt

super125

Jan 1, 2004
I am also very satisfied with my rear Paoli shock, I got it off ebay also for $75 I think. I don't see any reason why you need to dump over $200 to a part that is in compatition with the $75 part.

Those BBR forks look awsome though, I'd definetly get those if I had the money.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom