Which would be more appropriate for the terrain?

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
I've been looking around, and from what I've found in the Wisconsin trails and tracks, there seem to be a lot more MX tracks than public lands open to the public.

First, if anybody can confirm or deny the abundance of good trails in the Midwest (WI specifically, but MN, IL, and U.P. MI as well) let me know.

But getting to the point, does anybody know what kind of two-stroke would be better for the Wisconsin terrain? Considering the 250 MX option (CR250, YZ, SX, etc.) or the KTM 300 MXC or EXC. Thought the MXC might be the best 50/50 option, but if there are primarily MX courses, should I stick would the pure MX be the best option for the two-stroke varieties, or would an EXC or KDX gearing be better?

-Cheers

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I had the chance to put some seat time in at the track on an all stock (engine wise) '04 KTM 300 EXC. IMHO no worries on the motor/trans/gearing, the bike was excellent in these respects. You could short shift it or rev it out, it handled both very well and was easy to ride and the bike pulled cleanly from the basement all the way to the top. This particular bike had the suspension set up more for woods-type riding and was a little soft over the larger jumps even for my 160lb frame (I wasn't about to play with someone else's suspension set-up either). The bike was a blast to ride though, super smooth and responsive with enough grunt to get you where you wanted to be. I would say that this bike should definately be one to consider for what you plan on using it for.

Attachments

• faded_KTM-small.jpg
    faded_KTM-small.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom