Which year YZ250 - '05, '06, or '07?

yamalast

Jan 25, 2001
I'm looking at getting back into dirt bikes after 6 years off, my last ride was a 2000 YZ250. It'll be used for riding in Florida, at Croom, on sandy trails, and occasional hare scrambles or enduros (MAYBE). There are lots of tree roots where I ride too. :yikes: I ride fairly aggresively in the deep sandy whoops, and one of my top priorities is a stable, forgiving bike that still kicks booty. :boss:

I can pick up a nice used '05 for maybe 3,000, an '06 for ????, or a new, leftover '07 from a dealer. Since the motor & frame are the same, are the new forks/shocks THAT much better, or would I be money ahead getting a nice '05, having the suspension serviced/revalved, & freshening eveything up? :think:

TIA. :cool:

yamalast

Jan 25, 2001
They changed the forks ~some~ in 2007:

"Modifying thickness of both inner and outer fork tubes and revising damping settings provides fantastic bump absorption and comfort while shaving weight"

All the other changes were for weight reduction, jetting, & Pro-Tapers.

Were the 2007 fork (& minor shock revalving) worth much?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Many people have expressed that the '06 forks (which are COMPLETELY different,) are much better. You'll have to make your own decision, though, won't you?

Jan 3, 2007
yamalast, the revalving part you will have to do to the bike later on when you get aggresive because it handles so much better when the bike is set for your weight, so the valving is not that much.

Top Bottom