While I have the right side cover off......

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
I'm replacing the waterpump shaft seal, since I have the cover off, is there anything else I should replace? I'm already going to get a new shaft bearing since I have to remove it anyway.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well it’s always a good idea to check the clutch plate thickness. Strangely the basket will bottom out before the plates reach min thickness. Take the plates out & measure the distance between the 2 splined parts the plates live in & then measure the plates stacked together to see that you still have some life left.

Also check the basket hasn’t got too many deep grooves in the fingers that hold the plates. They can be filed out if not too bad. How bad is too bad? That depends how badly you don’t want to buy a new basket.

PS check the manwell or ask if you aren’t sure how to take the plates out. (people just love to break those fingers & spring posts).

Best check that governor shaft that give so many grief is still connected top to bottom.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Wht, check the pump shaft to make sure it's not worn or grooved. Replace it if it is, otherwise the new seal won't last very long.

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
Thanks guys. I ended up putting it back together when my buddy stopped by and had the bearing I was going to purchase. The water pump shaft looked fine and so did everything else that I inspected. :cool:

Top Bottom