Whinning noise when its close to overheating

RidinColorado

Aug 19, 2004
Hi, I have an 03 220, with about 200 miles on it. Ive had a ton of trouble keeping it cool.. My local trails are very steep, with many loose rocks.. I would say on average when climbing, I'm going up 500-800 feet in elevation per mile. So I'm really working the bike. 1st and 2nd gear is about all that is possible.

When I was running standard antifreeze, I would get a loud whinning noise just before it would boil over. So I have gotten used to pulling off the trail and taking a break when the loud whinning starts. After it cools, it no longer makes the noise..

I recently ordered a gallon of Evans NPG... This stuff does seem to work... But when the bike gets hot the whinning noise begins like it used to.. So I pull off and let it cool, and it goes away. I no longer have a boil over problem now though.

My ideas are maybe the piston, or maybe a bearing, or clutch, The noise sounds low, like around the water pump. It still seems to run and idle good when making this noise. The noise does change with rpms, It doesnt get any louder, Just makes a faster whinning noise with higher rpms.

I'm running Golden Spectro 80 w in the trans, at the recommended level. I just picked up some Amsoil 20w50 Motorcycle oil and figured Ill use the whole quart when I change it, hoping this helps.. I'm also running Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil, with a 45 to 1 ratio.. My riding elevation is 6000-10000 feet.

Do any of you guys have a possble cause for this? Has anyone seen this with there bike? It sounds like a gear drive timing set up on a small block chevy racing engine when it does this.

Thanks for any input you have!
Carey

Last edited:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Mix your premix 32/1 and see if that doesn't fix it. That's what I've always run. A friend of mine just recently convinced me to try 50/1 and mine overheated in the tight nasty hills for the first time ever. I'm going back to about 40/1 and see if that doesn't help, Although, I've never had any problems at 32/1 except for a little smoke.

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Engine Noise

First of all, why are you running 80w in your case? The oil specified by the manufacturer is 10w-30. I use Castrol, the cheap stuff since I change it every few rides. The other thing you need to do is over fill your case by at least 100ml more than what is specified by the manufacturer because there is a bearing in the case that doesn,t get completely submerged in the trany oil at the recommended oil level. I used to get the noise all the time. I found this trick on Fredette's site a few years ago. I've never had that noise return after following this proceedure.

Eric

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
That noise is more than likely the impeller and components swelling due to heat causing the noise you hear. Kinda like when a waterpump goes out on your car. If it ever gets this hot... chances are you will have to replace parts.

RidinColorado

Aug 19, 2004
Cool, thanks! I'll try going back to 32/1. Golden Spectro specs there oil for 10w30, 10w40 or 80w use. Although it is an 80w oil. The kaw dealer sold it to me. Said its all he uses.

I'll pull the water pump and check it out, thanks rethnal.

Again Thanks!
Carey

Top Bottom