zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
The jumps on our track are getting bigger. I'm pretty comfortable in the air, and I want to learn to whip (gots to look cool for my fans). I've tried small ones... pushing the back side of the bike left with my right leg, but I don't get far. Is that all I'm supposed to do? We look pretty silly right now. Any special technique? It just doesn't seem to want to go. Maybe rear wheel centrifigul force makes whipping to one side easier?

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
You're on the right path, Zio. All I can say is that it takes a very long time to build up to a good whip. Taking baby steps like you are is the safest way to go about it.

Pushing with your leg like you are doing is a good way to initiate a whip. You can also turn the front wheel a little to make it kick out more. The gyroscopic effect of the wheels is your friend, so the bigger and faster you go the easier whips get. Basically, the principle of whipping is alot like when you were a kid playing with a toy top. When the top is spinning you can knock it off of its axis, but it always wants to return to an upright position. Your bike will do the same, but only if the wheels are spinning pretty quickly.

You can also experiment with the basics of whipping while your bike is sitting on its stand. Just put your weight on one peg, turn the bars, and lean the bike while levering the handle bars. Try to stay balanced over the top of the bike without falling off the stand.

Top Bottom