White Bros. Exhaust noise Question

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Have a 99 WR400 with White Brothers E-series Exhaust, got check today by the ranger. Bike produces 105db, limit 96db. I have ten disc's including the closed end. Will removing disc's quiet it up? and how many? I just bought this bike, I know its has the YZ mods, cam timing, jetting, wire mod etc.. any idea's? Thanks

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Yes, removing discs will definetly quiet it up. If I were you, I'd go to Radio Shack and buy a $15 decibal reader and check your db's while you take discs off. By the way, how much discs does the muffler come with stock?

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Originally posted by kdxsam
Yes, removing discs will definetly quiet it up. If I were you, I'd go to Radio Shack and buy a $15 decibal reader and check your db's while you take discs off. By the way, how much discs does the muffler come with stock?
I have no idea, the person I bought the bike from just installed the exhaust. The minimum is 4 and 15 is the starting point..Thanks

BBD

Apr 10, 2002
Taking discs out will lower the noise output and will also increase bottom end somewhat and may reduce top end also. You may be able to tell the differance or not. This will also make the engine run a little warmer.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Take some discs out, in your riding situation you will probably benefit from it anyways. My friends YZ400 (mod'd to 420+) had a E-Series on it, I'm not sure how many discs he was running but he was running the closed end-cap S/A and it was way too loud for me.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I bought my 01 XR400 with a fancy new white bros e-series on it. The dealer installed it with the full 12 discs and jetted for that at the previous owner's request. Sure looked nice and sounded nice when I test ran it.

One decent length ride with 12 discs made my head hurt. I couldn't hear my tire hit puddles. I seriously thought about ear plugs. I started noticing people staring as I idled through the parking lot. Not a happy stare, more of a glare.

I thought... adjustable, cool. So I pulled all but the minimum allowed 4 discs. It sounded a little fartier but still hurt my head. Still so loud I was embarrassed to start it up at the trailhead and ashamed to pollute the woods with the noise.

After fiddling with jetting for a while to get things to run right with 4 discs I made the decision to return it to stock. Luckily the previous owner kept the stock muffler. I replaced the stock system in 5 minutes and then jetted the carb to stock specs. I even cleaned the air filter and replaced the intake snorkel. I wanted to enjoy the bike in the way that Honda intended.

Now I can sneak up on campers and impress the event coordinators with my 86 decibel XR. The bike has much better bottom end torque that stays strong until I am afraid to rev it. Sure the WB pipe made a little more top end but at what cost?

Anyone want to buy a slightly used WB e-series muffler? Preferably out of state? Maybe out of the country? Shame on you White Brothers.

Top Bottom