jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Anyone going? I never did this race, but the weather is suppose to be good and I feel like riding.

Is it real rocky down there or is it decent dirt?

Does anyone know about gas stops, or anything else that might be different than other dist 17 Enduros?

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Hey Jeff, you know I'll be there. No rocks at White City, all good old dirt. One of the last true enduros in the Midwest. That just means it's technical, tight and long. Been told it will be around 95 miles long. Gas stop is normally out on the course but they have had it back at the pits before too. Check my website as I should have an update late tomorrow or friday with some more details.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Thanks Ryan, my plans for the rest of the events this year got messed up, family things. I wont be able to make your event so I will hit this one. Later.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
AND to top it off it rained this week!You owe it to yourself to ride this one,just keep a open mind/eye out for arrows.I heard that the landowners arrow there own trail-so sometimes they can be few and far between.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
White city illinois state championship enduro

Man that was some killer trail in ideal conditions,too bad the arrows were not pointed were we supossed to go OR there at all sometimes for that matter.For as much fun as white city is for me,I would not want to be a C class rider doing his first enduro there!

enduro rider

Oct 27, 2003
i have helped with this enduro for over 35 year, and think it's some of the best riding you will find. As for as being hard? yes. is it not rideable? no. only 85 riders started and 60 finish. that sounds pretty good to me for a 75 mile woods enduro.
c rider frendly? will every thing was ride able. there was a lot of logs. but we had long reset at the end of the sections. the reason for the c class, is to give rider a chance to experience an enduro with out being competitive. c riders should of learned alot. they had hills, logs, creek beds, sand, single track, and the tunnel. that was bad but every one but 2 rider made it thru. i have been to enduro that a small mud hole would claim more than that. as far as arrrow. i was the first rider riding mileage and had no trouble following them.
i guest i just dont understand why people have to say negative things about the enduro every year.
after all the hard work that we do. name some other club that year after year will put on a event with only 60 to 90 riders. ok i'm off my soap box now.
thanks to all that support this enduro.
one last thing if you ride enduros, but don't help put one on you don't really support enduros.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I really enjoyed it - first time in 5 tries that I've actually finished. You just can't find that much good singletrack anywhere else in Illinois and the club is 5 miles off the interstate, easy drive from just about anywhere. Part of what makes it good is that so much of it only gets ridden once a year - for this race. I think there's a disconnect between inadequate arrowing and virgin trails. It really doesn't matter how many arrows are there when the trail's not yet established - when you're linking up the arrows with your own path, you'll always think there weren't enough of them.

That tunnel under I-55 was surreal...all I could see was the light at the end, a dim reflection of water waves and 5 guys at the end laughing when I got stuck. :ugg: They weren't about to come in there and I wouldn't have either!

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
enduro rider, I was on minute 11. There was probably only about 3-5 riders ahead of me. The trail was definitely NOT burned in as they say. I was really having fun until the section the A riders had to do twice. The first time thru I was really getting turned around, there was some arrowing I found odd. I saw a lot of arrows pointing down when there was no down hill, and it seemed like if I followed the arrows I would end up turning way too late for the turn and have to curve back to get on the trail. I tell you I was really bummed at the end of that section only to find I had to do it again. 2nd time was a blast. nicely burned in trail, but as I was riding it I noticed how weird some of the arrows were. I do not like to get off the trail, I am there to ride, and finish knowing I did not cheat, so I do my best to follow arrows.

In the sections that had alot of criss crossing trail, by the club, I guess the only thing to keep people from blowing down the wrong trail is more ribbon but that is ALOT of work. There was section towards the end where the arrows just stopped. I went back to the last arrow I saw and completely stopped and could not see a single arrow. I scanned from side to side several times and could not see anything. There was about 4 of us searching there for several minutes until we found the trail. Dont know what happened there but I doubt it was just a bad arrow job, I think someone came in there and pulled them down. There is no way you would have missed that.

I was having a bad day to start. As I turned on my Watchdog to program it I found that I had cracked the display and couldnot read most of the info. Not the outside but the actual layer that has the 7 segment display. I was going to resort to my watch and trip but then noticed that on the route sheet there was no times beside the distances. That is the first time I ever ran across this. I didnt know how to figure it out so I was pretty screwed. Guess who had the only computer on minute 11. Thanks to my buddy Katoomer who didnt want to ride with me I rode this one blind.

After all the problems I had, I was really not happy with the event, but then I realized most of it was only my fault and I will have my computer fixed and learn how to figure in the times if they arent givin to you before the next race.

Great race, awesome trail, nice pit area, easy access, club members seemed cool, and a great time of year I will definitely redeem myself next year.

Does anybody know how I did? I left immediatly 3 hour drive and have to get up Mondays at 4 am.
later jeff

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I loved the event! I always say it's the last true enduro in IL. All that single track, logs, and hills just makes it a real enduro in my eyes. The tunnell, I can do without, but I did make it through, and was really glad they didn't put us through it again. Still can't figure out why more riders don't run this event??

I thought the arrowing was better then previous years. Yes, there were a couple spots where it seemed to point you in the wrong direction or the turn arrow was after the corner but not to bad. The thing with this event is that the trail only gets ridden once a year and if your on a early minute it's hard to follow even if there were arrows every 5 feet. The section that there were no arrows in, someone tore them down, and the club has an idea on who it was. Nothing the club could do about that, I've had that happen at my clubs event and it's not fun for the riders or the club.

Jeff, not sure where you finished, should have results by the end of the week and will try to get them posted up.

enduro rider

Oct 27, 2003
jeff take the wacthdog off. use a watch to learn to keep time first. then use the watch dog. keeping time is what make you a good enduro rider. as for as ribbons on the club grounds. i ribbon every turn twice last week. monday,and saturday. we do the best we can. what use to be an enduro club when i was a kid. with many enduro riders helping. now is a rideing club. with most not knowing what it takes to put on a enduro. at this time. theres one working member that ride enduros

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
enduro rider said:
what use to be an enduro club when i was a kid. with many enduro riders helping. now is a rideing club. with most not knowing what it takes to put on a enduro. at this time. theres one working member that ride enduros

I know that feeling. I think we have two members who ride enduros on a regular basis. :bang:

jeffh

Jun 2, 2002
jsned, Glad you had a good time. I may not have written the book on putting on enduros but I know how someone likes to be treated at an event. It's nice to hear someone notices things other than the race itself. Alot of the club members put in plenty of time over the course of the year. Hope to see you again. I have helped with several national events in Missouri over the years and do ride a few enduros also.

Katoomer aka Chicago Boy, One never knows were you will show up. Team race in November?

jtodd988

Oct 25, 2007
me being enduro riders nephew i also have helped with this event many years now.. and being only 19 i find it somtimes amazing how i know more about the sport than some of the riders do.. for instance some of you are not sure on what BURNING a check is...i had a few riders B or C probably complain afterwards about me burining them at one of my checks...well that is because the guy came past the flags out on the road and sat there and checked his milege wile on the road...you cannot pass the check and stop..you are burnt...also anytime your bike loses momentum u burn it if ur early...just wanted to clarify that...also i too get tired of hearing people whine about how poorly arrowed the trails were...well hears what i say to that SHUT THE HECK UP!..like bryan said if uve never worked one you dont know what goes into it...bryan and brian do the best they can every year and no matter wut someone whines and complains..it was very windy plus somone was tearing down arrows thats why some people got lost...and also because some dont follow arrows they follow the bikes infront of them...anyways enuff whining from me ...and i also want to thank you all who came out and hopefully u all plus more come back next year.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
whoa,sometimes its way too easy to be taken wrong on these forums.White city is my favorite illinois enduro,every year it kicks my a$$ in one way or the other and thats what I like about enduro's.I was stoked to see the state championship there this year and knew it would be a good one (which it was-always is)and have been riding/racing just about every weekend since before labor day to prepare for it because white city is always a long course.I brought up the arrow thing as constructive critisism,I have trouble and I hear from others that have trouble following your arrows.I thought if this was mentioned maybe in the future the arrowing would improve and more riders would attend your event therefore insuring me a place to get my a$$ kicked at in the future.I stayed till all trophies were handed out and while leaving came across a guy on a yamaha who was just getting in.I dont know what class he rode and I mean no disrespect but a buddy and I looked at eachother and said "man it would have sucked to be a C rider today".Sorry if I came across as negative,every year I try to get my old riding buddies who taught me how to ride "technical" trail go to the white city enduro only to have them decline.

jtodd988

Oct 25, 2007
no dude its cool...its just that u can never make people happy...and that was probably one of the stupid club members that decided to just ride and do nothing instead of actually help work the event..speaking of helping...did bryan ( enduro rider) have to help any of you out of the tunnel under I55...it was so funny some kid was like "theres this old man with a beard and a plad shirt helpin people outa the tunnel and now hes layin on the bank, i think he is havin a heart attack"..hahaha i was like no its fine he is just old and outa breathe..its funny...anyway just wonderin who all had truble under 55...oh and sum guy was gonna buy him a twelve pack afterwards and he doesnt even drink!..haha

jeffh

Jun 2, 2002
Come to the next club meeting and start calling club members names and see how many do anything for the enduro next year. Jeez, how about some thanks to the guys who keep up the grounds, work sign up, pick up garbage, build creek crossings, put up fliers at shops & buinesses, work checks. I was at the entrance to the tunnel last year and I pulled a few cats out of the muck while standing in that typhoid infested water. Nobody was there to see it but the guys I helped said thanks. Good enough for me. Why call out someone on a forum that they probably won't see. Go to a meeting and pull him aside and you can speak to them in person.

enduro rider

Oct 27, 2003
jeffh that was a 19year old that knows every thing that made that remark you cant take that to seriously
any one that help and didnt hear one of us thank you. thanks again
it takes a lot of help the day of the enduro and this year the club members did a great job thanks

jtodd988

Oct 25, 2007
hahaha i was thanking those that helped..im just sayin there are afew that just decide to ride instead of work...sorry for the confusion..and no 19 yr olds dont know it all...hahaha tahts why im in college

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Enduros hard to put on, no way. In fact there so easy I'm arrowing my second one this weekend!

In all seriousness the club did a good job and I hope Bryan and Brian can relay my thanks to everyone that helped at the next meeting.

And yes I made it through the tunnnel but I think I was the last one to make it with no help!

jeffh

Jun 2, 2002
I'm ready to work next years event. I hope you guys saw the article on the 10th annual Big Red Enduro from the Nov. 1974 issue of Midwest Cyclist that I stuck on the wall at the CCDR clubhouse. I'm sure you knew some of the riders if not most.

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i definitely love your enduro too and hope you never quit putting it on. It is in my 'A' list of 'can't miss' enduros that i run every year.

i can't believe how small the turnout is though, people don't know what they're missing!

Top Bottom