Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
Does anbody have information on the White City Enduro on Oct 19?
I've searched the web for Cahokia Creek Dirt Riders but came up with nothing. Does the CCDR have a web page?

Mark

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Sorry, I can't help you much other than I rode it last year. I can't remember exactly how to get there, other than it is just a couple miles west of White City and right off of the highway. I thought it was a blast!! It was the first enduro that I ever rode and I just went to have a good time. There was only about 65 riders last year because of the reputation of the White City races. I know that none of the "C" riders completed the race. Some guys don't like White City because they have some pretty steep hills. Last year the trails were in great shape and all of the hills were climbable. If I remember correctly the race consisted of close to 100 ground miles. A lot of the trail was virgin territory, which adds up to a lot log crossings and some pretty tight trail. I'm planning on going again this year if the weather holds out. So far I've been to a total of three enduros and White City is my favorite upto this point.

I also raced a three hour harescramble there a few years ago that just about killed me, but that's another story.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Check out some of my race reports:

A couple things to keep in mind as you read the reports, as I don't want to discourage anyone from attending. Last year's turnout was a crying shame, considering how awesome the trails were. When it's wet, it can be a nasty place. When it's moderately dry, I can't think of a better place to ride. Even though the ground miles are around 100, there is a lot of road transfer sections. The actual woods riding is maybe 60-70 miles, which sounds like a lot but there's plenty of places to sit back and relax, or make up some time if you're late. Last year's setup was a definite improvement, as the gas stops were at the club grounds (very easy to get to...exit 44 on I-55, couple miles west, club is right next to the highway) instead of out on a road somewhere. The club grounds usually start and end the race, and they are well traveled. Once you leave the club grounds, you'll be on trails that look like they only get ridden once a year for the enduro. Arrows can be challenging to follow, as the trails are not well defined.

I'm 0-4, twice because of the mud, once due to injury, and another time because of bike problems. Unfortunately, I will miss the enduro this year but plan to do the hare scramble the following Sunday. I'd highly encourage anyone to attend the enduro. I call it an old-school enduro, in that it's designed to be long and pretty tough for the average guy to finish.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I wish this enduro would loose it's bad reputation as a hard event. This is one of the best enduros in the Midwest. Yes, if it rains it can be very hard, mainly due to the hills and clay soil, but anytime it rains most enduros are hard.

The club has put alot of work into this event the past couple of years trying to get rid of the "to hard for beginner" reputation and I think they are doing a good job. Last year they ran it at an 18mph average for the whole race and gave decent resets after each section. Plus like Katoomer said the gas stops were at the start area. Last year Jeff Fredette won it with 17 points dropped. Not to bad for 100 miles of riding. I think most B's were in the 30's or 40's. I think the hardest part for the B's and C's is riding all the virgin like trail and the distance. Most events in this area are only 65 miles total with about 30-40 being woods. I thought last year they had some C's riders that finished, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'll be there and I hope they get a good turnout this year. I'll contact the guy that normally puts it on and see if I can post his number so people can get more info if needed.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I agree with FlyinRyan that it's a shame that they have such a bad rep. I thoroughly enjoyed the race, especially the virgin trail.

As far as "C" riders go, I know none of them finished because I won the "C" class. I only made it about 65 miles before houring out. I found the one place on the course that you could get stuck and I managed to do it. I was zeroed out when I went into the section and I was just a couple minutes shy of houring out by the time I got out, but I kept plugging away until I finally houred out. The only reason I won the class was because I went further than the other "C" riders. I was a happy camper since I was just out for a trail ride. I few months before that I gave up on racing do to a reoccuring injury so I couldn't have asked for more. I guess I found a new sport that I can compete in without feeling pressure to ride over my head.

Bish

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I thought is was an awesome ride two years ago. That is before I had a 50mph collision with a deer :) Put a damper on my day. The guys in the club still call me the deer hunter.

Definitely tough if it rains but my feeling is the longer the mileage the better! I'll be there even if it rains.

Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
Looks like we're going to have perfect weather for this Enduro. The forcast is for partly sunny skies in the low 70's. Hasn't rained in days. I hope they have a good turnout. Looking forward to Sunday.

Mark

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I heard the club got about 80 ground miles for the enduro. I think a little shorter than last year but still should be good. Sounds like it should be good with hardly any rain, I think they got some the other night.

See everyone there.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Every year we go through a culvert that passes underneath a road, that has proven to be quite interesting when it's nasty. Maybe one of the club members could point you to where it's at. If the course is relatively dry, it might not be as interesting to watch, but easy to get to (if you can find it).

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
It was tougher than usual or so I hear. I've never been there during a mudfest, but the trail was very challenging. I think I went over every log they have at least twice. O.K., maybe it just felt like it. Overall the trail was in great condition, but there was plenty of places to get barried if you picked the wrong line. I talked to one of the race officials afterwards and he told me that 80 people started and 30 people never made it passed the second check.

Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
I bailed out at the gas stop after houring out. I ended up getting stuck exiting one of the many creek crossings at around 20 miles. I used up alot of energy getting out. Most of the other crossings were easy. The 2 culverts looked nasty. I ended up going over the road on those. I heard 5 people were stuck in a culvert at one time. Most of the trails were awesome. Some sections had quite a few large logs. Most trails were marked well. It was much warmer than I expected. Definately not an easy enduro.

Mark

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I finished but that was about it. I had (still have) a bad sinus cold and I was dead tired around 50 miles. I never got stuck but did launch the bike up a couple creek banks. I think everyone was skipping going through the culverts except for the last one they had, you had to go through it, and it was deep, lucky there were plenty of club members to help you.

I thought the trails were great, more of an old style enduro, tight woods and lost of them. It was a good thing the B & C's didn't have the ride that section twice, some of the holes were even deeper the second time.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
good thing my buddy and i got an early number (11)! i think we got lucky on the creek crossings and culverts.where was the trail split?must have missed it.had to get on the road so dont know how i finished in 250b.having trouble reaching club for results.who won overall?good race ,awesome trails.loved the hills and tight stuff.tough,long,challenging,isnt that what an enduro should be?pretty good job by club but thought course could have been marked with more arrows hard to follow on 11.

enduro rider

Oct 27, 2003
I have been involved with this enduro for over 30 years. Yes it is hard, but this is the way all enduro use to be. The difference is, we are one of the few clubs that hasn’t lost all their wood sections. We try to make it fun for all. Let me tell you some of the reason why we do some of the thing we do. First the club grounds, the trails are a challenge wet or dry but they never been unrideable. I ride them before every enduro if anything was not rideable. I would change it or arrow around it. We lower the speed average and give a reset plus a 7-mile road section after it. Second the wood section south east of White City. This section use to be 6 miles, in the last few years we have been able to double this, yes there some holes but that happens with new woods. It well only get better, the section is only rode for this event so it will always be tight. A 3.2 section followed that. This is one of the fun’s wood sections you will ride but does have some sticker bushes. The sections north of White City one is an 8-mile section used only for this event. This is problem the hardest, it has some very large hills lots of fun. The other one is about 7 miles. This is the one you cross under the interstate and cross the hard road 3 times. This section is arrow off a 4 wheeler, most of it s very fast. The tunnel was deep with mud this year because they built a pond down stream and it silted in, but I was there to help ever one out. It was not impassable. Then back in to the club we had a new way in this year. This 7 miles was the most fun I have had in years, 3rd –4th gear. Why we don’t have a gas at the club? We have problems with the mayor of White City, and are limited on how we get in and out of the club. Last year we thought we had it, but the landowner changed his mine 3 times Sunday morning. So we can’t rely on that one. The mayor won’t let us in city limits. The gas we put out on country road is easy to get to and you usually come back to the same one for the second gas. When we lay this out we do not try to make it hard it just the terrain is technical. We are the probably the only club that go to all this trouble when we know there is only going to be 60 rides. This year 57 started and about 30 finish. We have lost money on this event for years. I’m ready to stop but as long as Brian is whiling we will keep doing it

Mr. Mark

Jan 6, 2000
No complaints here. I hope you guys keep this enduro going for a long time. I really thought the trails on the course were great. I'm suprirsed you don't have a larger turnout. I was woefully unprepared for this ride and would like to take another crack at it. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I would also be disappointed if you guys quit running it. I just started riding enduros and found the course very challenging. The terrain is a lot like I ride at my own place except you have more log crossings and a few places to get stuck. I didn't finish the race, but that should be blamed on my lack of fitness, not the difficulty of the course. I ride dirt bikes for the challenge and fun factors. I quit riding hasrescrambles at the grounds nearest to me, becasue I'm tired of riding 4 wheeler and dune buggy trails and calling it a harescramble. I thought the hills were great! I wish more races had large steep hills. Keep up the good work!!
By the way I'm trying to get a couple of my riding buddies to start riding enduros. They like challenging terrain as well.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I really enjoy the White City enduro because it is more of the old style enduro. I hope that the club keeps putting this enduro on for a long time. I just got off the phone with Brian and we were discussing rider turnouts and keeping enduros going. He really wants to keep the enduro going and I am in the same boat with the Byron enduro. Each year the Byron enduro gets harder and harder to put on with land issues, but I hope to keep it going for a long time. You guys have the land just not good rider turnout. Hopefully both of our issues will work out.

Anyway I think the club has been doing a great job the last couple of years and hopefully word will get out how good of an enduro this is and rider turnout will go up.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
As tough as it's been on me in the past, I really enjoy the challenge of the White City enduro and hope it keeps going for a long time. I missed it this year because of a job-related function but even without that conflict, the enduro was on the same date as the final round of the Missouri hare scrambles series. Had I been able to ride on the 19th, I would have had to choose Flat River because I needed the points. So if there's any way to consider the schedules of other series when planning the White City event, that could be helpful in attracting riders (I think the GNCC finale was also the same date). And this is just an outside observation since I only race a couple D-17 hare scrambles each year, but the D-17 H.S. schedule is really funky with the large number of events and all the instances where two or more D-17 clubs have races on the same dates. I'd guess the White City club has to give priority to that schedule when setting the date for the enduro, but there's so many events, it probably limits what dates they can choose. Not sure why you'd want more than one race on the same day and force clubs to compete with each other for the same group of riders. Seems like you wouldn't always get the same set of riders racing together...some would go where they thought they had the best chance at doing well. Not that my opinion is worth a whole lot (although I'm still a card-carrying member of D-17), but cutting down the number of races to one per club might actually improve each club's earning potential if they're not competing with other D-17 clubs. And more importantly for enduros like White City, mabye it frees up more dates to choose from that wouldn't conflict with other events. Again, just my opinion for what it's worth.

By the way, the hare scramble on Sunday was a blast! Awesome trails. Will get a race report on my website in the near future.

Bish

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I'm in agreement....GREAT RIDE!!! I would prefer if most were this tough. It is a shame you guys don't get a better turn out. I will be there every year you continue to put it on. Having lost money on our enduro this year, I can understand the dilema. I just hope that you guys find a way to keep putting it on.

Great job, great ride. If it's not too much to ask, could we get a little better arrowing in a few of those sections.

Top Bottom